Re: [Slovak-World] State holiday

  • Jan Lan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
      At 07:19 PM 2/1/2004 +0000, you wrote:
      >Actually a most appropriate greeting for 2 February is "Happy Ham Salad
      >Day" or "Happy Minced Ham Day" ...................
      >
      >geddit ... Minced Ham/ Ham Salad ---- ground hog
      >
      >*groan*
      >(ducking)
      >
      >Tony P

      Are you speaking of Masticated Marmot day? Maintaining a Slovak connection
      the date in Slovakia would be observed as Hromnice (Candlemas) or
      maintaining the American connection "Majte sa s^t'asny Svis^t' Den~" alebo
      "Majte sa s^t'asny Pôda-Svin~a Den~". ;-)

      Janko
    • capt jack
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
        bratwurst is of german origin, and Wisconsin is famous for its Bratwurst and german butcher shops. Every time I travel to California, I have to lug tens of pounds of this sausage with me, or suffer a fate worse than death from friends and relatives awaiting its arrival.

        CJ

      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
          I hope the answer to your question is that 'bratwurst' is German or
          grill sausage. I would hate to think that Slovak 'bratwurst' would
          translate to 'brother sausage'.

          Now as long as I am picking on the Germans, they also sesell cutlets
          from Vienese, from Gypsies and Hunters. When they will run out of
          people from these three groups I cannot guess - but it keeps the
          poulation down! (Wienerschnitzel, Zigeunerschnitzel and
          Jagerschnitzel).

          I am happy enough that we have Bratislava - city of beautiful
          brothers. Every time I see referemce to the town of Velky Kapusany
          in eeastern Slovakia, I think of the town of the "great cabbage".

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "theoldpro" <theoldpro@n...>