Re: [Slovak-World] Expatriate status

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1 8:27 PM
      Thank you for the details.

      Perhaps the realignment of the laws will include
      permission for people who are not Slovak citizens to
      buy property in Slovakia?

      Dr. "Q"

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1 8:35 PM
        Thanks for the clarification Martin.

        CJ

      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1 9:50 PM
          Doc,

          We may expect the Slovaks to proceed slowly and carefully in allowing
          foreigners to buy land and property. The Poles and the Czechs in
          particular have a great fear of the 'almighty Deutschmark'. It may
          be the almighty Euro today, but these two countries along with
          Slovakia have reason to fear rich westerners coming in and buying up
          the land. This ties in with the German settlers being kicked out
          after the war, the continued vague claims these people put forth and
          the problems they tried to pose, for example, to Czech entry into the
          EU. I believe the Poles negotiated a seven year delay in free sale
          of property, and I am not what the Czechs and Slovaks intend.

          Part of the reasons for so much fallow land in these post-communist
          countries is that some land remains in disputed ownership, and where
          land has been returned to private holders, many do not have the
          necessary capital to buy the machinery or fix up the buildings to
          operate the farm properly. Currently it appears a very substantial
          part of Czech farmland is leased to Germans who do have the necessary
          capital. I can only suspect that the Slovaks fear the same
          situation, and in the name of 'equality', Slovak-Americans must be
          treated as any other foreigner. Of course, if they grant us special
          status, then they cannot object if the Hungarians grant Slovak-
          Hungarians special status.

          A fine bowl of ethnic spaghetti and politics!

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@y...>

        • capt jack
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2 3:53 PM
            I just learned that one of my cousins, is an owner of an airlines in Slovakia. Isnt the new slovakia wonderful! Many of my family over there are becoming business owners.

            SkyEurope is the first low-cost airline in Central Europe. With bases in Hungary and the Slovak Republic, it is also the first multi-based airline in the region. As a low-cost air-carrier from a low-cost country, SkyEurope is well-equipped for competition in an enlarged European market.

            SkyEurope offers daily low-fare connections from London to Budapest and Bratislava from �17. It operates a route network of 14 destinations including Paris, Milan, Venice, Berlin, Stuttgart, Zurich, Prague, Split, Zadar, Dubrovnik and Ko�ice.

            It is because of this, that I am curious if I would be permitted to work over there, and buy a home while I do. This was the intent of my original question about working in Slovakia and also having a home there.

            CJ

          • krejc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2 6:36 PM
              CJ,
              My dream, also. Only I don't want to work. Just live there and enjoy the
              country and look for relatives to pester.
              Noreen

            • Martin Votruba
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2 8:11 PM
                > The Poles and the Czechs in particular have a great fear of the
                > 'almighty Deutschmark'. It may be the almighty Euro today, but these
                > two countries along with Slovakia have reason to fear rich westerners
                > coming in and buying up the land.

                Thanks, Ron, for the overview (and for suggesting the translation
                "brotherly sausage" elsewhere! -- BTW, -slava implies "glory," or
                "Slavdom," not "beauty"). Some old EU members have such laws, too: e.g,
                the Germans have not been allowed to buy summer cottages in Denmark.

                Slovakia is going to follow two tracks. Foreigners will be able to buy
                real estate beginning May 1, 2004 -- but not agricultural land (including
                forests). The citizens of the EU countries will be able to buy
                agricultural land in Slovakia beginning May 1, 2007, provided that they
                will have managed the land for three years, and will have had temporary
                residence in Slovakia.

                Martin

                votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 3 12:07 AM
                  Thanks for the commentary, Martin. My typing is almost as bad as my
                  languages skills, but it leads to some fun now and then. Yes, I do
                  occasionally use a spell checker, but I access these forums through
                  the internet and I have to cut and paste to spell check and correct
                  for fumble fingers.

                  Darn, the 'beauty' and 'glory' switcheroo for "Bratislava" was not
                  the best! It took me some time to realize 'Sobota' and 'Svoboda' are
                  different, even if Saturday most often means freedom. Perhaps I am
                  repeating myself, but I have often pointed out similarities in German
                  and Slovak. On the other side of the coin, there is 'jedes'
                  for 'every' and Slovak 'jedno' for 'one'. No wonder they had trouble
                  understanding one another... at least there is fun with the languages.

                  Now when in Germany I knew a fellow from what sounded like
                  the "Hunsrueck", which I took to be "Chicken Back" mountains west of
                  Frankfurt, perhaps comparable to the Razorbacks in Arkansas. It
                  turned out they only sounded much alike, it was not named after
                  chickens.

                  Getting serious, I am happy to see some of the uniformity coming in
                  with the EU. On the positive side I see equal rights for people
                  throughout the Community, and thus uniform majority and minority
                  rights, hopefully ending a lot of the quibbling about minorities and
                  accusations of discrimination. We will know West Europe is serious
                  about minority expression and autonomist rule when they grant such
                  rights to the Basques in France and Spain.... that will be a good
                  example for Slovakia and Hungary.
                • capt jack
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 3 9:34 AM
                    Noreen,

                    Yes I agree, would be nice to just be there and pester relatives as you said, but it also would be wonderful to contribute something to the new Slovakia as it moves ahead.

                    CJ

                  • J. Michutka
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 3 10:39 AM

                      >Slovakia is going to follow two tracks. Foreigners will be able to buy
                      >real estate beginning May 1, 2004 -- but not agricultural land (including
                      >forests). The citizens of the EU countries will be able to buy
                      >agricultural land in Slovakia beginning May 1, 2007, provided that they
                      >will have managed the land for three years, and will have had temporary
                      >residence in Slovakia.

                      Weren't there some issues and hard feelings among Czechs whose cottages
                      ended up just over the border in the Slovak Republic, after the split, who
                      were no longer allowed to own land/cottages there because they weren't
                      Slovaks? It sounds like the upcoming changes will reverse that--more hard
                      feelings among those who had to give up/sell their cottages so recently?

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...
                    • yawho2001
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 3 10:42 AM
                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Martin Votruba <votrubam@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > > The Poles and the Czechs in particular have a great fear of the
                        > > 'almighty Deutschmark'. It may be the almighty Euro today, but
                        these
                        > > two countries along with Slovakia have reason to fear rich
                        westerners
                        > > coming in and buying up the land.
                        >
                        > Thanks, Ron, for the overview (and for suggesting the translation
                        > "brotherly sausage" elsewhere! -- BTW, -slava implies "glory," or
                        > "Slavdom," not "beauty").

                        Martin, when I was taking a Russian course several years ago, the
                        instructor/translator (born in Russia) stated that Bratislava
                        translated to "Gateway to the Slavs". I mentioned that a few years
                        ago on this list and someone stated that it was not correct. As I
                        recall he said " BPRATA'(Russian) " pronounced "vrata" translates as
                        gate and as you said "slava" can mean glory or Slavdom. I did find a
                        Slovak definition for gate that was spelled "vra'ta". Do you know
                        the origin of the name Bratislava?

                        Janko
                      • Martin Votruba
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 3 1:52 PM
                          > Weren't there some issues and hard feelings among Czechs whose cottages
                          > ended up just over the border in the Slovak Republic, after the split,
                          > who were no longer allowed to own land/cottages

                          The split didn't affect ownership, Julie, just access -- that's what the
                          problem was. They were unhappy that they now had to travel all the way to
                          the nearest official border crossing and then on obscure unpaved forest
                          roads to get to them from the east, while their cottages (and a company's
                          holiday residence), just across the border in Slovakia, used to be
                          accessible easily on a dead-end asphalt road from the Moravian side.

                          No one lost property during the split no matter what and where in the
                          other new country it was (just the "nationalized" companies were divided
                          between Bratislava and Prague).

                          The complaints still persist. Bratislava and Prague are planning to relax
                          the limits on where the Slovak and Czech citizens are allowed to cross
                          their mutual border after they join the EU.

                          Martin

                          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
                        • J. Michutka
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 3 5:52 PM
                            At 04:52 PM 2/3/04 -0500, you wrote:
                            > > Weren't there some issues and hard feelings among Czechs whose cottages
                            > > ended up just over the border in the Slovak Republic, after the split,
                            > > who were no longer allowed to own land/cottages
                            >
                            >The split didn't affect ownership, Julie, just access -- that's what the
                            >problem was. They were unhappy that they now had to travel all the way to
                            >the nearest official border crossing

                            Hmmm, guess I had mis-understood it all. Thanks for the explanation!

                            Julie