Re: Julius Stavrovsky - Popradov

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2004
      Thanks for the dierection - I may get the chance to check out the
      Slovensky Bibliograficky Slovnik in Slovak someday. In hte meantime
      the Rusyn list steered me into "Straddling Borders" by Elaine
      Rusinko, which I fortunately have, and the 'The New Rusyn Times',
      which I have a few issues of, so must check that as well. I
      checked 'Slovakia and the Slovaks' concise encyclopedia, but they
      skipped him, a major dissapointment, but you cannot be concise and
      include everyone!

      Now to do some reading...

      Oh, on Slovak composers some may include Bartok, who (speaking as an
      American) is regarded as Hungarian, but who is famous for using much
      of the folk music of all Hungarian peoples to inspire his
      compositions. So he seems highly regarded by Slovaks as well. Any
      additional opinions?

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "theoldpro" <theoldpro@n...>
      wrote:
      > Thank you Vladimir,
      >
      > I also got your post and also the Winter issue of Slovak Heritage
      Live.

      > theoldpro
      >
      > P.S. A friend told me that Anton Dvorak was a Slovak composer, and
      > he also told me that there are 3 very important Slovak composers?
      >
      > Does anyone know their names?
      >
      > theoldpro

      Certizne)
      > > >I have seen references to him as a poet, a writer, and recorder
      of
      > > >local dialect in the Rusyn village of Sulin. Yet I find no
      > > >references telling me much more than that...
      > > >
      > > >Ron
      > > >
      > > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "theoldpro" <theoldpro@n...>

    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2004
        At 06:19 PM 1/3/2004, you wrote:
        >Thank you Vladimir,
        >
        >I also got your post and also the Winter issue of Slovak Heritage Live.

        Wow that was fast.

        >theoldpro
        >
        >P.S. A friend told me that Anton Dvorak was a Slovak composer, and
        >he also told me that there are 3 very important Slovak composers?
        >
        >Does anyone know their names?

        EUGEN SUCHON, BELA BARTOK, TIBOR ANDRASOVAN
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Artists/andrasovan.htm,
        Svetozar STRACINA, JAN HUMMEL

        Dvorak was of Czech descent.

        Vladi