Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Hungarian education system book review,Part 2

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2004
      > Only the top bananas were "Austrisized" ;-). I believe the language of
      > the common folk remained Hungarian.

      I agree, Janko -- and so did the Magyar lower nobility. It was those
      people (including the German-Slovak born Louis Kossuth) who were the
      driving force of Magyar ethnic activism.

      While the countryside -- depending on the region -- was predominantly
      Magyar, Slovak, Romanian, Croatian, etc., many towns were linguistically
      German to a high degree. For instance, about 80% of the people in what
      became the Kingdom's center of power, Budapest, had German as their main
      language around 1850. Or Bratislava -- it probably never had a Magyar
      majority in the Kingdom's history. In 1880, it had 65% Germans and 18%
      Magyars. By that time, however, ethnic activists had managed to switch
      Budapest to 80% Magyar.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu