Re: [Slovak-World] Does anyone know about the closing of Holy Trinity Slovak ...

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
      I think that my Lutheran Slovak family attended a Holy Trinity Church in
      Bridgeport, CT.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
        From :
        http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/inquirer/news/opinion/local2/region/
        7464853.htm

        Letters | Article failed to say why closing is unjustified (posted
        12/11/03)

        In David O'Reilly's Dec. 3 article, "Archdiocese offices picketed:
        Members of Holy Trinity parish in Pottstown marched with signs to
        protest its closing next year," he failed to mention why we feel the
        closing is unjustified.

        Holy Trinity remains a stable and vibrant parish of about 600
        parishioners, which represents a 19 percent growth in the last 15
        months. In contrast, surrounding parishes have lost thousands of
        parishioners in the last five years.

        Closing Holy Trinity would not lessen our pastor's workload. Several
        priests have offered their help with weekend Masses, but he has not
        asked for their assistance. We have even been denied permission to
        sponsor a priest from Slovakia.

        There are many successfully "twinned" parishes in the nation. It is
        the pastor's willingness to collaborate with his parishioners that
        makes for successful twinning relationships.

        We are told there is no need for a Slovak parish in Pottstown.
        Language is only a small part of what constitutes many personal
        parishes today; what's important is the cultural identity we share.
        Since the church's founding, our parishioners have selflessly given
        our time, talents and treasure to maintain our parish spiritually,
        physically and financially. The church is in excellent condition, and
        our treasury contains more than $1 million.

        Bonnie Stankunas
        Parishioner
        Holy Trinity, Pottstown
        *******

        It looks like they are forming parish clusters (?). Perhaps the
        parish may stay in existence.

        http://www.saintaloysius.net/parish/cluster77.shtml

        Janko
      • David
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
          Wow! Sure sounds like your church is doing something right. Up here in the
          Panther Valley area of PA. one of the priests has three churches. This is
          quite a work load for him. One is a Slovak Church which is doing fine.
          David Kuchta