Re: [Slovak-World] Does anyone know about the closing of Holy Trinity Slovak ...

  • Linn4@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
      Apparently, Holy Trinity was a favored name for a Slovak parish... there is
      a Holy Trinity in West Mifflin PA that was founded over a 100 yrs ago. It is
      still in existence and almost exclusively still Slovak.
      Merle Pastrick (Pastirik) Linn

    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
        And there is a Most Holy Trinity in Yonkers, New York. It is a big part of
        the book
        "Slovaks on the Hudson" by Thomas Shelley which came out in September of
        2002.
        Noreen

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
          I think that my Lutheran Slovak family attended a Holy Trinity Church in
          Bridgeport, CT.

          > Apparently, Holy Trinity was a favored name for a Slovak parish... there
          is
          > a Holy Trinity in West Mifflin PA that was founded over a 100 yrs ago. It
          is
          > still in existence and almost exclusively still Slovak.
          > Merle Pastrick (Pastirik) Linn

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • yawho2001
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
            From :
            http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/inquirer/news/opinion/local2/region/
            7464853.htm

            Letters | Article failed to say why closing is unjustified (posted
            12/11/03)

            In David O'Reilly's Dec. 3 article, "Archdiocese offices picketed:
            Members of Holy Trinity parish in Pottstown marched with signs to
            protest its closing next year," he failed to mention why we feel the
            closing is unjustified.

            Holy Trinity remains a stable and vibrant parish of about 600
            parishioners, which represents a 19 percent growth in the last 15
            months. In contrast, surrounding parishes have lost thousands of
            parishioners in the last five years.

            Closing Holy Trinity would not lessen our pastor's workload. Several
            priests have offered their help with weekend Masses, but he has not
            asked for their assistance. We have even been denied permission to
            sponsor a priest from Slovakia.

            There are many successfully "twinned" parishes in the nation. It is
            the pastor's willingness to collaborate with his parishioners that
            makes for successful twinning relationships.

            We are told there is no need for a Slovak parish in Pottstown.
            Language is only a small part of what constitutes many personal
            parishes today; what's important is the cultural identity we share.
            Since the church's founding, our parishioners have selflessly given
            our time, talents and treasure to maintain our parish spiritually,
            physically and financially. The church is in excellent condition, and
            our treasury contains more than $1 million.

            Bonnie Stankunas
            Parishioner
            Holy Trinity, Pottstown
            *******

            It looks like they are forming parish clusters (?). Perhaps the
            parish may stay in existence.

            http://www.saintaloysius.net/parish/cluster77.shtml

            Janko
          • David
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
              Wow! Sure sounds like your church is doing something right. Up here in the
              Panther Valley area of PA. one of the priests has three churches. This is
              quite a work load for him. One is a Slovak Church which is doing fine.
              David Kuchta