RE: [Slovak-World] Rehab for desktop

  • Helen France
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 6, 2004
      Sorry - correct address is www.Komando.com

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Helen France [mailto:hwfr@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 10:44 PM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [Slovak-World] Rehab for desktop

      Andrea,

      pop-up stopper is on the Google bar. You might also check KimKommando.com.
      She has a lot of tips and also
      suggest free anti-virus programs.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 6, 2004
        Thanks again. It's great that us gals know a thing or two besides pressing
        the "on" button!

        > pop-up stopper is on the Google bar. You might also check
        KimKommando.com.
        > She has a lot of tips and also
        > suggest free anti-virus programs.

      • Jan Lan
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 6, 2004
          At 05:37 PM 1/6/2004 -0800, you wrote:
          >My Windows crashed late last night, just as our "blizzard" began here in
          >the Northwest. I dug up a rescue disk to re-boot and spent the rest of
          >the day and night cleaning up the disk and doing upgrades. I wonder if
          >anyone remembers the link for the pop-up stopper that someone found a
          >while back. Also, if someone remembers the good free anti-virus program
          >-- I will be needing something for my laptop.
          >
          >And as soon as the snow melts, I am going shopping for a big bunch of CD's
          >to back up all this precious junk!

          http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/Anti_virus_freeware/

          http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

          http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

          Janko
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
            Thanks, I will tour through them all.

            > >My Windows crashed late last night, just as our "blizzard" began here in
            > >the Northwest. I dug up a rescue disk to re-boot and spent the rest of
            > >the day and night cleaning up the disk and doing upgrades. I wonder if
            > >anyone remembers the link for the pop-up stopper that someone found a
            > >while back. Also, if someone remembers the good free anti-virus program
            > >-- I will be needing something for my laptop.
            > >
            > >And as soon as the snow melts, I am going shopping for a big bunch of
            CD's
            > >to back up all this precious junk!

            > http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/Anti_virus_freeware/
            >
            > http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/
            >
            > http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
            >
            > http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

            > Janko

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • capt jack
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
              You dont even need a program to do that. built right into windows, under the accesories tab, then system tools, then select system restore. Follow the easy steps and your computer will be restored to an earlier date yoiu pick.

              Jim

            • David
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                Andrea: Get yourself a copy of "go back." This is one of the best programs
                out there in case you run into problems. When windows supposedly crashed,
                all you had to do is go back 10 minutes, 30 minutes or even an entire day,
                or more. Then your computer would have been exactly like it was at that
                moment of time. I have used mine several times. What ever the problem was
                is stored in la-la land.
                Dave Kuchta

              • BJLK@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                  In a message dated 1/7/2004 9:33:45 AM Central Standard Time,
                  captjack00@... writes:
                  You dont even need a program to do that. built right into windows, under the
                  accesories tab, then system tools, then select system restore. Follow the
                  easy steps and your computer will be restored to an earlier date yoiu pick.

                  Jim
                  But what can you do if you can't even open up Windows (been there)? Will
                  this still work if you need to reboot from a disk?

                  B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)

                • capt jack
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                    If you cant even open windows, then you will need a boot disc.

                    Jim

                  • Andrea Vangor
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                      Yes indeed. I am glad that I had just cleaned out my office closet and
                      remembered where the thing was. When you reboot with a disk, you choose the
                      option where you do NOT reformat the drives, because that would mean wiping
                      out all your saved information. So all my work was intact, except various
                      programs and upgrades. I spent a lot of time downloading upgrades from
                      Microsoft, restoring my anti-virus software, weather monitoring program,
                      etc.

                      I must say that the computer is running much better -- evidentally restoring
                      the Wiindows program has a rejuvenating effect!

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                        Jim: Some of the early models don't have it. I also found out that "Go
                        back," seems to work a heck of a lot better.
                        Dave

                        At 07:32 AM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                        >You dont even need a program to do that. built right into windows, under
                        >the accesories tab, then system tools, then select system restore. Follow
                        >the easy steps and your computer will be restored to an earlier date yoiu pick.
                        >
                        >Jim

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >
                        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • Dr. Joe Q
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                          Reinstalling the programs sets up a new FAT (file
                          allocation table). The various temporary files that
                          Windows writes all over the hard drive are still there
                          but the reinstalled operating system doesn't have to
                          search through numerous entries in the FAT. So a
                          reinstallation will usually run faster than the "old"
                          system. Some programs are available that do a pretty
                          good job in cleaning the clutter, System Mechanic and
                          Norton Utilities (System Works), Clean Sweep (now
                          packaged with Norton) are examples. You want a
                          program that removes old unused and unneccessay files
                          and also cleans the registery.

                          As long as you have the data files (I use a Zip drive
                          to actively duplicate all data files in real time), a
                          reinstall only takes time, no data are lost, and if
                          you're sitting through a snow storm, it gives you
                          something to do.

                          Remember there are only two kinds of people who use
                          computers; those who have lost data and those who WILL
                          loose data.

                          Get a back up program for you data files. Go Back is
                          very nice, but when you have a hard crash = the hard
                          drive is destroyed because the head scratched the
                          surface, GO Back won't work. There are companies that
                          specialize in recovering data from physically damaged
                          hard drives, but the cost is very high.

                          Dr. "Q"

                          --- Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote:
                          > Yes indeed. I am glad that I had just cleaned out
                          > my office closet and
                          > remembered where the thing was. When you reboot
                          > with a disk, you choose the
                          > option where you do NOT reformat the drives, because
                          > that would mean wiping
                          > out all your saved information. So all my work was
                          > intact, except various
                          > programs and upgrades. I spent a lot of time
                          > downloading upgrades from
                          > Microsoft, restoring my anti-virus software, weather
                          > monitoring program,
                          > etc.
                          >
                          > I must say that the computer is running much better
                          > -- evidentally restoring
                          > the Wiindows program has a rejuvenating effect!

                        • David
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                            that program. Trust me, I've used it several times. Also if you picked up a
                            virus, you can go back to when your computer was virus free.
                            Dave Kuchta

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                              A computer running much better than before is due more to removing built up files that should be removed by you on a weekly basis. Temporary internet files, cookies, history logs, ect. continue to build and collect if not deleted. I deleted mine on a daily basis, takes just a minute to do so. I have serviced others computers who haven deleted these files daily and it has take 8 to 10 minutes for the system to delete these files. After wihich, all the systems ran much quicker and better. A simple defrag also helps in improving performance, but most people do ot take the time to do so. Think of it as cleaning your floors at home, due it often, the chore is less, let it go for months, and the amount of labor to clean it increases.

                              Jim

                            • Andrea Vangor
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                                Thanks -- this would not work for a real Windows crash such as I had -- just
                                a blank piece of wallpaper on screen and no way to do anything -- but when
                                do you find it useful? I'd be interested.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                                  Where do you get this program?

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                                    My last two Gateway computers came with the Go Back program installed. I found it a very useful utility and was very grateful it was there when I developed problems with some software and hardware.
                                    Since Go Back can be initiated at startup there is no need for a rescue disk and any problems with Windows or other programs at startup can be addressed by Go Back.
                                    In addition to reverting the hard drive back to an earlier time, I found the Go Back program capability to recover a deleted file or get back to an earlier version of a changed file very beneficial.
                                    Its a good program and I highly recommend it.

                                    Gil K.

                                    David <humblebe@...> wrote:
                                    that program. Trust me, I've used it several times. Also if you picked up a
                                    virus, you can go back to when your computer was virus free.
                                    Dave Kuchta

                                    At 09:54 AM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                                    >If you cant even open windows, then you will need a boot disc.
                                    >
                                    >Jim

                                  • Helen France
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                                      Is the "Go Back" program on your Gateway similar to the "System Restore" on
                                      my Dell?

                                      Helen France

                                      David <humblebe@...> wrote:
                                      that program. Trust me, I've used it several times. Also if you picked up a
                                      virus, you can go back to when your computer was virus free.
                                      Dave Kuchta

                                      At 09:54 AM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                                      >If you cant even open windows, then you will need a boot disc.
                                      >
                                      >Jim

                                    • David
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                                        HI: Hard crashes with damage to the hard drive is something else. But if
                                        you pick up a virus, if you screw up anything whatsoever, "go back," is
                                        right on your screen before windows comes on. Just go back to a point when
                                        you thought everything was operating properly. I have had my problems with
                                        viruses, crashes and the blue screen of death. Since I have "go back," I
                                        have eliminated the problem...by going back to when everything operated
                                        properly.
                                        Dave

                                        At 06:20 PM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                                        >Thanks -- this would not work for a real Windows crash such as I had -- just
                                        >a blank piece of wallpaper on screen and no way to do anything -- but when
                                        >do you find it useful? I'd be interested.

                                      • Gil K.
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 8, 2004
                                          Helen,

                                          I don't think they are the same; Go Back can be initiated from cold start while System Restore operates within the Windows format. I've never used Restore!

                                          Gil K.

                                          David <humblebe@...> wrote:
                                          that program. Trust me, I've used it several times. Also if you picked up a
                                          virus, you can go back to when your computer was virus free.
                                          Dave Kuchta

                                          At 09:54 AM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                                          >If you cant even open windows, then you will need a boot disc.
                                          >
                                          >Jim

                                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                        • David
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 8, 2004
                                            Restore is in the menu. So, if you can't open windows, you can't get to it.
                                            So at that point is of no help. I have restore and I also have "go back."
                                            If you want to read about the program, just go to your search engine and
                                            write go back.
                                            Dave