Re: New Year's festives

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
      Happy New year and welcome to our world Vlad! Bratislava may be
      decadent and not typical of the country, but so is New York, and so
      is Berlin, and so is Anchorage in Alaska. I suspect this may be
      typical of the 'big' cities. In America we accept and even celebrate
      New York as New York. The Germans complain about Berlin, but readily
      accept it as a cultural center, and perhaps the only 'true city' in
      the country (Hamburg, Frankfurt and Munich are just overgrown
      villages by this measure). In Alaska we are stuck with Anchorage as
      our biggest city with almost 50% of the population - and call the
      place "Little Los Angeles", not that it is a City of Angels! On the
      positive side, Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
      direction.

      So it is a happy and a white new year, as it should be!

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
      wrote:
      > Bratislava has shown once again, how decadent it is.
      > TV station Markiza, the most popular one, had a program on the New
      Year's eve for several hours, showing tasteless jokes, sex and
      transvestites. Copying the "western culture". Making jokes about the
      hungarian minority.
      > This has absolutely nothing to do with the slovak people, their
      culture, their past or future.
      > Bratislava also in the past was a city of sin.Therefore Blavaci are
      not popular among slovaks.
      > Just at midnight, our small city of Nove Mesto had a heavy snowfall
      and wonderful fireworks.
      > Good morning to all across the pond in the New Year.
      > Vladimir

    • David
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
        Perhaps it means..Anchorage is only a 1/2 hour from any Alaskan in any
        direction. But then again, I would think it would take more then an hour to
        travel across Alaska. Probably by plane.
        What is it Ron? Happy new year to you and your Eskimo Slovak Rusyn friends.
        Dave Kuchta

        At 11:01 AM 1/1/2004 -0800, you wrote:
        >Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
        >direction.
        >

        >??????????????????????????????
        >
        >JIm

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • capt jack

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
            At 04:13 PM 1/1/2004 +00-03, you wrote:
            >Perhaps it means..Anchorage is only a 1/2 hour from any Alaskan in any
            >direction. But then again, I would think it would take more then an hour to
            >travel across Alaska. Probably by plane.
            >What is it Ron? Happy new year to you and your Eskimo Slovak Rusyn friends.
            >Dave Kuchta

            I believe Ron means that Anchorage is a city and not the beautiful, natural
            Alaska that most people admire. Driving 20 miles in any direction will get
            you out of Anchorage and into the Alaska of great scenery, small towns, and
            away from the wild life in the city and near the natural wild life. Then
            again, I could be wrong. ;-)

            Janko
          • Jan Lan
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                Jim,

                I had to say SOMETHING nice about Anchorage, and this "it is only 1/2
                hour form Alaska" is the nicest thing about the city - and the city
                is a whole lot nicer today than when I lived here in the mid '70's!

                Anchorage is a nice place, only it is not Alaska. It even has moose
                on the ski and bicycle trails, resident black bears, wolf packs
                within the city limits, and can even claim to be the only US city
                with resident brown bears.

                With all of that, it is NOT Alaska. However, you can drive to the
                city limits and hike into wilderness or fly off in any direction the
                1/2 hour, and you are in true wilderness and true Alaska. When I go
                out in the villages I am "just another white guy from Anchorage"
                until I establish my Alaskan credentials by mentioning I lived in
                Fairbanks for 15 years and worked & lived in the bush a lot. That
                tells people that I may live in the vicinity of Anchorage, but I know
                Alaska.

                Would you expect someone from New York City to be able to understand
                or explain the rest of the USA? My answer is no, and up here the
                difference between Anchorage and Alaska is even more extreme.

                Now to read the other posts and see what else came up in topic...
                actually, it is really nice being at home in Alaska and perfectly
                comfortable in Europe - it is the best of both worlds!

                Ron

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, capt jack <captjack00@y...>
                wrote:
                > Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
                > direction.
                >

                > ??????????????????????????????
                >
                > JIm

              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                  Ed,

                  You nailed it, right on.
                  Happy New Year.

                  Ron

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ed Klenovich <nsspiker@o...>
                  wrote:
                  > I think he is trying to say that true Alaskans don't consider
                  Anchorage to be part of the real Alaska. To get to the real
                  Alaska, you have to go 1/2 hour in any direction.
                  > Ed Klenovich
                  > >Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
                  > >direction.
                  > >

                  > >??????????????????????????????
                  > >
                  > >JIm

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Ed Klenovich
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                      Thanks for explaining Ron,

                      I now understand what you meant when you said it was 1/2 hour from Alaska.

                      Jim

                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
                        That is sooooooooooo true -- I'd even go so far as to say that Fairbanks is a military base, not really Alaska either. I've been to Seward, Chicken, Tok, McCarthy & Kennicott mine -- and I'm even going to say that I've probably never seen what you'd call "Alaska" -- Mt. McKinley only made me angry, no parking and never did see the peak -- oh well, bought a nice postcard -- then drove to Wrangell-St. Elias -- that was much more my speed. Chicago is not representative of the rest of Illinois either.

                        Caye

                        wrote:
                        > Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
                        > direction.

                        > JIm

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT