Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Expatriate status

  • capt jack
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2004
      I just learned that one of my cousins, is an owner of an airlines in Slovakia. Isnt the new slovakia wonderful! Many of my family over there are becoming business owners.

      SkyEurope is the first low-cost airline in Central Europe. With bases in Hungary and the Slovak Republic, it is also the first multi-based airline in the region. As a low-cost air-carrier from a low-cost country, SkyEurope is well-equipped for competition in an enlarged European market.

      SkyEurope offers daily low-fare connections from London to Budapest and Bratislava from �17. It operates a route network of 14 destinations including Paris, Milan, Venice, Berlin, Stuttgart, Zurich, Prague, Split, Zadar, Dubrovnik and Ko�ice.

      It is because of this, that I am curious if I would be permitted to work over there, and buy a home while I do. This was the intent of my original question about working in Slovakia and also having a home there.

      CJ

    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2004
        CJ,
        My dream, also. Only I don't want to work. Just live there and enjoy the
        country and look for relatives to pester.
        Noreen

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2004
          > The Poles and the Czechs in particular have a great fear of the
          > 'almighty Deutschmark'. It may be the almighty Euro today, but these
          > two countries along with Slovakia have reason to fear rich westerners
          > coming in and buying up the land.

          Thanks, Ron, for the overview (and for suggesting the translation
          "brotherly sausage" elsewhere! -- BTW, -slava implies "glory," or
          "Slavdom," not "beauty"). Some old EU members have such laws, too: e.g,
          the Germans have not been allowed to buy summer cottages in Denmark.

          Slovakia is going to follow two tracks. Foreigners will be able to buy
          real estate beginning May 1, 2004 -- but not agricultural land (including
          forests). The citizens of the EU countries will be able to buy
          agricultural land in Slovakia beginning May 1, 2007, provided that they
          will have managed the land for three years, and will have had temporary
          residence in Slovakia.

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
            Thanks for the commentary, Martin. My typing is almost as bad as my
            languages skills, but it leads to some fun now and then. Yes, I do
            occasionally use a spell checker, but I access these forums through
            the internet and I have to cut and paste to spell check and correct
            for fumble fingers.

            Darn, the 'beauty' and 'glory' switcheroo for "Bratislava" was not
            the best! It took me some time to realize 'Sobota' and 'Svoboda' are
            different, even if Saturday most often means freedom. Perhaps I am
            repeating myself, but I have often pointed out similarities in German
            and Slovak. On the other side of the coin, there is 'jedes'
            for 'every' and Slovak 'jedno' for 'one'. No wonder they had trouble
            understanding one another... at least there is fun with the languages.

            Now when in Germany I knew a fellow from what sounded like
            the "Hunsrueck", which I took to be "Chicken Back" mountains west of
            Frankfurt, perhaps comparable to the Razorbacks in Arkansas. It
            turned out they only sounded much alike, it was not named after
            chickens.

            Getting serious, I am happy to see some of the uniformity coming in
            with the EU. On the positive side I see equal rights for people
            throughout the Community, and thus uniform majority and minority
            rights, hopefully ending a lot of the quibbling about minorities and
            accusations of discrimination. We will know West Europe is serious
            about minority expression and autonomist rule when they grant such
            rights to the Basques in France and Spain.... that will be a good
            example for Slovakia and Hungary.
          • capt jack
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
              Noreen,

              Yes I agree, would be nice to just be there and pester relatives as you said, but it also would be wonderful to contribute something to the new Slovakia as it moves ahead.

              CJ

            • J. Michutka
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004

                >Slovakia is going to follow two tracks. Foreigners will be able to buy
                >real estate beginning May 1, 2004 -- but not agricultural land (including
                >forests). The citizens of the EU countries will be able to buy
                >agricultural land in Slovakia beginning May 1, 2007, provided that they
                >will have managed the land for three years, and will have had temporary
                >residence in Slovakia.

                Weren't there some issues and hard feelings among Czechs whose cottages
                ended up just over the border in the Slovak Republic, after the split, who
                were no longer allowed to own land/cottages there because they weren't
                Slovaks? It sounds like the upcoming changes will reverse that--more hard
                feelings among those who had to give up/sell their cottages so recently?

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...
              • yawho2001
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > > The Poles and the Czechs in particular have a great fear of the
                  > > 'almighty Deutschmark'. It may be the almighty Euro today, but
                  these
                  > > two countries along with Slovakia have reason to fear rich
                  westerners
                  > > coming in and buying up the land.
                  >
                  > Thanks, Ron, for the overview (and for suggesting the translation
                  > "brotherly sausage" elsewhere! -- BTW, -slava implies "glory," or
                  > "Slavdom," not "beauty").

                  Martin, when I was taking a Russian course several years ago, the
                  instructor/translator (born in Russia) stated that Bratislava
                  translated to "Gateway to the Slavs". I mentioned that a few years
                  ago on this list and someone stated that it was not correct. As I
                  recall he said " BPRATA'(Russian) " pronounced "vrata" translates as
                  gate and as you said "slava" can mean glory or Slavdom. I did find a
                  Slovak definition for gate that was spelled "vra'ta". Do you know
                  the origin of the name Bratislava?

                  Janko
                • Martin Votruba
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
                    > Weren't there some issues and hard feelings among Czechs whose cottages
                    > ended up just over the border in the Slovak Republic, after the split,
                    > who were no longer allowed to own land/cottages

                    The split didn't affect ownership, Julie, just access -- that's what the
                    problem was. They were unhappy that they now had to travel all the way to
                    the nearest official border crossing and then on obscure unpaved forest
                    roads to get to them from the east, while their cottages (and a company's
                    holiday residence), just across the border in Slovakia, used to be
                    accessible easily on a dead-end asphalt road from the Moravian side.

                    No one lost property during the split no matter what and where in the
                    other new country it was (just the "nationalized" companies were divided
                    between Bratislava and Prague).

                    The complaints still persist. Bratislava and Prague are planning to relax
                    the limits on where the Slovak and Czech citizens are allowed to cross
                    their mutual border after they join the EU.

                    Martin

                    votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                  • J. Michutka
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
                      At 04:52 PM 2/3/04 -0500, you wrote:
                      > > Weren't there some issues and hard feelings among Czechs whose cottages
                      > > ended up just over the border in the Slovak Republic, after the split,
                      > > who were no longer allowed to own land/cottages
                      >
                      >The split didn't affect ownership, Julie, just access -- that's what the
                      >problem was. They were unhappy that they now had to travel all the way to
                      >the nearest official border crossing

                      Hmmm, guess I had mis-understood it all. Thanks for the explanation!

                      Julie