Re: [Slovak-World] State holiday

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
      Yeah, I do like a good bratwurst every now and again.

      Now there is a good question .. which came first .. the bratwurst or the
      kolbasi!

      As to playing with words, I've always had fun with that. At the risk at
      being nasty, I won't even tell the one about the Slovak guy visiting the
      USA who took his life into his own hands driving up the windy twisty
      mountain road to the town at the peak in search of prostitutes --- all in
      reaction to twisty road warning signs along the route. (Knowledge of one
      Slovak word is needed for this one!)

      Tony P

      At 19:36 2/1/2004, theoldpro wrote:
      >But we have two folks who can make up
      >new ideas/images from the English language.
      >
      >Tony, I guess you like Bratwurst? Right?
      >Is Bratwurst a Polish, Slovak, or German sausage?
    • Jan Lan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
        At 07:19 PM 2/1/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >Actually a most appropriate greeting for 2 February is "Happy Ham Salad
        >Day" or "Happy Minced Ham Day" ...................
        >
        >geddit ... Minced Ham/ Ham Salad ---- ground hog
        >
        >*groan*
        >(ducking)
        >
        >Tony P

        Are you speaking of Masticated Marmot day? Maintaining a Slovak connection
        the date in Slovakia would be observed as Hromnice (Candlemas) or
        maintaining the American connection "Majte sa s^t'asny Svis^t' Den~" alebo
        "Majte sa s^t'asny Pôda-Svin~a Den~". ;-)

        Janko
      • capt jack
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
          bratwurst is of german origin, and Wisconsin is famous for its Bratwurst and german butcher shops. Every time I travel to California, I have to lug tens of pounds of this sausage with me, or suffer a fate worse than death from friends and relatives awaiting its arrival.

          CJ

        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
            I hope the answer to your question is that 'bratwurst' is German or
            grill sausage. I would hate to think that Slovak 'bratwurst' would
            translate to 'brother sausage'.

            Now as long as I am picking on the Germans, they also sesell cutlets
            from Vienese, from Gypsies and Hunters. When they will run out of
            people from these three groups I cannot guess - but it keeps the
            poulation down! (Wienerschnitzel, Zigeunerschnitzel and
            Jagerschnitzel).

            I am happy enough that we have Bratislava - city of beautiful
            brothers. Every time I see referemce to the town of Velky Kapusany
            in eeastern Slovakia, I think of the town of the "great cabbage".

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "theoldpro" <theoldpro@n...>