Re: [Slovak-World] translation

  • WHew536674@cs.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 8, 2003
      Would someone please tell me how to write "Merry Christmas and a happy new
      year" in Slovak please.

      Thanks,
      Joyce

    • Scott T. Mikusko
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 8, 2003
        Vesele' Vianoce a Stastny' Novy' Rok!

        (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!)

        I think you can use "Stastlivy" for "Stastny" as well for "Happy"

        -Scott

        On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 WHew536674@... wrote:

        > Would someone please tell me how to write "Merry Christmas and a happy new
        > year" in Slovak please.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Joyce

      • capt jack
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 18, 2003
          Could anyone help me with this Christmas card I recieved from Slovakia? Thanks in advance for your help

          Vela zdrarrcu cu sloslica a mily'ch spomienok praju' rodimy.

          I was trying to type this from cursive writting so I hope I have the correct letters.

          Jim

        • LOOK
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 18, 2003
            > Could anyone help me with this Christmas card I recieved from Slovakia? Thanks in advance for your help
            >
            > Vela zdrarrcu cu sloslica a mily'ch spomienok praju' rodimy.
            Vela zdravia zo srdca a milych spomienok praju rodiny ............... ??????????
            > I was trying to type this from cursive writting so I hope I have the correct letters.
            >
            > Jim
            Jan

          • capt jack
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 18, 2003
              anyhelp yet on translating the card I recieved today?

              Jim

            • Jan Lan
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 18, 2003
                At 06:09 PM 12/18/2003 -0800, you wrote:
                >anyhelp yet on translating the card I recieved today?
                >
                >Jim

                You might scan it an put it in the photo section of S-W. A rough guess
                would be "I wish our relatives much health, good luck and dear memories.

                Janko
              • capt jack
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 19, 2003
                  Thanks jan

                  I took your advice and posted a picture of the card in the photo section of our list. I noticed that if you click on the picture a couple of times, it enlarges the photo to make it more readable.
                  I am mostly interested in the handwritten end of the card, so if anyone out there can help, I would appreciate it!

                  Jim

                • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 19, 2003
                    It says The families of Vladimir and Viktor (can't read last name, but
                    you probably know it) wish you much health and happiness and pleasant
                    memories.

                    Joe

                    I took your advice and posted a picture of the card in the photo
                    section of our list. I noticed that if you click on the picture a
                    couple of times, it enlarges the photo to make it more readable.
                    I am mostly interested in the handwritten end of the card, so if
                    anyone out there can help, I would appreciate it!

                    Jim

                    ---------------------~-->
                    Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
                    Canada.
                    http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/KDdolB/TM

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • yawho2001
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 19, 2003
                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, capt jack <captjack00@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > Thanks jan
                      >
                      > I took your advice and posted a picture of the card in the
                      photo section of our list. I noticed that if you click on the
                      picture a couple of times, it enlarges the photo to make it more
                      readable.
                      > I am mostly interested in the handwritten end of the card, so
                      if anyone out there can help, I would appreciate it!

                      > Jim

                      Only you can enlarge it the rest of us are wysiwyg (what you see is
                      what you get). By downloading and magnifying using graphics software
                      I got:

                      Vel'a zrdravia a s^tatstia a mily'ch spomu'noch praju' rodiny , which
                      I believe translates to about what I posted earlier based on guessing
                      what you transcribed and posted.

                      Janko
                    • yawho2001
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 19, 2003
                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"
                        <jarmata@g...> wrote:
                        > It says The families of Vladimir and Viktor (can't read last name,
                        but
                        > you probably know it) wish you much health and happiness and
                        pleasant
                        > memories.
                        >
                        > Joe

                        Joe it looks like it's from Vladimira and Dr. Viklora (?)

                        Janko
                      • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 19, 2003
                          Yes, but I took the -a endings to be genitive case: rodiny Vladimira i
                          Viktora = the families of Vladimir and of Viktor. I could be wrong!

                          Joe

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 19, 2003
                            You are correct Joe, those are their names.

                            Jim

                          • yawho2001
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 19, 2003
                              <jarmata@g...> wrote:
                              > Yes, but I took the -a endings to be genitive case: rodiny
                              Vladimira i
                              > Viktora = the families of Vladimir and of Viktor. I could be wrong!
                              >
                              > Joe

                              I'm certain you are correct. Mine are "seat-of-the-pants"
                              translations. Also, people my age don't mention terms like genitive
                              in public. ;-)

                              Janko
                            • krejc@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 1, 2004
                                Martin,
                                Thank you very much for giving the translation of their decision. Vladimir
                                L. said the same thing which you did concerning the current status of the
                                expatriate card and I am just keeping my fingers crossed that they either keep the
                                expatriate status or offer something else.
                                Noreen

                              • john peterson
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 10 4:56 PM
                                  "ne pl'ut' v prameni pretoze raz m�z^ete chciet k pitiu od to."
                                  Actually, this does not say do not spit into the well, it is written in old Slovak, and correctly translated, says do not spit into the source..........

                                  Close enough though

                                • sandman6294
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 10 7:26 PM
                                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, john peterson <area982000@y...>

                                    wrote:
                                    >"ne pl'ut' v prameni pretoze raz môz^ete chciet k pitiu od to."
                                    Actually, this does not say do not spit into the well, it is written
                                    in old Slovak, and correctly translated, says do not spit into the
                                    source.......... <

                                    >Close enough though<

                                    Thanks. Should I have used "studn~a"? For some reason I associate
                                    that word with spring house, a place to keep things cool. I wonder
                                    if it derives from the word "studena" (cold). I know my parents made
                                    a dish called studen^ina (sp) in the winter which was basically
                                    boiled pigs feet. After boiling the bejabbers out of the pigs feet,
                                    all but the meat and fluid was removed and then the dish was placed
                                    in a cold location to gel. Tasted great properly seasoned with salt
                                    and pepper and eaten with fresh rye bread.

                                    RU
                                  • J. Michutka
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 10 8:21 PM
                                      >I know my parents made
                                      >a dish called studen^ina (sp) in the winter which was basically
                                      >boiled pigs feet. After boiling the bejabbers out of the pigs feet,
                                      >all but the meat and fluid was removed and then the dish was placed
                                      >in a cold location to gel. Tasted great properly seasoned with salt
                                      >and pepper and eaten with fresh rye bread.

                                      My dad loved to make this stuff. Kept it in a glass bowl in the frig. I
                                      thought it looked disgusting, and refused to try it!

                                      Julie Michutka
                                      jmm@...
                                    • john peterson
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 10 9:50 PM
                                        "studn~a" would be correct, although I am not sure what you are referring to when you say spring house. I don't get the correlation between that and well. I am familiar with the pigs feet, we refereed to that as pickled pigs feet. I remember pulling them out of the gelatin creating a sucking sound, and eating them.

                                        sandman6294 <sandman6294@...> wrote: --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, john peterson <area982000@y...>

                                        wrote:
                                        >"ne pl'ut' v prameni pretoze raz m�z^ete chciet k pitiu od to."
                                        Actually, this does not say do not spit into the well, it is written
                                        in old Slovak, and correctly translated, says do not spit into the
                                        source.......... <

                                        >Close enough though<

                                        Thanks. Should I have used "studn~a"? For some reason I associate
                                        that word with spring house, a place to keep things cool. I wonder
                                        if it derives from the word "studena" (cold). I know my parents made
                                        a dish called studen^ina (sp) in the winter which was basically
                                        boiled pigs feet. After boiling the bejabbers out of the pigs feet,
                                        all but the meat and fluid was removed and then the dish was placed
                                        in a cold location to gel. Tasted great properly seasoned with salt
                                        and pepper and eaten with fresh rye bread.

                                        RU

                                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 11 11:07 AM
                                          We called that boiled pig's feet concoction "huspenina" and I loved. My
                                          father did also. Haven't had it in a long time but I surely remember it fondly.
                                          Pavel

                                        • David
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 11 1:17 PM
                                            Hi: A springhouse is usually a small building, about 4X5 foot that is built
                                            over a spring, sometimes larger, where water comes up out of the ground .
                                            The springhouse is cold all year long. Many farmers used this as their ice
                                            boxes in the years before the refrigerators came on to the market. Of
                                            course, not all farmers had springs bubbling out of the ground on their
                                            property. The ones that do now a days could make a fortune on selling
                                            bottled spring water. I have seen many of these springhouses in my time.
                                            Some are large and you can see the water literally bubbling up out of the
                                            earth. The water is always clean and cold and tastes great!
                                            Dave Kuchta

                                          • BJLK@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 11 5:31 PM
                                              In a message dated 7/11/2004 12:26:15 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                              area982000@... writes:

                                              ne pl'ut' v prameni . . .

                                              Since no one has yet mentioned it, pramen~ can also refer to one of those
                                              lovely mountain springs that gush up out of the earth with crystal-clear, natural
                                              mineral water. My mother once described to me a beautiful one she discovered
                                              near her home high up in the Tatras. She promised to show it to me when we
                                              could go for a visit, but she did not live long enough to keep her promise.
                                            • Bernardine Weigand
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 11 8:06 PM
                                                sandman6294 wrote:
                                                > snip...............................................snip....................
                                                > ---

                                                > Thanks. Should I have used "studn~a"? For some reason I associate
                                                > that word with spring house, a place to keep things cool. I wonder
                                                > if it derives from the word "studena" (cold). I know my parents made
                                                > a dish called studen^ina (sp) in the winter which was basically
                                                > boiled pigs feet. After boiling the bejabbers out of the pigs feet,
                                                > all but the meat and fluid was removed and then the dish was placed
                                                > in a cold location to gel. Tasted great properly seasoned with salt
                                                > and pepper and eaten with fresh rye bread.
                                                >
                                                > RU

                                                This sounds exactly like my one of my Baba's preparations. We called it--I shall spell it phoonetically--"Kuch-uh-nin-ah". I loved it although my siblings wouldn't touch or taste it. I haven't had it in years, as my Mom never prepared it . So after Baba died, that was it.

                                                Ah yes, served properly seasoned on fresh Jewish rye from the local bakery.

                                                Bernardine

                                              • Gil K.