New poll for Slovak-World

  • Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
      Slovak-World group:

      Please express your views regarding the
      posting of material related to American
      politics on this list. Results will be
      valid if 50% of the members respond It
      doesn't matter to meon this issue.

      o Yes, I am in favor of posting political material on this list.
      o No, I am not in favor of posting political material on this list
      o It doesn't matter to me
      o I have no opinion

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
        At 09:40 PM 1/23/04 +0000, you wrote:

        >Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the
        >Slovak-World group:

        Is this poll coming from the group "moderator" (the person who deals with
        our Yahoo account--Greg, isn't it?), or is it coming from a member (and if
        so, from whom?).

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Lil Junas
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
          It's not working. I've tried to sing in three times and the message
          keeps saying I'm not a member of S-W. Can you simplify this?
          lil

          >Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the
          >Slovak-World group:
          >
          >Please express your views regarding the
          >posting of material related to American
          >politics on this list. Results will be
          >valid if 50% of the members respond It
          >doesn't matter to meon this issue.
          >
          > o Yes, I am in favor of posting political material on this list.
          > o No, I am not in favor of posting political material on this list
          > o It doesn't matter to me
          > o I have no opinion
          >

          >To vote, please visit the following web page:

          >Note: Please do not reply to this message. Poll votes are
          >not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo! Groups
          >web site listed above.
          >
          >Thanks!
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >To visit your group on the web, go to:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
          For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
          http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
          "To be nobody but myself."
        • capt jack
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
            julie,

            that would be janko who put out that poll.

            captjack

          • Jan Lan
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
              At 04:58 PM 1/23/2004 -0500, you wrote:
              >At 09:40 PM 1/23/04 +0000, you wrote:
              >
              > >Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the
              > >Slovak-World group:
              >
              >Is this poll coming from the group "moderator" (the person who deals with
              >our Yahoo account--Greg, isn't it?), or is it coming from a member (and if
              >so, from whom?).

              Ja som vznikol ten vol'by. (please correct spelling and grammar if
              necessary)

              Janko
            • J. Michutka
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
                At 02:11 PM 1/23/04 -0800, you wrote:
                >julie,
                >

                >that would be janko who put out that poll.
                >
                >captjack

                Thank you; I hadn't been reading the political posts, so hadn't read his
                message about the poll until you mentioned who it was from.

                Julie
              • Dr. Joe Q
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
                  As I pointed out over a year ago, a very high
                  percentage of the messages came from three members. I
                  have simply set the e-mail from those three
                  individuals to be sent "else - where".

                  Apparently the members of the three "else - where"
                  e-mailers have started another of the usual fruitless
                  exchanges.

                  I have no problem with these exchanges as they are
                  transparent to me. It is a simple act to filter the
                  addresses out of your e-mail. The result is an
                  occasional e-mail that gets through with part of an
                  exchange. Generally the partial exchange is the
                  result of one of the other (intelligent but
                  frustrated) members attempting to use some logic in
                  answering one the mindless e-mails from the trilogy of
                  mailers. But certain "filter sensitive data" was not
                  included in the response so I get to see part of a one
                  sided conversation. Since I have been on this list
                  for a while, I have decided that the nonsense in which
                  a few members engage is not worth monitoring this
                  list.

                  I suggest that those who do not care to see the
                  juvenile banter among those few members; set the
                  filters on their systems to send the mail "else -
                  where".

                  It is not necessary to take a poll, keep the list open
                  and just take care of the messages you do not care for
                  by yourself.

                  Dr. "Q"

                  --- Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                  > Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created
                  > for the
                  > Slovak-World group:
                  >
                  > Please express your views regarding the
                  > posting of material related to American
                  > politics on this list. Results will be
                  > valid if 50% of the members respond It
                  > doesn't matter to meon this issue.
                  >
                  > o Yes, I am in favor of posting political material
                  > on this list.
                  > o No, I am not in favor of posting political
                  > material on this list
                  > o It doesn't matter to me
                  > o I have no opinion

                  > Note: Please do not reply to this message. Poll
                  > votes are
                  > not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the
                  > Yahoo! Groups
                  > web site listed above.
                  >
                  > Thanks!

                  http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
                • amiak27
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
                    Doc,

                    It seems significant to me that for years we maintained about 300
                    people registered on S-W. Since I changed addresses I also changed
                    to reading S-W on the net, and see that the politics and bickering on
                    S-W has reduced registrants to near 160, while Maura P's strictly
                    Slovak Geneology list is well past 500! We have had 50% of the forum
                    people figuratively vote with their feet and leave.

                    Your filtering is one way to handle the idiots that spoil an
                    otherwise pleasant forum.

                    Ron da RiledRoosin

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > As I pointed out over a year ago, a very high
                    > percentage of the messages came from three members. I
                    > have simply set the e-mail from those three
                    > individuals to be sent "else - where".
                    >
                    > Apparently the members of the three "else - where"
                    > e-mailers have started another of the usual fruitless
                    > exchanges.
                    >
                    > I have no problem with these exchanges as they are
                    > transparent to me. It is a simple act to filter the
                    > addresses out of your e-mail. The result is an
                    > occasional e-mail that gets through with part of an
                    > exchange. Generally the partial exchange is the
                    > result of one of the other (intelligent but
                    > frustrated) members attempting to use some logic in
                    > answering one the mindless e-mails from the trilogy of
                    > mailers. But certain "filter sensitive data" was not
                    > included in the response so I get to see part of a one
                    > sided conversation. Since I have been on this list
                    > for a while, I have decided that the nonsense in which
                    > a few members engage is not worth monitoring this
                    > list.
                    >
                    > I suggest that those who do not care to see the
                    > juvenile banter among those few members; set the
                    > filters on their systems to send the mail "else -
                    > where".
                    >
                    > It is not necessary to take a poll, keep the list open
                    > and just take care of the messages you do not care for
                    > by yourself.
                    >
                    > Dr. "Q"

                  • capt jack
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                      Ron,

                      You cannot assume that any political posts or other OT topics on this list has caused anyone to leave do to the changing of S-W from the server in Slovakia to yahoo. I remember when we were changing servers, there were numerous emails to the list and to Greg K. about troubles joining. Most of the trouble originated from lack of knowledge online and how to sign up. I think we lost some members due to that fact, it was simply easier for them to continue their membership on SR or what ever other site they belong to rather than try and find us at our new server.
                      If you really think OT topics are killing this list, than please refrain from telling us how much snow you are getting in Alaska, and others who are talking about how cold it is on the east coast should be admonished also. Now I must say, I find all those posts interesting, and part of our online community here. In reality, according to the purists here, those posts have no business being posted here either.
                      My point is simply, we all post off topic messages, we should be tolerant of others posts, there are plenty of on topic posts that I have not had interest in, but have never complained about them. The best course of action is be tolerant of others interests and comments, or use filters or the old DELETE key, I have used it often myself here, but you don't hear me complaining about it.

                    • Taoz@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                        What is this about the strictly genealogy Slovak list. How does one get into
                        this? I don't believe I've heard of this before.
                        I have a feeling that this political bickering has caused some people to
                        leave. Why can't these people take it private where they can argue all day and
                        not cause us to lose patronage? Good question.

                      • Dr. Joe Q
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                          I think they are referring to Slovak Roots:

                          An interesting group, but it is highly moderated, even
                          the discussion of various types of food and cooking is
                          discouraged.

                          Dr. "Q"

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                            Thanks, Dr. "Q" but isn't Slovak Roots run by Greg Kopchak? There was a
                            different name in the most recent post.
                            Pavel

                          • Dr. Joe Q
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                              No; Greg has the "It's All Realative" site, Slovak
                              Roots is another of the many Yahoo sites. Run by
                              Maura Petzolt, she also runs the Cork County and
                              Shramrock lists.

                              Dr. "Q"

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                                Grag K is also the originator of this yahoo site after the loss of our Slovak server.

                                CJ

                              • Jan Lan
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                                  At 10:14 AM 1/24/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                                  >Ron,
                                  >Most of the trouble originated from lack of knowledge online and how to
                                  >sign up. I think we lost some members due to that fact, it was simply
                                  >easier for them to continue their membership on SR or what ever other site
                                  >they belong to rather than try and find us at our new server.

                                  I doubt it. Greg made it very simple for people to retain
                                  membership. Perhaps they were bored.

                                  >If you really think OT topics are killing this list, than please refrain
                                  >from telling us how much snow you are getting in Alaska, and others who
                                  >are talking about how cold it is on the east coast should be admonished
                                  >also. Now I must say, I find all those posts interesting, and part of our
                                  >online community here. In reality, according to the purists here, those
                                  >posts have no business being posted here either.

                                  I don't think people object to OT in principle. I believe unmoderated
                                  posts on politics and religion can result in ridiculous to vicious
                                  arguments that accomplish nothing and change no ones mind.

                                  >My point is simply, we all post off topic messages, we should be tolerant
                                  >of others posts, there are plenty of on topic posts that I have not had
                                  >interest in, but have never complained about them.

                                  Again, it's not the off topic posts, it is the political diatribe that
                                  results from the posting of propaganda and the following ongoing arguing
                                  that brings on complaints.

                                  >The best course of action is be tolerant of others interests and comments,
                                  >or use filters or the old DELETE key, I have used it often myself here,
                                  >but you don't hear me complaining about it.

                                  What I hear you saying is "Let me say anything I want to say and if you
                                  don't like it delete it because that's the way I handle it (which is not
                                  true), but don't be nasty to me".

                                  Janko
                                • capt jack
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                                    What I hear you saying is "Let me say anything I want to say

                                    no, what I said was
                                    >The best course of action is be tolerant of others interests and comments.

                                    Dont continue to try and twist things, others on this list have you pegged for what you are also.

                                    CJ

                                  • Nick Holcz
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                                      At 10:32 AM 25/01/2004, you wrote:
                                      >What I hear you saying is "Let me say anything I want to say
                                      >
                                      >no, what I said was
                                      > >The best course of action is be tolerant of others interests and comments.
                                      >
                                      >Dont continue to try and twist things, others on this list have you pegged
                                      >for what you are also.
                                      >
                                      >CJ

                                      What's the problem ? Read the posts and laugh or cry as the content affects
                                      you. There is no need to get upset if other people 's politics or religion
                                      or anything differ to yours.
                                      Tell you all one thing OT subjects that get members goat increase the traffic.

                                      Nick
                                    • Jan Lan
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                                        At 06:32 PM 1/24/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                                        >What I hear you saying is "Let me say anything I want to say
                                        >
                                        >no, what I said was
                                        > >The best course of action is be tolerant of others interests and comments.
                                        >
                                        >Dont continue to try and twist things, others on this list have you pegged
                                        >for what you are also.
                                        >
                                        >CJ

                                        Why don't you practice what you preach. Many people feel your posts are
                                        attacks on those who believe in the values of the center and progressive
                                        segments of society. Likewise they can recognize an agitator of your ilk
                                        at a glance. By the way, what are you capt. jack of?

                                        Janko
                                      • capt jack
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                                          good point Nick

                                        • capt jack
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                                            Another lame attack on your part. why dont you just grow up and get along?

                                          • Jan Lan
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                                              At 08:10 PM 1/24/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                                              >Another lame attack on your part. why dont you just grow up and get along?

                                              That's a lame response. You're version of get along is "do as I say". Not
                                              likely.

                                              Janko
                                            • Michelle A Mader
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 26, 2004
                                                There are several of us who will not be able to participate in this
                                                poll because we do not have Yahoo accounts.

                                                Michelle Maco Mader
                                                Cleveland, Ohio USA
                                                "I have never let my schooling interfere
                                                with my education." - Mark Twain