Re: [Slovak-World] Julius Stavrovsky - Popradov

  • theoldpro
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2004
      Thanks Ron,

      I got this post, but I have no knowledge of Julius Stavrovsky - Popradov.

      theoldpro

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2004
        Thanks Capt. Jack,

        I received this post also.
        We've been on the run also -- visited some friends in San Clemente, CA.
        about 108 miles due South - Southeast of Valencia, CA

        What a beautiful place. In a few days, I'll post some photos of our
        activities in San Clemente -- watch for the photos.

        theoldpro
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2004
          Thank you Vladimir,

          I also got your post and also the Winter issue of Slovak Heritage Live.

          theoldpro

          P.S. A friend told me that Anton Dvorak was a Slovak composer, and
          he also told me that there are 3 very important Slovak composers?

          Does anyone know their names?

          theoldpro

          > NO problem detailed info is in Slovensky Bibliograficky Slovnik in Slovak
          >

          > At 04:39 PM 1/3/2004, you wrote:
          > >OK, let us see if it is Wise Guy or knowlegeable Guy... here is a
          > >Slovak topic:
          > >
          > >Has anyone heard of
          > >Julius Stavrovsky - Popradov ? 18.1.1850 Sulin - 17.3.1899 Certizne)
          > >I have seen references to him as a poet, a writer, and recorder of
          > >local dialect in the Rusyn village of Sulin. Yet I find no
          > >references telling me much more than that...
          > >
          > >Ron
          > >
          > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "theoldpro" <theoldpro@n...>
          > >wrote:
          > > > Ahoj Slovaci,
          > > >
          > > > Is my computer broke or is Yahoo acting up?
          > > >
          > > > In the past five days, I've received about 5 posts from SW?
          > > >
          > > > What gives?
          > > >
          > > > theoldpro

          lovak-World/

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2004
            Hello Greg,

            I also got your post --- that makes four posts that I've received.

            What I have experienced is a notable decrease in Spam mailings.
            I wonder why that is?

            theoldpro

            > Holiday time. Places to go - people to see..
            >
            > Greg Kopchak
            > www.iarelative.com

          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2004
              Thanks for the dierection - I may get the chance to check out the
              Slovensky Bibliograficky Slovnik in Slovak someday. In hte meantime
              the Rusyn list steered me into "Straddling Borders" by Elaine
              Rusinko, which I fortunately have, and the 'The New Rusyn Times',
              which I have a few issues of, so must check that as well. I
              checked 'Slovakia and the Slovaks' concise encyclopedia, but they
              skipped him, a major dissapointment, but you cannot be concise and
              include everyone!

              Now to do some reading...

              Oh, on Slovak composers some may include Bartok, who (speaking as an
              American) is regarded as Hungarian, but who is famous for using much
              of the folk music of all Hungarian peoples to inspire his
              compositions. So he seems highly regarded by Slovaks as well. Any
              additional opinions?

              wrote:
              > Thank you Vladimir,
              >
              > I also got your post and also the Winter issue of Slovak Heritage
              Live.

              > theoldpro
              >
              > P.S. A friend told me that Anton Dvorak was a Slovak composer, and
              > he also told me that there are 3 very important Slovak composers?
              >
              > Does anyone know their names?
              >
              > theoldpro

            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2004
                At 06:19 PM 1/3/2004, you wrote:
                >Thank you Vladimir,
                >
                >I also got your post and also the Winter issue of Slovak Heritage Live.

                Wow that was fast.

                >theoldpro
                >
                >P.S. A friend told me that Anton Dvorak was a Slovak composer, and
                >he also told me that there are 3 very important Slovak composers?
                >
                >Does anyone know their names?

                EUGEN SUCHON, BELA BARTOK, TIBOR ANDRASOVAN
                http://www.slovakheritage.org/Artists/andrasovan.htm,
                Svetozar STRACINA, JAN HUMMEL

                Dvorak was of Czech descent.

                Vladi