RE: [Slovak-World] Sneaky

  • Bill Tarkulich
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      Good luck to you. I had removed 100% of my junk through my filters and two
      commercial versions running in tandem, but that lasted about two days.
      Legislations just won't do it. The issue is that many of these messages are
      coming from rogue servers in Nigeria, Lithuania, Russia, Korea, and places
      where legislation, even international law will have little effect. They
      don't even have to use an ISP, just set up their own server, seridipitously
      register it and voila, in business. Take it down after a couple of days,
      reconfigure it and you're a new man (read: server.)
      The internet structure is frankly too weak (read: trusting) in it's present
      incarnation.

      Efforts are underway to make trustworthy computing a lynchpin of next
      generation communications networking software. Don't hold your breath, it
      will be several more years before you will see its effects. It's like
      trying to redesign a highway once you've let 20 million cars a day access
      it. You can't just stop all the cars and ask people to buy a new one.

      I hope you make a million. When you do, I'll be first in line... :) Keep
      tryin'....

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
          David,

          We have already had several "traffic jams" on the internet, where millions
          of messages ("mail storms") are sent at the same time by innocent users,
          having had their PC's taken over by "zombies" which quitely invade your
          machines. In some cases, it has taken the worldwide internet as long as 48
          hours to resolve. I had a zombie take over my computer once, even with
          antivirus, spam, firewalls and so on. Fortunately I saw it happen. It took
          over my keyboard, mouse and screen. It started running programs and sending
          stuff over the internet. My first reaction was to pull the physical plug on
          the internet. This saved me. It still took me hours to clean up.

          In my Fortune-50 company, we have found it necessary on occassion to
          disconnect the 140,000 employee email system from the internet for as long
          as 24 hours. Certainly this cost us millions of dollars.

          Believe me, there are already internet terrorists trying their darndest.
          More and more viruses are coming from offshore and are sophisticated enough
          that they required funding to develop. So when it does crash again, and it
          will, make sure you have a backup of everything electronic that is near and
          dear to you.

          If other readers have not yet been persuaded to keep their antivirus
          definitions up to date and not to open any unknown mail, perhaps this will.

          Bill Tarkulich

          I hate to even think about what you have written. I know it is true, and it
          could become a big problem. In fact, it's amazing that terrorists and third
          world countries that hate America aren't on the band wagon, trying to cause
          interruptions and humongous back loads of messages. I wonder if they could
          jam the email system to a point of collapse?
          Dave

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003