New Year's festives

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
      Bratislava has shown once again, how decadent it is.
      TV station Markiza, the most popular one, had a program on the New Year's eve for several hours, showing tasteless jokes, sex and transvestites. Copying the "western culture". Making jokes about the hungarian minority.
      This has absolutely nothing to do with the slovak people, their culture, their past or future.
      Bratislava also in the past was a city of sin.Therefore Blavaci are not popular among slovaks.
      Just at midnight, our small city of Nove Mesto had a heavy snowfall and wonderful fireworks.
      Good morning to all across the pond in the New Year.
      Vladimir

    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
        Happy New year and welcome to our world Vlad! Bratislava may be
        decadent and not typical of the country, but so is New York, and so
        is Berlin, and so is Anchorage in Alaska. I suspect this may be
        typical of the 'big' cities. In America we accept and even celebrate
        New York as New York. The Germans complain about Berlin, but readily
        accept it as a cultural center, and perhaps the only 'true city' in
        the country (Hamburg, Frankfurt and Munich are just overgrown
        villages by this measure). In Alaska we are stuck with Anchorage as
        our biggest city with almost 50% of the population - and call the
        place "Little Los Angeles", not that it is a City of Angels! On the
        positive side, Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
        direction.

        So it is a happy and a white new year, as it should be!

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@n...>
        wrote:
        > Bratislava has shown once again, how decadent it is.
        > TV station Markiza, the most popular one, had a program on the New
        Year's eve for several hours, showing tasteless jokes, sex and
        transvestites. Copying the "western culture". Making jokes about the
        hungarian minority.
        > This has absolutely nothing to do with the slovak people, their
        culture, their past or future.
        > Bratislava also in the past was a city of sin.Therefore Blavaci are
        not popular among slovaks.
        > Just at midnight, our small city of Nove Mesto had a heavy snowfall
        and wonderful fireworks.
        > Good morning to all across the pond in the New Year.
        > Vladimir

      • capt jack
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
          Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
          direction.

          ??????????????????????????????

          JIm

        • David
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
            Perhaps it means..Anchorage is only a 1/2 hour from any Alaskan in any
            direction. But then again, I would think it would take more then an hour to
            travel across Alaska. Probably by plane.
            What is it Ron? Happy new year to you and your Eskimo Slovak Rusyn friends.
            Dave Kuchta

            At 11:01 AM 1/1/2004 -0800, you wrote:
            >Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
            >direction.
            >

            >??????????????????????????????
            >
            >JIm

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >To visit your group on the web, go to:

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Jan Lan
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
              At 04:13 PM 1/1/2004 +00-03, you wrote:
              >Perhaps it means..Anchorage is only a 1/2 hour from any Alaskan in any
              >direction. But then again, I would think it would take more then an hour to
              >travel across Alaska. Probably by plane.
              >What is it Ron? Happy new year to you and your Eskimo Slovak Rusyn friends.
              >Dave Kuchta

              I believe Ron means that Anchorage is a city and not the beautiful, natural
              Alaska that most people admire. Driving 20 miles in any direction will get
              you out of Anchorage and into the Alaska of great scenery, small towns, and
              away from the wild life in the city and near the natural wild life. Then
              again, I could be wrong. ;-)

              Janko
            • Jan Lan
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                  Jim,

                  I had to say SOMETHING nice about Anchorage, and this "it is only 1/2
                  hour form Alaska" is the nicest thing about the city - and the city
                  is a whole lot nicer today than when I lived here in the mid '70's!

                  Anchorage is a nice place, only it is not Alaska. It even has moose
                  on the ski and bicycle trails, resident black bears, wolf packs
                  within the city limits, and can even claim to be the only US city
                  with resident brown bears.

                  With all of that, it is NOT Alaska. However, you can drive to the
                  city limits and hike into wilderness or fly off in any direction the
                  1/2 hour, and you are in true wilderness and true Alaska. When I go
                  out in the villages I am "just another white guy from Anchorage"
                  until I establish my Alaskan credentials by mentioning I lived in
                  Fairbanks for 15 years and worked & lived in the bush a lot. That
                  tells people that I may live in the vicinity of Anchorage, but I know
                  Alaska.

                  Would you expect someone from New York City to be able to understand
                  or explain the rest of the USA? My answer is no, and up here the
                  difference between Anchorage and Alaska is even more extreme.

                  Now to read the other posts and see what else came up in topic...
                  actually, it is really nice being at home in Alaska and perfectly
                  comfortable in Europe - it is the best of both worlds!

                  Ron

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, capt jack <captjack00@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
                  > direction.
                  >

                  > ??????????????????????????????
                  >
                  > JIm

                • amiak27
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                    Ed,

                    You nailed it, right on.
                    Happy New Year.

                    Ron

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ed Klenovich <nsspiker@o...>
                    wrote:
                    > I think he is trying to say that true Alaskans don't consider
                    Anchorage to be part of the real Alaska. To get to the real
                    Alaska, you have to go 1/2 hour in any direction.
                    > Ed Klenovich
                    > >Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
                    > >direction.
                    > >

                    > >??????????????????????????????
                    > >
                    > >JIm

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Ed Klenovich
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                        Thanks for explaining Ron,

                        I now understand what you meant when you said it was 1/2 hour from Alaska.

                        Jim

                      • Caye Caswick
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
                          That is sooooooooooo true -- I'd even go so far as to say that Fairbanks is a military base, not really Alaska either. I've been to Seward, Chicken, Tok, McCarthy & Kennicott mine -- and I'm even going to say that I've probably never seen what you'd call "Alaska" -- Mt. McKinley only made me angry, no parking and never did see the peak -- oh well, bought a nice postcard -- then drove to Wrangell-St. Elias -- that was much more my speed. Chicago is not representative of the rest of Illinois either.

                          Caye

                          wrote:
                          > Anchorage is only 1/2 hour from Alaska in any
                          > direction.

                          > JIm

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT