RE: [Slovak-World] Rehab for desktop

  • Helen France
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 6, 2004
      Andrea,

      pop-up stopper is on the Google bar. You might also check KimKommando.com.
      She has a lot of tips and also
      suggest free anti-virus programs.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 6, 2004
        Sorry - correct address is www.Komando.com

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 6, 2004
          Thanks again. It's great that us gals know a thing or two besides pressing
          the "on" button!

          > pop-up stopper is on the Google bar. You might also check
          KimKommando.com.
          > She has a lot of tips and also
          > suggest free anti-virus programs.

        • Jan Lan
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 6, 2004
            At 05:37 PM 1/6/2004 -0800, you wrote:
            >My Windows crashed late last night, just as our "blizzard" began here in
            >the Northwest. I dug up a rescue disk to re-boot and spent the rest of
            >the day and night cleaning up the disk and doing upgrades. I wonder if
            >anyone remembers the link for the pop-up stopper that someone found a
            >while back. Also, if someone remembers the good free anti-virus program
            >-- I will be needing something for my laptop.
            >
            >And as soon as the snow melts, I am going shopping for a big bunch of CD's
            >to back up all this precious junk!

            http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/Anti_virus_freeware/

            http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

            http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

            Janko
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
              Thanks, I will tour through them all.

              > >My Windows crashed late last night, just as our "blizzard" began here in
              > >the Northwest. I dug up a rescue disk to re-boot and spent the rest of
              > >the day and night cleaning up the disk and doing upgrades. I wonder if
              > >anyone remembers the link for the pop-up stopper that someone found a
              > >while back. Also, if someone remembers the good free anti-virus program
              > >-- I will be needing something for my laptop.
              > >
              > >And as soon as the snow melts, I am going shopping for a big bunch of
              CD's
              > >to back up all this precious junk!

              > http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/Anti_virus_freeware/
              >
              > http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/
              >
              > http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
              >
              > http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

              > Janko

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • David
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                Andrea: Get yourself a copy of "go back." This is one of the best programs
                out there in case you run into problems. When windows supposedly crashed,
                all you had to do is go back 10 minutes, 30 minutes or even an entire day,
                or more. Then your computer would have been exactly like it was at that
                moment of time. I have used mine several times. What ever the problem was
                is stored in la-la land.
                Dave Kuchta

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                  Jim: Some of the early models don't have it. I also found out that "Go
                  back," seems to work a heck of a lot better.
                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                    that program. Trust me, I've used it several times. Also if you picked up a
                    virus, you can go back to when your computer was virus free.
                    Dave Kuchta

                    At 09:54 AM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                    >If you cant even open windows, then you will need a boot disc.
                    >
                    >Jim

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    >To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • capt jack
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004

                    • BJLK@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                        In a message dated 1/7/2004 9:33:45 AM Central Standard Time,
                        captjack00@... writes:
                        You dont even need a program to do that. built right into windows, under the
                        accesories tab, then system tools, then select system restore. Follow the
                        easy steps and your computer will be restored to an earlier date yoiu pick.

                        Jim
                        But what can you do if you can't even open up Windows (been there)? Will
                        this still work if you need to reboot from a disk?

                        B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...)

                      • capt jack
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                            Yes indeed. I am glad that I had just cleaned out my office closet and
                            remembered where the thing was. When you reboot with a disk, you choose the
                            option where you do NOT reformat the drives, because that would mean wiping
                            out all your saved information. So all my work was intact, except various
                            programs and upgrades. I spent a lot of time downloading upgrades from
                            Microsoft, restoring my anti-virus software, weather monitoring program,
                            etc.

                            I must say that the computer is running much better -- evidentally restoring
                            the Wiindows program has a rejuvenating effect!

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                              HI: Hard crashes with damage to the hard drive is something else. But if
                              you pick up a virus, if you screw up anything whatsoever, "go back," is
                              right on your screen before windows comes on. Just go back to a point when
                              you thought everything was operating properly. I have had my problems with
                              viruses, crashes and the blue screen of death. Since I have "go back," I
                              have eliminated the problem...by going back to when everything operated
                              properly.
                              Dave

                              At 06:20 PM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                              >Thanks -- this would not work for a real Windows crash such as I had -- just
                              >a blank piece of wallpaper on screen and no way to do anything -- but when
                              >do you find it useful? I'd be interested.

                            • Dr. Joe Q
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                                Reinstalling the programs sets up a new FAT (file
                                allocation table). The various temporary files that
                                Windows writes all over the hard drive are still there
                                but the reinstalled operating system doesn't have to
                                search through numerous entries in the FAT. So a
                                reinstallation will usually run faster than the "old"
                                system. Some programs are available that do a pretty
                                good job in cleaning the clutter, System Mechanic and
                                Norton Utilities (System Works), Clean Sweep (now
                                packaged with Norton) are examples. You want a
                                program that removes old unused and unneccessay files
                                and also cleans the registery.

                                As long as you have the data files (I use a Zip drive
                                to actively duplicate all data files in real time), a
                                reinstall only takes time, no data are lost, and if
                                you're sitting through a snow storm, it gives you
                                something to do.

                                Remember there are only two kinds of people who use
                                computers; those who have lost data and those who WILL
                                loose data.

                                Get a back up program for you data files. Go Back is
                                very nice, but when you have a hard crash = the hard
                                drive is destroyed because the head scratched the
                                surface, GO Back won't work. There are companies that
                                specialize in recovering data from physically damaged
                                hard drives, but the cost is very high.

                                Dr. "Q"

                                --- Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote:
                                > Yes indeed. I am glad that I had just cleaned out
                                > my office closet and
                                > remembered where the thing was. When you reboot
                                > with a disk, you choose the
                                > option where you do NOT reformat the drives, because
                                > that would mean wiping
                                > out all your saved information. So all my work was
                                > intact, except various
                                > programs and upgrades. I spent a lot of time
                                > downloading upgrades from
                                > Microsoft, restoring my anti-virus software, weather
                                > monitoring program,
                                > etc.
                                >
                                > I must say that the computer is running much better
                                > -- evidentally restoring
                                > the Wiindows program has a rejuvenating effect!

                              • capt jack
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                                  A computer running much better than before is due more to removing built up files that should be removed by you on a weekly basis. Temporary internet files, cookies, history logs, ect. continue to build and collect if not deleted. I deleted mine on a daily basis, takes just a minute to do so. I have serviced others computers who haven deleted these files daily and it has take 8 to 10 minutes for the system to delete these files. After wihich, all the systems ran much quicker and better. A simple defrag also helps in improving performance, but most people do ot take the time to do so. Think of it as cleaning your floors at home, due it often, the chore is less, let it go for months, and the amount of labor to clean it increases.

                                  Jim

                                • Andrea Vangor
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                                      Where do you get this program?

                                      > HI: Hard crashes with damage to the hard drive is something else. But if
                                      > you pick up a virus, if you screw up anything whatsoever, "go back," is
                                      > right on your screen before windows comes on. Just go back to a point when
                                      > you thought everything was operating properly. I have had my problems with
                                      > viruses, crashes and the blue screen of death. Since I have "go back," I
                                      > have eliminated the problem...by going back to when everything operated
                                      > properly.
                                      > Dave
                                      >
                                      > At 06:20 PM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                                      > >Thanks -- this would not work for a real Windows crash such as I had --
                                      just
                                      > >a blank piece of wallpaper on screen and no way to do anything -- but
                                      when
                                      > >do you find it useful? I'd be interested.

                                    • Gil K.
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                                        My last two Gateway computers came with the Go Back program installed. I found it a very useful utility and was very grateful it was there when I developed problems with some software and hardware.
                                        Since Go Back can be initiated at startup there is no need for a rescue disk and any problems with Windows or other programs at startup can be addressed by Go Back.
                                        In addition to reverting the hard drive back to an earlier time, I found the Go Back program capability to recover a deleted file or get back to an earlier version of a changed file very beneficial.
                                        Its a good program and I highly recommend it.

                                        Gil K.

                                        David <humblebe@...> wrote:
                                        that program. Trust me, I've used it several times. Also if you picked up a
                                        virus, you can go back to when your computer was virus free.
                                        Dave Kuchta

                                        At 09:54 AM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                                        >If you cant even open windows, then you will need a boot disc.
                                        >
                                        >Jim

                                      • Helen France
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 7, 2004
                                          Is the "Go Back" program on your Gateway similar to the "System Restore" on
                                          my Dell?

                                          Helen France

                                          David <humblebe@...> wrote:
                                          that program. Trust me, I've used it several times. Also if you picked up a
                                          virus, you can go back to when your computer was virus free.
                                          Dave Kuchta

                                          At 09:54 AM 1/7/2004 -0800, you wrote:
                                          >If you cant even open windows, then you will need a boot disc.
                                          >
                                          >Jim

                                        • David
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 8, 2004
                                            Restore is in the menu. So, if you can't open windows, you can't get to it.
                                            So at that point is of no help. I have restore and I also have "go back."
                                            If you want to read about the program, just go to your search engine and
                                            write go back.
                                            Dave