RE: [Slovak-World] Sneaky

  • Bill Tarkulich
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      I was going to be quite impressed if as you said in a prior email, you had
      conquered spam. If that is true, you could sell it and would be a
      millionaire several fold. There are dozens of companies and thousands of
      software developers all searching for that holy grail. There are also
      thousands of police detectives on the same trail, and yet, they are lucky if
      they have the time to catch one out of 10,000 in a recent report. Over 60%
      of all worldwide email traffic is now spam. (I receive over 120 spam
      messages per DAY, up from about 10 a day 12 months ago.) And of course, any
      mail "header" including email address can be forged with nary a trace.

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
        Good luck to you. I had removed 100% of my junk through my filters and two
        commercial versions running in tandem, but that lasted about two days.
        Legislations just won't do it. The issue is that many of these messages are
        coming from rogue servers in Nigeria, Lithuania, Russia, Korea, and places
        where legislation, even international law will have little effect. They
        don't even have to use an ISP, just set up their own server, seridipitously
        register it and voila, in business. Take it down after a couple of days,
        reconfigure it and you're a new man (read: server.)
        The internet structure is frankly too weak (read: trusting) in it's present
        incarnation.

        Efforts are underway to make trustworthy computing a lynchpin of next
        generation communications networking software. Don't hold your breath, it
        will be several more years before you will see its effects. It's like
        trying to redesign a highway once you've let 20 million cars a day access
        it. You can't just stop all the cars and ask people to buy a new one.

        I hope you make a million. When you do, I'll be first in line... :) Keep
        tryin'....

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Bill: So close, but so far. To think I almost was on the verge of becoming
        a millionaire.
        I almost beat them, but the battle isn't done. I shall not retreat to the
        trenches. I will stand fast and face the dirty bastards and fight them
        right to the very end. I am saying this, because I saw were the government
        is stepping up to the plate and is "supposedly," going to make them be a
        little more honest and also say in the subject line that it is an ADV. Of
        course, we will still have to wait for all the junk to down load before we
        can read the subject line. I did remove better then 95percent of the junk
        mail through my filters.
        Dave

        At 07:01 PM 12/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >I was going to be quite impressed if as you said in a prior email, you
        >had conquered spam. If that is true, you could sell it and would be a
        >millionaire several fold. There are dozens of companies and thousands
        >of software developers all searching for that holy grail. There are
        >also thousands of police detectives on the same trail, and yet, they
        >are lucky if they have the time to catch one out of 10,000 in a recent
        >report. Over 60% of all worldwide email traffic is now spam. (I
        >receive over 120 spam messages per DAY, up from about 10 a day 12
        >months ago.) And of course, any mail "header" including email address
        >can be forged with nary a trace.
        >

        >______________
        >Bill Tarkulich

      • David
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
            David,

            We have already had several "traffic jams" on the internet, where millions
            of messages ("mail storms") are sent at the same time by innocent users,
            having had their PC's taken over by "zombies" which quitely invade your
            machines. In some cases, it has taken the worldwide internet as long as 48
            hours to resolve. I had a zombie take over my computer once, even with
            antivirus, spam, firewalls and so on. Fortunately I saw it happen. It took
            over my keyboard, mouse and screen. It started running programs and sending
            stuff over the internet. My first reaction was to pull the physical plug on
            the internet. This saved me. It still took me hours to clean up.

            In my Fortune-50 company, we have found it necessary on occassion to
            disconnect the 140,000 employee email system from the internet for as long
            as 24 hours. Certainly this cost us millions of dollars.

            Believe me, there are already internet terrorists trying their darndest.
            More and more viruses are coming from offshore and are sophisticated enough
            that they required funding to develop. So when it does crash again, and it
            will, make sure you have a backup of everything electronic that is near and
            dear to you.

            If other readers have not yet been persuaded to keep their antivirus
            definitions up to date and not to open any unknown mail, perhaps this will.

            Bill Tarkulich

            I hate to even think about what you have written. I know it is true, and it
            could become a big problem. In fact, it's amazing that terrorists and third
            world countries that hate America aren't on the band wagon, trying to cause
            interruptions and humongous back loads of messages. I wonder if they could
            jam the email system to a point of collapse?
            Dave

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003