Re: [Slovak-World] State holiday

  • agp@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
      Actually a most appropriate greeting for 2 February is "Happy Ham Salad
      Day" or "Happy Minced Ham Day" ...................

      geddit ... Minced Ham/ Ham Salad ---- ground hog

      *groan*
      (ducking)

      Tony P
      --on a whole I'd much rather be in Bratislava

      At 13:47 2/1/2004, David wrote:
      >Hello to all my Slovak, German American friends: Tomorrow (Feb. 2, 2004)
      >is a PA state holiday of sorts. I would like to wish everyone...
      >A Happy "Grundsow" Day.
    • theoldpro
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hello Tony P,

        A nice "play on words" When I first read your post,
        I thought it would be Janko.

        But we have two folks who can make up
        new ideas/images from the English language.

        Tony, I guess you like Bratwurst? Right?
        Is Bratwurst a Polish, Slovak, or German sausage?

        S'Bohom

        theoldpro
        http://friends.theoldpro.net/ocdc

      • agp@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
          Yeah, I do like a good bratwurst every now and again.

          Now there is a good question .. which came first .. the bratwurst or the
          kolbasi!

          As to playing with words, I've always had fun with that. At the risk at
          being nasty, I won't even tell the one about the Slovak guy visiting the
          USA who took his life into his own hands driving up the windy twisty
          mountain road to the town at the peak in search of prostitutes --- all in
          reaction to twisty road warning signs along the route. (Knowledge of one
          Slovak word is needed for this one!)

          Tony P

          At 19:36 2/1/2004, theoldpro wrote:
          >But we have two folks who can make up
          >new ideas/images from the English language.
          >
          >Tony, I guess you like Bratwurst? Right?
          >Is Bratwurst a Polish, Slovak, or German sausage?
        • Jan Lan
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
            At 07:19 PM 2/1/2004 +0000, you wrote:
            >Actually a most appropriate greeting for 2 February is "Happy Ham Salad
            >Day" or "Happy Minced Ham Day" ...................
            >
            >geddit ... Minced Ham/ Ham Salad ---- ground hog
            >
            >*groan*
            >(ducking)
            >
            >Tony P

            Are you speaking of Masticated Marmot day? Maintaining a Slovak connection
            the date in Slovakia would be observed as Hromnice (Candlemas) or
            maintaining the American connection "Majte sa s^t'asny Svis^t' Den~" alebo
            "Majte sa s^t'asny Pôda-Svin~a Den~". ;-)

            Janko
          • David
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
              Hello to all my Slovak, German American friends: Tomorrow (Feb. 2, 2004)
              is a PA state holiday of sorts. I would like to wish everyone...
              A Happy "Grundsow" Day.

              This sleepy eyed creature will tell us if we are going to have six more
              weeks of winter, or if spring is on the way. Only in America! He/she will
              need a snowplow to remove all the snow from in front of their dens. There
              is about 12inches of snow on the ground.

              David Kuchta
            • capt jack
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
                bratwurst is of german origin, and Wisconsin is famous for its Bratwurst and german butcher shops. Every time I travel to California, I have to lug tens of pounds of this sausage with me, or suffer a fate worse than death from friends and relatives awaiting its arrival.

                CJ

              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
                  I hope the answer to your question is that 'bratwurst' is German or
                  grill sausage. I would hate to think that Slovak 'bratwurst' would
                  translate to 'brother sausage'.

                  Now as long as I am picking on the Germans, they also sesell cutlets
                  from Vienese, from Gypsies and Hunters. When they will run out of
                  people from these three groups I cannot guess - but it keeps the
                  poulation down! (Wienerschnitzel, Zigeunerschnitzel and
                  Jagerschnitzel).

                  I am happy enough that we have Bratislava - city of beautiful
                  brothers. Every time I see referemce to the town of Velky Kapusany
                  in eeastern Slovakia, I think of the town of the "great cabbage".

                  Ron

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "theoldpro" <theoldpro@n...>