(Slovak World) Re: Czech Cross-American or not?

  • krejc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2003
      My friend took global economics and is a professional in international
      business. Countries seem to have no borders and money just seems to merge into one
      big global economy. I was raised to "root! root! root! for the home team at
      the old ball game" .Am I just another old fogey?? :O)
      on a more serious note, I read that the Czechs, though they are financially
      strapped, are more or less being forced into upgrading their aircraft due to
      NATO pressure. (Or it may be due to European Union pressure.) But i remember
      reading that this was their primary motive for the purchase negotiations in
      the first place.
      Noreen

      When reading this story it isn't as simple as it sounds.  It's not just about
      an ally not buying American.  The Czech are leasing the
      Grippens and not buyin, perhaps Lockheed does not have a lease deal.  Czech
      Rep. is a small country, perhaps the F-16 is not really
      suitable for their needs.  The Czechs probably buy plenty from us already and
      they might want a diverisified air force.  I mean if they
      only had one type of aircraf, the F-16, and then Lockheed grounds the planes
      for a mechnical problem where would the Czech Rep.
      be?  Also, SAAB cars are owned by Ford, they same might be true for the
      aircraft division.  So they might actually be buying
      American.  Just because a product has a foriegn name doesn't mean it isn't
      American.  Of the course the reverse is also true Phillips
      Electronics and Shell Oil are Dutch.

      Colin