Re: New Year's festives

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
      Ed,

      You nailed it, right on.
      Happy New Year.

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ed Klenovich <nsspiker@o...>
      wrote:
      > I think he is trying to say that true Alaskans don't consider
      Anchorage to be part of the real Alaska. To get to the real
      Alaska, you have to go 1/2 hour in any direction.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
        Thanks for explaining Ron,

        I now understand what you meant when you said it was 1/2 hour from Alaska.

        Jim

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
          That is sooooooooooo true -- I'd even go so far as to say that Fairbanks is a military base, not really Alaska either. I've been to Seward, Chicken, Tok, McCarthy & Kennicott mine -- and I'm even going to say that I've probably never seen what you'd call "Alaska" -- Mt. McKinley only made me angry, no parking and never did see the peak -- oh well, bought a nice postcard -- then drove to Wrangell-St. Elias -- that was much more my speed. Chicago is not representative of the rest of Illinois either.

          Caye

          amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:
          Jim,

          I had to say SOMETHING nice about Anchorage, and this "it is only 1/2
          hour form Alaska" is the nicest thing about the city - and the city
          is a whole lot nicer today than when I lived here in the mid '70's!

          Anchorage is a nice place, only it is not Alaska. It even has moose
          on the ski and bicycle trails, resident black bears, wolf packs
          within the city limits, and can even claim to be the only US city
          with resident brown bears.

          With all of that, it is NOT Alaska. However, you can drive to the
          city limits and hike into wilderness or fly off in any direction the
          1/2 hour, and you are in true wilderness and true Alaska. When I go
          out in the villages I am "just another white guy from Anchorage"
          until I establish my Alaskan credentials by mentioning I lived in
          Fairbanks for 15 years and worked & lived in the bush a lot. That
          tells people that I may live in the vicinity of Anchorage, but I know
          Alaska.

          Would you expect someone from New York City to be able to understand
          or explain the rest of the USA? My answer is no, and up here the
          difference between Anchorage and Alaska is even more extreme.

          Now to read the other posts and see what else came up in topic...
          actually, it is really nice being at home in Alaska and perfectly
          comfortable in Europe - it is the best of both worlds!

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, capt jack <captjack00@y...>
          wrote:
          > Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
          > direction.

          > JIm

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT