Re: [Slovak-World] Expatriate status

  • capt jack
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
      Thanks for the clarification Martin.

      CJ

    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2004
        Doc,

        We may expect the Slovaks to proceed slowly and carefully in allowing
        foreigners to buy land and property. The Poles and the Czechs in
        particular have a great fear of the 'almighty Deutschmark'. It may
        be the almighty Euro today, but these two countries along with
        Slovakia have reason to fear rich westerners coming in and buying up
        the land. This ties in with the German settlers being kicked out
        after the war, the continued vague claims these people put forth and
        the problems they tried to pose, for example, to Czech entry into the
        EU. I believe the Poles negotiated a seven year delay in free sale
        of property, and I am not what the Czechs and Slovaks intend.

        Part of the reasons for so much fallow land in these post-communist
        countries is that some land remains in disputed ownership, and where
        land has been returned to private holders, many do not have the
        necessary capital to buy the machinery or fix up the buildings to
        operate the farm properly. Currently it appears a very substantial
        part of Czech farmland is leased to Germans who do have the necessary
        capital. I can only suspect that the Slovaks fear the same
        situation, and in the name of 'equality', Slovak-Americans must be
        treated as any other foreigner. Of course, if they grant us special
        status, then they cannot object if the Hungarians grant Slovak-
        Hungarians special status.

        A fine bowl of ethnic spaghetti and politics!

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@y...>

      • capt jack
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2004
          I just learned that one of my cousins, is an owner of an airlines in Slovakia. Isnt the new slovakia wonderful! Many of my family over there are becoming business owners.

          SkyEurope is the first low-cost airline in Central Europe. With bases in Hungary and the Slovak Republic, it is also the first multi-based airline in the region. As a low-cost air-carrier from a low-cost country, SkyEurope is well-equipped for competition in an enlarged European market.

          SkyEurope offers daily low-fare connections from London to Budapest and Bratislava from �17. It operates a route network of 14 destinations including Paris, Milan, Venice, Berlin, Stuttgart, Zurich, Prague, Split, Zadar, Dubrovnik and Ko�ice.

          It is because of this, that I am curious if I would be permitted to work over there, and buy a home while I do. This was the intent of my original question about working in Slovakia and also having a home there.

          CJ

        • krejc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2004
            CJ,
            My dream, also. Only I don't want to work. Just live there and enjoy the
            country and look for relatives to pester.
            Noreen

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2004
              > The Poles and the Czechs in particular have a great fear of the
              > 'almighty Deutschmark'. It may be the almighty Euro today, but these
              > two countries along with Slovakia have reason to fear rich westerners
              > coming in and buying up the land.

              Thanks, Ron, for the overview (and for suggesting the translation
              "brotherly sausage" elsewhere! -- BTW, -slava implies "glory," or
              "Slavdom," not "beauty"). Some old EU members have such laws, too: e.g,
              the Germans have not been allowed to buy summer cottages in Denmark.

              Slovakia is going to follow two tracks. Foreigners will be able to buy
              real estate beginning May 1, 2004 -- but not agricultural land (including
              forests). The citizens of the EU countries will be able to buy
              agricultural land in Slovakia beginning May 1, 2007, provided that they
              will have managed the land for three years, and will have had temporary
              residence in Slovakia.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
                Thanks for the commentary, Martin. My typing is almost as bad as my
                languages skills, but it leads to some fun now and then. Yes, I do
                occasionally use a spell checker, but I access these forums through
                the internet and I have to cut and paste to spell check and correct
                for fumble fingers.

                Darn, the 'beauty' and 'glory' switcheroo for "Bratislava" was not
                the best! It took me some time to realize 'Sobota' and 'Svoboda' are
                different, even if Saturday most often means freedom. Perhaps I am
                repeating myself, but I have often pointed out similarities in German
                and Slovak. On the other side of the coin, there is 'jedes'
                for 'every' and Slovak 'jedno' for 'one'. No wonder they had trouble
                understanding one another... at least there is fun with the languages.

                Now when in Germany I knew a fellow from what sounded like
                the "Hunsrueck", which I took to be "Chicken Back" mountains west of
                Frankfurt, perhaps comparable to the Razorbacks in Arkansas. It
                turned out they only sounded much alike, it was not named after
                chickens.

                Getting serious, I am happy to see some of the uniformity coming in
                with the EU. On the positive side I see equal rights for people
                throughout the Community, and thus uniform majority and minority
                rights, hopefully ending a lot of the quibbling about minorities and
                accusations of discrimination. We will know West Europe is serious
                about minority expression and autonomist rule when they grant such
                rights to the Basques in France and Spain.... that will be a good
                example for Slovakia and Hungary.
              • capt jack
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
                  Noreen,

                  Yes I agree, would be nice to just be there and pester relatives as you said, but it also would be wonderful to contribute something to the new Slovakia as it moves ahead.

                  CJ

                • J. Michutka
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004

                    >Slovakia is going to follow two tracks. Foreigners will be able to buy
                    >real estate beginning May 1, 2004 -- but not agricultural land (including
                    >forests). The citizens of the EU countries will be able to buy
                    >agricultural land in Slovakia beginning May 1, 2007, provided that they
                    >will have managed the land for three years, and will have had temporary
                    >residence in Slovakia.

                    Weren't there some issues and hard feelings among Czechs whose cottages
                    ended up just over the border in the Slovak Republic, after the split, who
                    were no longer allowed to own land/cottages there because they weren't
                    Slovaks? It sounds like the upcoming changes will reverse that--more hard
                    feelings among those who had to give up/sell their cottages so recently?

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...
                  • yawho2001
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > > The Poles and the Czechs in particular have a great fear of the
                      > > 'almighty Deutschmark'. It may be the almighty Euro today, but
                      these
                      > > two countries along with Slovakia have reason to fear rich
                      westerners
                      > > coming in and buying up the land.
                      >
                      > Thanks, Ron, for the overview (and for suggesting the translation
                      > "brotherly sausage" elsewhere! -- BTW, -slava implies "glory," or
                      > "Slavdom," not "beauty").

                      Martin, when I was taking a Russian course several years ago, the
                      instructor/translator (born in Russia) stated that Bratislava
                      translated to "Gateway to the Slavs". I mentioned that a few years
                      ago on this list and someone stated that it was not correct. As I
                      recall he said " BPRATA'(Russian) " pronounced "vrata" translates as
                      gate and as you said "slava" can mean glory or Slavdom. I did find a
                      Slovak definition for gate that was spelled "vra'ta". Do you know
                      the origin of the name Bratislava?

                      Janko
                    • Martin Votruba
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
                        > Weren't there some issues and hard feelings among Czechs whose cottages
                        > ended up just over the border in the Slovak Republic, after the split,
                        > who were no longer allowed to own land/cottages

                        The split didn't affect ownership, Julie, just access -- that's what the
                        problem was. They were unhappy that they now had to travel all the way to
                        the nearest official border crossing and then on obscure unpaved forest
                        roads to get to them from the east, while their cottages (and a company's
                        holiday residence), just across the border in Slovakia, used to be
                        accessible easily on a dead-end asphalt road from the Moravian side.

                        No one lost property during the split no matter what and where in the
                        other new country it was (just the "nationalized" companies were divided
                        between Bratislava and Prague).

                        The complaints still persist. Bratislava and Prague are planning to relax
                        the limits on where the Slovak and Czech citizens are allowed to cross
                        their mutual border after they join the EU.

                        Martin

                        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                      • J. Michutka
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
                          At 04:52 PM 2/3/04 -0500, you wrote:
                          > > Weren't there some issues and hard feelings among Czechs whose cottages
                          > > ended up just over the border in the Slovak Republic, after the split,
                          > > who were no longer allowed to own land/cottages
                          >
                          >The split didn't affect ownership, Julie, just access -- that's what the
                          >problem was. They were unhappy that they now had to travel all the way to
                          >the nearest official border crossing

                          Hmmm, guess I had mis-understood it all. Thanks for the explanation!

                          Julie