Re: [Slovak-World] translation

  • krejc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2004
      Martin,
      Thank you very much for giving the translation of their decision. Vladimir
      L. said the same thing which you did concerning the current status of the
      expatriate card and I am just keeping my fingers crossed that they either keep the
      expatriate status or offer something else.
      Noreen

    • john peterson
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 10 4:56 PM
        "ne pl'ut' v prameni pretoze raz m�z^ete chciet k pitiu od to."
        Actually, this does not say do not spit into the well, it is written in old Slovak, and correctly translated, says do not spit into the source..........

        Close enough though

      • sandman6294
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 10 7:26 PM
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, john peterson <area982000@y...>

          wrote:
          >"ne pl'ut' v prameni pretoze raz môz^ete chciet k pitiu od to."
          Actually, this does not say do not spit into the well, it is written
          in old Slovak, and correctly translated, says do not spit into the
          source.......... <

          >Close enough though<

          Thanks. Should I have used "studn~a"? For some reason I associate
          that word with spring house, a place to keep things cool. I wonder
          if it derives from the word "studena" (cold). I know my parents made
          a dish called studen^ina (sp) in the winter which was basically
          boiled pigs feet. After boiling the bejabbers out of the pigs feet,
          all but the meat and fluid was removed and then the dish was placed
          in a cold location to gel. Tasted great properly seasoned with salt
          and pepper and eaten with fresh rye bread.

          RU
        • J. Michutka
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 10 8:21 PM
            >I know my parents made
            >a dish called studen^ina (sp) in the winter which was basically
            >boiled pigs feet. After boiling the bejabbers out of the pigs feet,
            >all but the meat and fluid was removed and then the dish was placed
            >in a cold location to gel. Tasted great properly seasoned with salt
            >and pepper and eaten with fresh rye bread.

            My dad loved to make this stuff. Kept it in a glass bowl in the frig. I
            thought it looked disgusting, and refused to try it!

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...
          • john peterson
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 10 9:50 PM
              "studn~a" would be correct, although I am not sure what you are referring to when you say spring house. I don't get the correlation between that and well. I am familiar with the pigs feet, we refereed to that as pickled pigs feet. I remember pulling them out of the gelatin creating a sucking sound, and eating them.

              sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote: --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, john peterson <area982000@y...>

              wrote:
              >"ne pl'ut' v prameni pretoze raz m�z^ete chciet k pitiu od to."
              Actually, this does not say do not spit into the well, it is written
              in old Slovak, and correctly translated, says do not spit into the
              source.......... <

              >Close enough though<

              Thanks. Should I have used "studn~a"? For some reason I associate
              that word with spring house, a place to keep things cool. I wonder
              if it derives from the word "studena" (cold). I know my parents made
              a dish called studen^ina (sp) in the winter which was basically
              boiled pigs feet. After boiling the bejabbers out of the pigs feet,
              all but the meat and fluid was removed and then the dish was placed
              in a cold location to gel. Tasted great properly seasoned with salt
              and pepper and eaten with fresh rye bread.

              RU

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 11 11:07 AM
                We called that boiled pig's feet concoction "huspenina" and I loved. My
                father did also. Haven't had it in a long time but I surely remember it fondly.
                Pavel

              • BJLK@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 11 5:31 PM
                  In a message dated 7/11/2004 12:26:15 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  area982000@... writes:

                  ne pl'ut' v prameni . . .

                  Since no one has yet mentioned it, pramen~ can also refer to one of those
                  lovely mountain springs that gush up out of the earth with crystal-clear, natural
                  mineral water. My mother once described to me a beautiful one she discovered
                  near her home high up in the Tatras. She promised to show it to me when we
                  could go for a visit, but she did not live long enough to keep her promise.
                • Bernardine Weigand
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 11 8:06 PM
                    sandman6294 wrote:
                    > snip...............................................snip....................
                    > ---

                    > Thanks. Should I have used "studn~a"? For some reason I associate
                    > that word with spring house, a place to keep things cool. I wonder
                    > if it derives from the word "studena" (cold). I know my parents made
                    > a dish called studen^ina (sp) in the winter which was basically
                    > boiled pigs feet. After boiling the bejabbers out of the pigs feet,
                    > all but the meat and fluid was removed and then the dish was placed
                    > in a cold location to gel. Tasted great properly seasoned with salt
                    > and pepper and eaten with fresh rye bread.
                    >
                    > RU

                    ----------------------
                    This sounds exactly like my one of my Baba's preparations. We called it--I shall spell it phoonetically--"Kuch-uh-nin-ah". I loved it although my siblings wouldn't touch or taste it. I haven't had it in years, as my Mom never prepared it . So after Baba died, that was it.

                    Ah yes, served properly seasoned on fresh Jewish rye from the local bakery.

                    Bernardine

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 11 8:17 PM
                      Hi: A springhouse is usually a small building, about 4X5 foot that is built
                      over a spring, sometimes larger, where water comes up out of the ground .
                      The springhouse is cold all year long. Many farmers used this as their ice
                      boxes in the years before the refrigerators came on to the market. Of
                      course, not all farmers had springs bubbling out of the ground on their
                      property. The ones that do now a days could make a fortune on selling
                      bottled spring water. I have seen many of these springhouses in my time.
                      Some are large and you can see the water literally bubbling up out of the
                      earth. The water is always clean and cold and tastes great!
                      Dave Kuchta

                      At 09:50 PM 7/10/2004 -0700, you wrote:
                      >"studn~a" would be correct, although I am not sure what you are referring
                      >to when you say spring house. I don't get the correlation between that
                      >and well. I am familiar with the pigs feet, we refereed to that as
                      >pickled pigs feet. I remember pulling them out of the gelatin creating a
                      >sucking sound, and eating them.
                      >
                      >sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote: --- In
                      >Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, john peterson <area982000@y...>
                      >wrote:
                      > > "ne pl'ut' v prameni pretoze raz môz^ete chciet k pitiu od to."
                      > > Actually, this does not say do not spit into the well, it is
                      >written in old Slovak, and correctly translated, says do not spit
                      >into the source..........
                      > >
                      > > Close enough though
                      >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, john peterson <area982000@y...>
                      >wrote:
                      > >"ne pl'ut' v prameni pretoze raz môz^ete chciet k pitiu od to."
                      >Actually, this does not say do not spit into the well, it is written
                      >in old Slovak, and correctly translated, says do not spit into the
                      >source.......... <
                      >
                      > >Close enough though<
                      >
                      >Thanks. Should I have used "studn~a"? For some reason I associate
                      >that word with spring house, a place to keep things cool. I wonder
                      >if it derives from the word "studena" (cold). I know my parents made
                      >a dish called studen^ina (sp) in the winter which was basically
                      >boiled pigs feet. After boiling the bejabbers out of the pigs feet,
                      >all but the meat and fluid was removed and then the dish was placed
                      >in a cold location to gel. Tasted great properly seasoned with salt
                      >and pepper and eaten with fresh rye bread.
                      >
                      >RU
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Gil K.