Re: [Slovak-World] Re: New Year's festives

  • capt jack
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1 7:58 PM
      Thanks for explaining Ron,

      I now understand what you meant when you said it was 1/2 hour from Alaska.

      Jim

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2 6:50 AM
        That is sooooooooooo true -- I'd even go so far as to say that Fairbanks is a military base, not really Alaska either. I've been to Seward, Chicken, Tok, McCarthy & Kennicott mine -- and I'm even going to say that I've probably never seen what you'd call "Alaska" -- Mt. McKinley only made me angry, no parking and never did see the peak -- oh well, bought a nice postcard -- then drove to Wrangell-St. Elias -- that was much more my speed. Chicago is not representative of the rest of Illinois either.

        Caye

        amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:
        Jim,

        I had to say SOMETHING nice about Anchorage, and this "it is only 1/2
        hour form Alaska" is the nicest thing about the city - and the city
        is a whole lot nicer today than when I lived here in the mid '70's!

        Anchorage is a nice place, only it is not Alaska. It even has moose
        on the ski and bicycle trails, resident black bears, wolf packs
        within the city limits, and can even claim to be the only US city
        with resident brown bears.

        With all of that, it is NOT Alaska. However, you can drive to the
        city limits and hike into wilderness or fly off in any direction the
        1/2 hour, and you are in true wilderness and true Alaska. When I go
        out in the villages I am "just another white guy from Anchorage"
        until I establish my Alaskan credentials by mentioning I lived in
        Fairbanks for 15 years and worked & lived in the bush a lot. That
        tells people that I may live in the vicinity of Anchorage, but I know
        Alaska.

        Would you expect someone from New York City to be able to understand
        or explain the rest of the USA? My answer is no, and up here the
        difference between Anchorage and Alaska is even more extreme.

        Now to read the other posts and see what else came up in topic...
        actually, it is really nice being at home in Alaska and perfectly
        comfortable in Europe - it is the best of both worlds!

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, capt jack <captjack00@y...>
        wrote:
        > Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
        > direction.

        > JIm

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT