Where do you check obituaries?

  • goslovakia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
      Where in Slovakia would you go to check Obituaries for the 1980-2000 time frame, if you don't know what town they lived in?

      Geo
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
        > Where in Slovakia would you go to check Obituaries

        Obituaries do not appear in Slovak newspapers to the extent that they do
        in the U.S. -- there are no such obituary sections. Features, not
        standard American obituaries, are printed when a VIP dies, mentions of
        local VIPs in local press. Some people post remembrance reminders in the
        classifieds on the anniversaries of the death of a loved one, and -- even
        less often -- death notices. Like in the US, newspapers are archived in
        libraries and by the publishers.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
          If you want to find out where somebody in those years has died I can find
          this out for you.
          The procedure is special. You may contact me directly via konekta@....
          Regards,
          Vladimir Bohinc