OT- Highway 109, a short story

  • theoldpro
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2004
      Ahoj Slovaci,

      A friend from my elementary school days sent this to me. Any thoughts
      on this one?

      A drunken man in an Oldsmobile
      They said had run the light

      That caused the six-car pileup
      On 109 that night.

      When broken bodies lay about
      And blood was everywhere,

      The sirens screamed out elegies,
      For death was in the air.

      A mother, trapped inside her car,
      Was heard above the noise;

      Her plaintive plea near split the air:
      "Oh, God, please spare my boys!"

      She fought to loose her pinned hands;

      She struggled to get free
      But mangled metal held her fast

      In grim captivity.
      Her frightened eyes then focused

      On where the back seat once had been,

      But all she saw was broken glass and
      Two children's seats crushed in.

      Her twins were nowhere to be seen;
      She did not hear them cry,

      And then she prayed they'd been thrown free,
      "Oh, God, don't let them die!"

      Then firemen came and cut her loose
      But when they searched the back,

      They found therein no little boys,
      But the seat belts were intact.

      They thought the woman had gone mad
      And was traveling alone,

      But when they turned to question her,
      They discovered she was gone.

      Policemen saw her running wild
      And screaming above the noise

      In beseeching supplication,
      "Please help me find my boys!

      They're four years old and wear blue shirts;
      Their jeans are blue to match."

      One cop spoke up, "They're in my car,
      And they don't have a scratch.

      They said their daddy put them there
      And gave them each a cone,

      Then told them both to wait for Mom
      To come and take them home.

      I've searched the area high and low,
      But I can't find their dad.

      He must have fled the scene,
      I guess, and that is very bad."

      The mother hugged the twins and said,
      While wiping at a tear,

      "He could not flee the scene, you see
      For he's been dead a year."

      The cop just looked confused and asked,
      "Now, how can that be true?"

      The boys said, "Mommy, Daddy came
      And left a kiss for you.

      He told us not to worry
      And that you would be all right,

      And then he put us in this car with
      The pretty, flashing light.

      We wanted him to stay with us,
      Because we miss him so,

      But Mommy, he just hugged us tight
      And said he had to go.

      He said someday we'd understand
      And told us not to fuss,

      And he said to tell you, Mommy,
      "He's watching over us."

      The mother knew without a doubt
      That what they spoke was true,

      For she recalled their dad's last words,
      "I will watch over you."

      The firemen's notes could not explain
      The twisted, mangled car,

      And how the three of them escaped
      Without a single scar.

      But on the cop's report was scribed,
      In print so very fine,

      An angel walked the beat tonight
      On Highway 109.

      "He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare ."
      The 7 Second Prayer
      Just repeat this phrase and see how God moves...

      " Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and
      Bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen. "

      Pass this message to 7 people {EXCEPT YOU AND ME}. You will
      receive a miracle tomorrow.