RE: [Slovak-World] Sneaky

  • Bill Tarkulich
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
      David,

      We have already had several "traffic jams" on the internet, where millions
      of messages ("mail storms") are sent at the same time by innocent users,
      having had their PC's taken over by "zombies" which quitely invade your
      machines. In some cases, it has taken the worldwide internet as long as 48
      hours to resolve. I had a zombie take over my computer once, even with
      antivirus, spam, firewalls and so on. Fortunately I saw it happen. It took
      over my keyboard, mouse and screen. It started running programs and sending
      stuff over the internet. My first reaction was to pull the physical plug on
      the internet. This saved me. It still took me hours to clean up.

      In my Fortune-50 company, we have found it necessary on occassion to
      disconnect the 140,000 employee email system from the internet for as long
      as 24 hours. Certainly this cost us millions of dollars.

      Believe me, there are already internet terrorists trying their darndest.
      More and more viruses are coming from offshore and are sophisticated enough
      that they required funding to develop. So when it does crash again, and it
      will, make sure you have a backup of everything electronic that is near and
      dear to you.

      If other readers have not yet been persuaded to keep their antivirus
      definitions up to date and not to open any unknown mail, perhaps this will.

      Bill Tarkulich