RE: [Slovak-World] Sneaky

  • David
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      Bill: So close, but so far. To think I almost was on the verge of becoming
      a millionaire.
      I almost beat them, but the battle isn't done. I shall not retreat to the
      trenches. I will stand fast and face the dirty bastards and fight them
      right to the very end. I am saying this, because I saw were the government
      is stepping up to the plate and is "supposedly," going to make them be a
      little more honest and also say in the subject line that it is an ADV. Of
      course, we will still have to wait for all the junk to down load before we
      can read the subject line. I did remove better then 95percent of the junk
      mail through my filters.
      Dave

      At 07:01 PM 12/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >I was going to be quite impressed if as you said in a prior email, you had
      >conquered spam. If that is true, you could sell it and would be a
      >millionaire several fold. There are dozens of companies and thousands of
      >software developers all searching for that holy grail. There are also
      >thousands of police detectives on the same trail, and yet, they are lucky if
      >they have the time to catch one out of 10,000 in a recent report. Over 60%
      >of all worldwide email traffic is now spam. (I receive over 120 spam
      >messages per DAY, up from about 10 a day 12 months ago.) And of course, any
      >mail "header" including email address can be forged with nary a trace.
      >

      >______________
      >Bill Tarkulich

    • Bill Tarkulich

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
          Good luck to you. I had removed 100% of my junk through my filters and two
          commercial versions running in tandem, but that lasted about two days.
          Legislations just won't do it. The issue is that many of these messages are
          coming from rogue servers in Nigeria, Lithuania, Russia, Korea, and places
          where legislation, even international law will have little effect. They
          don't even have to use an ISP, just set up their own server, seridipitously
          register it and voila, in business. Take it down after a couple of days,
          reconfigure it and you're a new man (read: server.)
          The internet structure is frankly too weak (read: trusting) in it's present
          incarnation.

          Efforts are underway to make trustworthy computing a lynchpin of next
          generation communications networking software. Don't hold your breath, it
          will be several more years before you will see its effects. It's like
          trying to redesign a highway once you've let 20 million cars a day access
          it. You can't just stop all the cars and ask people to buy a new one.

          I hope you make a million. When you do, I'll be first in line... :) Keep
          tryin'....

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
            I hate to even think about what you have written. I know it is true, and it
            could become a big problem. In fact, it's amazing that terrorists and third
            world countries that hate America aren't on the band wagon, trying to cause
            interruptions and humongous back loads of messages. I wonder if they could
            jam the email system to a point of collapse?
            Dave

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
              David,

              We have already had several "traffic jams" on the internet, where millions
              of messages ("mail storms") are sent at the same time by innocent users,
              having had their PC's taken over by "zombies" which quitely invade your
              machines. In some cases, it has taken the worldwide internet as long as 48
              hours to resolve. I had a zombie take over my computer once, even with
              antivirus, spam, firewalls and so on. Fortunately I saw it happen. It took
              over my keyboard, mouse and screen. It started running programs and sending
              stuff over the internet. My first reaction was to pull the physical plug on
              the internet. This saved me. It still took me hours to clean up.

              In my Fortune-50 company, we have found it necessary on occassion to
              disconnect the 140,000 employee email system from the internet for as long
              as 24 hours. Certainly this cost us millions of dollars.

              Believe me, there are already internet terrorists trying their darndest.
              More and more viruses are coming from offshore and are sophisticated enough
              that they required funding to develop. So when it does crash again, and it
              will, make sure you have a backup of everything electronic that is near and
              dear to you.

              If other readers have not yet been persuaded to keep their antivirus
              definitions up to date and not to open any unknown mail, perhaps this will.

              Bill Tarkulich