Re: OT ethnic restaurants

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 88 , Jan 30, 2004
      OK, in Philly I can recommend:

      The Warsaw Cafe (a variety of Eastern European dishes not just
      Polish) ****

      The Persian Grille **** (in Lafayette Hill)

      South Street Souvlaki ****

      The Chinese cart in front of the Friends Select School at 17th &
      the Ben Franklin Pwky ****

      17th Street Falafel **** (a cart at 17th & Market)

      Murrays **** (Jewish Deli/Diner) Lower Merion

      Any place in the Reading Terminal Market ****

      Colin

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "theoldpro"
      <theoldpro@n...> wrote:
      > Ahoj Slovaci,
      >
      > Let me add my two licks about Chicago area's restaurants:
      >
      > I lived in Chicago my first 36 years --
      > Some of my Favorites were:
      >
      > For Steak -- George Diamond's on South Wabash, and the
      Stockyard Inn on
      > South Halstead or was it Western Avenue?
      > For Polish, Slovak, Bohemian -- Klas and Old Prague on 22nd
      street in Berwyn
      > and Cicero area.
      > and Czech Lodge (no longer there in Riverside, Illinois)
      > For Bakery -- Hillman's bakery -- Cermak Road in Berwyn
      > For German -- Berghoff's Restaurant on Randolph in
      downtown Chicago
      > For Lobster -- Weller's Restaurant, about 20 miles north of
      Chicago -- the
      > best lobster ever!!
      > For Prime Rib -- The Shore Club, on Lake Geneva about 60
      miles north of
      > Chicago $4.50 for a complete Prime Rib dinner with all the
      trimmings.
      > theoldpro

      Standard Time,
      > > yawho2001@y... writes:
      > > There was also a charming German restaurant and
      rathskeller called Old
      > > Heidelberg on Washington just west of State Street which
      was a great place
      > > to drink, eat, and party in the old-fashioned German tradition.
      > >
      > > I tried to have dinner there but they required men to have
      facial saber
      > scars
      > > and all I had was a razor slash near my right elbow. ;-)
      > >
      > > In my heyday, acne scars counted, but this qualification was
      not
      > publicized.
      > >
      > > When I was working and partying in the downtown-Chicago
      area, I probably
      > ate
      > > out about 95% of the time, and so did most of my
      merry-making companions.
      > For
      > > the sake of sanity, variety, and budget, I was always on the
      lookout for
      > > interesting places for lunch and dinner that were affordable.
      It's
      > absolutely
      > > amazing how many were available--from a small bistro-type
      restaurant in
      > the
      > > Palmer House Hotel, to corporate dining rooms (aka
      "employee cafeterias"
      > subsidized
      > > by the many large companies headquartered there), to small
      coffee shops on
      > > the upper floors of many business buildings mainly for the
      convenience of
      > > building tenants and their employees. (The Mallers Building
      had a
      > particularly nice
      > > diner). We thought nothing of walking a mile or more for a
      good meal--not
      > > like now when the parking space closest to the entrance is
      the choicest
      > spot.
      > >
      > > When I was working in the Mandel Building, a long-gone
      historical edifice
      > > (with connections to the maze of underground railroad tracks
      through which
      > > merchandise was distributed throughout the downtown
      area), which used to
      > be located
      > > behind the Tribune Tower, I remember being one of the first
      patrons of the
      > > now-(in)famous Billy Goat Tavern shortly after they moved to
      their present
      > > location under Michigan Avenue from their original location
      on Madison
      > Street across
      > > from the Stadium. At that time, it was mainly a hangout for
      newspaper
      > > employees who didn't meet Riccardo's dress code--both city
      desk and
      > pressroom
      > > employees.
      > >
      > > At that time, Billy Sianis (the original "Billy Goat") was still
      alive and
      > > holding court every day (sometimes with his pet
      goat)--leaning on a
      > > silver-topped walking stick which he occasionally used on
      any attractive
      > butt that didn't
      > > scuttle past him fast enough--making sure that the myriad of
      relatives
      > running
      > > the place didn't misplace a nickel or give away anything.
      > >
      > > It was a fun time to be earning a living, and I miss the good
      times.
      > > However, I'm sure there's still a lot going on for anyone who
      is willing
      > to go out
      > > and find it.
      > >
      > > B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@a...)