Re: [Slovak-World] Re: New Year's festives

  • David
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
      Perhaps it means..Anchorage is only a 1/2 hour from any Alaskan in any
      direction. But then again, I would think it would take more then an hour to
      travel across Alaska. Probably by plane.
      What is it Ron? Happy new year to you and your Eskimo Slovak Rusyn friends.
      Dave Kuchta

      At 11:01 AM 1/1/2004 -0800, you wrote:
      >Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
      >direction.
      >

      >??????????????????????????????
      >
      >JIm

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >To visit your group on the web, go to:

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • capt jack

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
          At 04:13 PM 1/1/2004 +00-03, you wrote:
          >Perhaps it means..Anchorage is only a 1/2 hour from any Alaskan in any
          >direction. But then again, I would think it would take more then an hour to
          >travel across Alaska. Probably by plane.
          >What is it Ron? Happy new year to you and your Eskimo Slovak Rusyn friends.
          >Dave Kuchta

          I believe Ron means that Anchorage is a city and not the beautiful, natural
          Alaska that most people admire. Driving 20 miles in any direction will get
          you out of Anchorage and into the Alaska of great scenery, small towns, and
          away from the wild life in the city and near the natural wild life. Then
          again, I could be wrong. ;-)

          Janko
        • Jan Lan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
            At 04:13 PM 1/1/2004 +00-03, you wrote:
            >Perhaps it means..Anchorage is only a 1/2 hour from any Alaskan in any
            >direction. But then again, I would think it would take more then an hour to
            >travel across Alaska. Probably by plane.
            >What is it Ron? Happy new year to you and your Eskimo Slovak Rusyn friends.
            >Dave Kuchta

            I believe Ron means that Anchorage is a city and not the beautiful, natural
            Alaska that most people admire. Driving 20 miles in any direction will get
            you out of Anchorage and into the Alaska of great scenery, small towns, and
            away from the wild life in the city and near the natural wild life. Then
            again, I could be wrong. ;-)

            Janko
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
              Jim,

              I had to say SOMETHING nice about Anchorage, and this "it is only 1/2
              hour form Alaska" is the nicest thing about the city - and the city
              is a whole lot nicer today than when I lived here in the mid '70's!

              Anchorage is a nice place, only it is not Alaska. It even has moose
              on the ski and bicycle trails, resident black bears, wolf packs
              within the city limits, and can even claim to be the only US city
              with resident brown bears.

              With all of that, it is NOT Alaska. However, you can drive to the
              city limits and hike into wilderness or fly off in any direction the
              1/2 hour, and you are in true wilderness and true Alaska. When I go
              out in the villages I am "just another white guy from Anchorage"
              until I establish my Alaskan credentials by mentioning I lived in
              Fairbanks for 15 years and worked & lived in the bush a lot. That
              tells people that I may live in the vicinity of Anchorage, but I know
              Alaska.

              Would you expect someone from New York City to be able to understand
              or explain the rest of the USA? My answer is no, and up here the
              difference between Anchorage and Alaska is even more extreme.

              Now to read the other posts and see what else came up in topic...
              actually, it is really nice being at home in Alaska and perfectly
              comfortable in Europe - it is the best of both worlds!

              Ron

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, capt jack <captjack00@y...>
              wrote:
              > Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
              > direction.
              >

              > ??????????????????????????????
              >
              > JIm

            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                Ed,

                You nailed it, right on.
                Happy New Year.

                Ron

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ed Klenovich <nsspiker@o...>
                wrote:
                > I think he is trying to say that true Alaskans don't consider
                Anchorage to be part of the real Alaska. To get to the real
                Alaska, you have to go 1/2 hour in any direction.
                > Ed Klenovich
                > >Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
                > >direction.
                > >

                > >??????????????????????????????
                > >
                > >JIm

                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ed Klenovich
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                    Thanks for explaining Ron,

                    I now understand what you meant when you said it was 1/2 hour from Alaska.

                    Jim

                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
                      That is sooooooooooo true -- I'd even go so far as to say that Fairbanks is a military base, not really Alaska either. I've been to Seward, Chicken, Tok, McCarthy & Kennicott mine -- and I'm even going to say that I've probably never seen what you'd call "Alaska" -- Mt. McKinley only made me angry, no parking and never did see the peak -- oh well, bought a nice postcard -- then drove to Wrangell-St. Elias -- that was much more my speed. Chicago is not representative of the rest of Illinois either.

                      Caye

                      wrote:
                      > Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
                      > direction.

                      > JIm

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT