Re: [Slovak-World] Re: New Year's festives

  • David
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
      Perhaps it means..Anchorage is only a 1/2 hour from any Alaskan in any
      direction. But then again, I would think it would take more then an hour to
      travel across Alaska. Probably by plane.
      What is it Ron? Happy new year to you and your Eskimo Slovak Rusyn friends.
      Dave Kuchta

      At 11:01 AM 1/1/2004 -0800, you wrote:
      >Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
      >direction.
      >

      >??????????????????????????????
      >
      >JIm

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >To visit your group on the web, go to:

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Jan Lan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
        At 04:13 PM 1/1/2004 +00-03, you wrote:
        >Perhaps it means..Anchorage is only a 1/2 hour from any Alaskan in any
        >direction. But then again, I would think it would take more then an hour to
        >travel across Alaska. Probably by plane.
        >What is it Ron? Happy new year to you and your Eskimo Slovak Rusyn friends.
        >Dave Kuchta

        I believe Ron means that Anchorage is a city and not the beautiful, natural
        Alaska that most people admire. Driving 20 miles in any direction will get
        you out of Anchorage and into the Alaska of great scenery, small towns, and
        away from the wild life in the city and near the natural wild life. Then
        again, I could be wrong. ;-)

        Janko
      • Jan Lan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
          At 04:13 PM 1/1/2004 +00-03, you wrote:
          >Perhaps it means..Anchorage is only a 1/2 hour from any Alaskan in any
          >direction. But then again, I would think it would take more then an hour to
          >travel across Alaska. Probably by plane.
          >What is it Ron? Happy new year to you and your Eskimo Slovak Rusyn friends.
          >Dave Kuchta

          I believe Ron means that Anchorage is a city and not the beautiful, natural
          Alaska that most people admire. Driving 20 miles in any direction will get
          you out of Anchorage and into the Alaska of great scenery, small towns, and
          away from the wild life in the city and near the natural wild life. Then
          again, I could be wrong. ;-)

          Janko
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
            Jim,

            I had to say SOMETHING nice about Anchorage, and this "it is only 1/2
            hour form Alaska" is the nicest thing about the city - and the city
            is a whole lot nicer today than when I lived here in the mid '70's!

            Anchorage is a nice place, only it is not Alaska. It even has moose
            on the ski and bicycle trails, resident black bears, wolf packs
            within the city limits, and can even claim to be the only US city
            with resident brown bears.

            With all of that, it is NOT Alaska. However, you can drive to the
            city limits and hike into wilderness or fly off in any direction the
            1/2 hour, and you are in true wilderness and true Alaska. When I go
            out in the villages I am "just another white guy from Anchorage"
            until I establish my Alaskan credentials by mentioning I lived in
            Fairbanks for 15 years and worked & lived in the bush a lot. That
            tells people that I may live in the vicinity of Anchorage, but I know
            Alaska.

            Would you expect someone from New York City to be able to understand
            or explain the rest of the USA? My answer is no, and up here the
            difference between Anchorage and Alaska is even more extreme.

            Now to read the other posts and see what else came up in topic...
            actually, it is really nice being at home in Alaska and perfectly
            comfortable in Europe - it is the best of both worlds!

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, capt jack <captjack00@y...>
            wrote:
            > Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
            > direction.
            >

            > ??????????????????????????????
            >
            > JIm

          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
              Ed,

              You nailed it, right on.
              Happy New Year.

              Ron

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ed Klenovich <nsspiker@o...>
              wrote:
              > I think he is trying to say that true Alaskans don't consider
              Anchorage to be part of the real Alaska. To get to the real
              Alaska, you have to go 1/2 hour in any direction.
              > Ed Klenovich
              > >Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
              > >direction.
              > >

              > >??????????????????????????????
              > >
              > >JIm

              > >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ed Klenovich
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                  Thanks for explaining Ron,

                  I now understand what you meant when you said it was 1/2 hour from Alaska.

                  Jim

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
                    That is sooooooooooo true -- I'd even go so far as to say that Fairbanks is a military base, not really Alaska either. I've been to Seward, Chicken, Tok, McCarthy & Kennicott mine -- and I'm even going to say that I've probably never seen what you'd call "Alaska" -- Mt. McKinley only made me angry, no parking and never did see the peak -- oh well, bought a nice postcard -- then drove to Wrangell-St. Elias -- that was much more my speed. Chicago is not representative of the rest of Illinois either.

                    Caye

                    wrote:
                    > Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
                    > direction.

                    > JIm

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT