Re: [Slovak-World] Apologies - Re: For Miner Dave

  • Tom Flynn
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
      On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Lil Junas wrote:
      > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
      > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
      > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
      > lil
      >

      > >Ahoj,
      > >
      > >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara' L'ubovna.
      > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
      > >reach him at:
      > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
      > >
      > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my grandfather
      > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
      > >
      > >zBohom,
      > >Colin
      > >
      > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
      > >wrote:
      > >> raybravo,
      > >>
      > >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
      > >>
      > >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
      > >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
      > >>
      > >> Curt B,
      > >>
      > >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
      > >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
      > >> Curtis's

      > >> Lansford

      Indeed, my mother's family is from Zemplinska Teplica in Eastern Slovakia,
      though not many from her family emigrated to the US (just 2 people).
      We had a "Varga" relative staying with them for 3 months this summer here
      in the US (with his girlfriend), he was working a summer job between 4th
      and 5th years of college (guess their equivalent to "bachelors" degree
      program is 5 years long (business school), maybe ours will be extended
      from 4 years also to cover the extra courses now needed?
      ---------
      Tom Flynn
      I speak only for myself
    • raybravo2000
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
        Yes, while I was in Slovakia I saw a Varga Construction Co., a Varga running
        for office, and I even saw a jeans store called "Colin". Here in Manayunk
        (Philly) there were four Vargas when I moved here. Also I found a "Collin
        Varga" in the Yukon and I gotta call this guy at some point.
        Colin

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lil Junas <lil.junas@w...> wrote:
        > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
        > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
        > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
        > lil
        >

        > >Ahoj,
        > >
        > >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara'
        L'ubovna.
        > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
        > >reach him at:
        > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
        > >
        > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my
        grandfather
        > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
        > >
        > >zBohom,
        > >Colin
        > >
        > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
        > >wrote:
        > >> raybravo,
        > >>
        > >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
        > >>
        > >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
        > >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
        > >>
        > >> Curt B,
        > >>
        > >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
        > >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
        > >> Curtis's

        > >> Lansford

        > LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
        > For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
        > http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
        > "To be nobody but myself."
      • Mary Flynn
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 19, 2004
          ---mvflynn88@... writes:
          My Varga cousins live in Zemplinska Teplica and
          Kosice.My Father was Andrew Varga who was born in 1899
          in Kerestur(now Zemplinska Teplica), Austo-Hungary(now
          Slovak Republic. He married my mother, Johanna
          Faragova in 1922 and immigrated to Pennsylvania the
          next year where he lived until 1966. Are there any
          other Varga's who lived in Zemplinska Teplica
          (Kerestur) and may be ancestors of members of
          Slovak-World?
          Mary Varga Flynn

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 19, 2004
            My Varga cousins live in Male Ozorovce, which is just 2 villages down
            the road from Zemplinska Teplica. My mom's 1st cousin married Jan Varga
            (also their younger son's name). Jan's younger brother came to Chicago
            sometime after WWII. Irony: a woman from Z. Teplica married Jan's
            other son and became a Varga. I remember hearing the name Kerestur in
            my parents' reminiscences when I was a kid.

            Helen

            >>> mvflynn88@... 7/19/2004 2:58:58 PM >>>

            raybravo2000 <colinv@...> wrote:
            > Yes, while I was in Slovakia I saw a Varga
            > Construction Co., a Varga running
            > for office, and I even saw a jeans store called
            > "Colin". Here in Manayunk
            > (Philly) there were four Vargas when I moved here.
            > Also I found a "Collin
            > Varga" in the Yukon and I gotta call this guy at
            > some point.
            > Colin
            >
            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lil Junas
            > <lil.junas@w...> wrote:
            > > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern
            > Slovakia. My maternal
            > > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the
            > USA), came to America
            > > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern
            > Slovakia.
            > > lil
            > >

            > > >Ahoj,
            > > >
            > > >My Varga family comes from a village called
            > Jakubany near Stara'
            > L'ubovna.
            > > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is,
            > Ron Cieslak. You can
            > > >reach him at:
            > > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
            > > >
            > > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came
            > over before my
            > grandfather
            > > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
            > > >
            > > >zBohom,
            > > >Colin
            > > >
            > > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis
            > Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>

            > everyone's perspective.

            > married Jan Varga who
            > Are we cousins?

            > "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
            > was a some one in this
            > father's cousin or

            > Bochanyin"
            > number 6 mine in
            > kind of work did he do?

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            > >

            > > LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College.
            > Waverly, Iowa 50677
            > > For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide,
            > check
            > > http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
            > > "To be nobody but myself."

          • Robert Pollak
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
              Dave,

              I was at the Family History Center today viewing a film from Krasnohorske Podhradie, Slovakia and I came across a number of entries with the name Kuchta. I don't know if these are your ancestors or not but I thought I would let you know.

              Bob Pollak

            • David
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                Hi: Thank you for thinking about me. There are a few Kuchtas in Western Slovakia, and most if not all that were related to me are dead, except one cousin who was a Kuchta and then married. So none of her children are Kuchtas. Now, in Eastern Slovakia there are many live Kuchtas but none are related to me. Amazing, but true.
                Dave
                I was at the Family History Center today viewing a film from Krasnohorske Podhradie, Slovakia and I came across a number of entries with the name Kuchta. I don't know if these are your ancestors or not but I thought I would let you know.

                Bob Pollak

              • Paul Wolsko
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                  David,

                  Noticed today an obit in the local papers for a Joseph A. Kuchta of Princeton. Is this a relative?

                  Hope this finds you well!

                  Paul Wolsko
                  Hopatcong, New Jersey

                • David
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2009
                    Hello Paul: Thanks for thinking about me. No, he is not a relation. I have a cold that is probably an allergy that won't go away. I did get a blast of the upper respiratory infection along with it. Other wise, I'm in good health. I'm reading and keeping in touch with Slovak World. Taking it all in, but just keeping in the wings. For all you Slovak Steam Engine buffs, No. 9 Mine has on loan, one of the old steam "Lokies," that operated in the area.Made in 1920. (Not operatable) I remember on our tour in Slovakia, we rode on a steam train. GREAT! I love them.
                    Dave Kuchta