Re: Does anyone know about the closing of Holy Trinity Slovak ...

  • yawho2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
      From :
      http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/inquirer/news/opinion/local2/region/
      7464853.htm

      Letters | Article failed to say why closing is unjustified (posted
      12/11/03)

      In David O'Reilly's Dec. 3 article, "Archdiocese offices picketed:
      Members of Holy Trinity parish in Pottstown marched with signs to
      protest its closing next year," he failed to mention why we feel the
      closing is unjustified.

      Holy Trinity remains a stable and vibrant parish of about 600
      parishioners, which represents a 19 percent growth in the last 15
      months. In contrast, surrounding parishes have lost thousands of
      parishioners in the last five years.

      Closing Holy Trinity would not lessen our pastor's workload. Several
      priests have offered their help with weekend Masses, but he has not
      asked for their assistance. We have even been denied permission to
      sponsor a priest from Slovakia.

      There are many successfully "twinned" parishes in the nation. It is
      the pastor's willingness to collaborate with his parishioners that
      makes for successful twinning relationships.

      We are told there is no need for a Slovak parish in Pottstown.
      Language is only a small part of what constitutes many personal
      parishes today; what's important is the cultural identity we share.
      Since the church's founding, our parishioners have selflessly given
      our time, talents and treasure to maintain our parish spiritually,
      physically and financially. The church is in excellent condition, and
      our treasury contains more than $1 million.

      Bonnie Stankunas
      Parishioner
      Holy Trinity, Pottstown
      *******

      It looks like they are forming parish clusters (?). Perhaps the
      parish may stay in existence.

      http://www.saintaloysius.net/parish/cluster77.shtml

      Janko
    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
        Wow! Sure sounds like your church is doing something right. Up here in the
        Panther Valley area of PA. one of the priests has three churches. This is
        quite a work load for him. One is a Slovak Church which is doing fine.
        David Kuchta