Re: [Slovak-World] Re: For Miner Dave

  • David
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      No they didn't break up the lumps of coal. They picked out the rock, slate
      and wood. They used regular crushers and screens to break and separate the
      coal to various sizes.
      It was long, boring work. In 1850 they worked 10 hours a day and got paid 5
      cents an hour. In 1913, wages doubled to 10 cents an hour. Yes, 63 years it
      took to go from five to ten cents. Dave Kuchta

      At 06:22 PM 12/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >I think what you are describing was also called a "Breaker Boy". I
      >believe coal was passed down a chute while boys with hammers
      >on either side broke up the large pieces of coal into smaller bits that
      >were more useable. I found this photo at the Library of Congress:
      >
      >http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?detr:4:./temp/~ammem_uWbB::@@@mdb=manz,eaa,aaeo,aaodyssey,hh,gottscho,bbpix,bbc
      >ards,magbell,berl,lbcoll,cdn,cic,cwnyhs,cwar,consrvbib,coolbib,coplandbib,curt,dag,fsaall,aep,fine,fmuever,dcm,cmns,cowellbib,toddbi
      >b,lomaxbib,ngp,gottlieb,alad,mcc,mymhiwebib,aipn,afcwip,fawbib,omhbib,pan,vv,wpapos,psbib,pin,presp,qlt,ncr,mesnbib,denn,runyon,
      >wtc,detr,upboverbib,varstg,horyd,hawp,suffrg,awh,awhbib,wright
      >
      >I believe there is an anthricite mine museum near Scraton which might have
      >more information.
      >Colin
      >
      >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
      > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
      > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
      > >
      > > Curt B.

    • David
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
        Curt: Reading your message once again, I'm reading it in another manner.
        The slate picker I explained. Now, as far as "Coal Cracker," goes, there is
        no such job in the mines or breaker. This was a term referring to all
        people who worked for the coal industry and for all the people who lived in
        coal mining communities. It was intended to be derogatory. Like, "Like he
        is a lousy coal cracker." But now it has changed. We "Coal Crackers," are
        proud of this heritage and it is an honor to be called such a name.
        So, when you father's cousin was referred to as a coal cracker, it was
        because he worked for a coal industry.
        Dave

        At 02:36 PM 12/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
        >as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
        >
        >Curt B.

      • raybravo2000
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
          My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or Curtis's
          father. I didn't mean to butt in.
          Colin

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
          > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
          > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
          >
          > Curt B.
        • Curtis Bochanyin
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
            raybravo,

            No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.

            By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
            was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?

            Curt B,

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
            wrote:
            > My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this
            Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
            Curtis's
            > father. I didn't mean to butt in.
            > Colin
            >
            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin"
            <curtb@a...> wrote:
            > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in
            Lansford
            > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
            > >
            > > Curt B.
          • raybravo2000
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
              Ahoj,

              My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara' L'ubovna.
              I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
              reach him at:
              http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/

              Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my grandfather
              in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.

              zBohom,

              wrote:
              > raybravo,
              >
              > No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
              >
              > By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
              > was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
              >
              > Curt B,
              >
              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
              > wrote:
              > > My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this
              > Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
              > Curtis's
              > > father. I didn't mean to butt in.
              > > Colin
              > >
              > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin"
              > <curtb@a...> wrote:
              > > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in
              > Lansford
              > > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
              > > >
              > > > Curt B.
            • David
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                Hey, Hey, No problem!
                Dave Kuchta or Miner Dave. Sometimes Humble Dave

                At 09:01 PM 12/2/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                >My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this Group. I
                >thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or Curtis's
                >father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                >Colin
                >
                >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
                > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
                > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
                > >
                > > Curt B.

              • Curtis Bochanyin
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                  Colin,
                  The Varga family I am related to came from Matasovce in Zemplin
                  County. So I guess they are not the same.

                  I have been in Stara Lubovna and Jakubany though...

                  wrote:
                  > Ahoj,
                  >
                  > My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara'
                  L'ubovna.
                  > I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You
                  can
                  > reach him at:
                  > http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                  >
                  > Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my
                  grandfather
                  > in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                  >
                  > zBohom,
                  > Colin

                • Lil Junas
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                    There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
                    grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
                    in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
                    lil

                    >Ahoj,
                    >
                    >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara' L'ubovna.
                    >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                    >reach him at:
                    >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                    >
                    >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my grandfather
                    >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                    >
                    >zBohom,
                    >Colin
                    >
                    >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
                    >wrote:
                    >> raybravo,
                    >>
                    >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                    >>
                    >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                    >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                    >>
                    >> Curt B,
                    >>
                    >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                    >> wrote:
                    >> > My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this
                    >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                    >> Curtis's
                    >> > father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                    >> > Colin
                    >> >
                    >> > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin"
                    >> Lansford

                    LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
                    For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
                    http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
                    "To be nobody but myself."
                  • Tom Flynn
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                      On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Lil Junas wrote:
                      > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
                      > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
                      > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
                      > lil
                      >

                      > >Ahoj,
                      > >
                      > >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara' L'ubovna.
                      > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                      > >reach him at:
                      > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                      > >
                      > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my grandfather
                      > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                      > >
                      > >zBohom,
                      > >Colin
                      > >
                      > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
                      > >wrote:
                      > >> raybravo,
                      > >>
                      > >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                      > >>
                      > >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                      > >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                      > >>
                      > >> Curt B,
                      > >>
                      > >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                      > >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                      > >> Curtis's

                      > >> Lansford

                      Indeed, my mother's family is from Zemplinska Teplica in Eastern Slovakia,
                      though not many from her family emigrated to the US (just 2 people).
                      We had a "Varga" relative staying with them for 3 months this summer here
                      in the US (with his girlfriend), he was working a summer job between 4th
                      and 5th years of college (guess their equivalent to "bachelors" degree
                      program is 5 years long (business school), maybe ours will be extended
                      from 4 years also to cover the extra courses now needed?
                      ---------
                      Tom Flynn
                      I speak only for myself
                    • raybravo2000
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                        Yes, while I was in Slovakia I saw a Varga Construction Co., a Varga running
                        for office, and I even saw a jeans store called "Colin". Here in Manayunk
                        (Philly) there were four Vargas when I moved here. Also I found a "Collin
                        Varga" in the Yukon and I gotta call this guy at some point.
                        Colin

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lil Junas <lil.junas@w...> wrote:
                        > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
                        > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
                        > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
                        > lil
                        >

                        > >Ahoj,
                        > >
                        > >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara'
                        L'ubovna.
                        > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                        > >reach him at:
                        > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                        > >
                        > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my
                        grandfather
                        > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                        > >
                        > >zBohom,
                        > >Colin
                        > >
                        > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
                        > >wrote:
                        > >> raybravo,
                        > >>
                        > >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                        > >>
                        > >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                        > >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                        > >>
                        > >> Curt B,
                        > >>
                        > >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                        > >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                        > >> Curtis's

                        > >> Lansford

                        > LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
                        > For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
                        > http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
                        > "To be nobody but myself."
                      • Mary Flynn
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 19, 2004
                          ---mvflynn88@... writes:
                          My Varga cousins live in Zemplinska Teplica and
                          Kosice.My Father was Andrew Varga who was born in 1899
                          in Kerestur(now Zemplinska Teplica), Austo-Hungary(now
                          Slovak Republic. He married my mother, Johanna
                          Faragova in 1922 and immigrated to Pennsylvania the
                          next year where he lived until 1966. Are there any
                          other Varga's who lived in Zemplinska Teplica
                          (Kerestur) and may be ancestors of members of
                          Slovak-World?
                          Mary Varga Flynn

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 19, 2004
                            My Varga cousins live in Male Ozorovce, which is just 2 villages down
                            the road from Zemplinska Teplica. My mom's 1st cousin married Jan Varga
                            (also their younger son's name). Jan's younger brother came to Chicago
                            sometime after WWII. Irony: a woman from Z. Teplica married Jan's
                            other son and became a Varga. I remember hearing the name Kerestur in
                            my parents' reminiscences when I was a kid.

                            Helen

                            >>> mvflynn88@... 7/19/2004 2:58:58 PM >>>

                            raybravo2000 <colinv@...> wrote:
                            > Yes, while I was in Slovakia I saw a Varga
                            > Construction Co., a Varga running
                            > for office, and I even saw a jeans store called
                            > "Colin". Here in Manayunk
                            > (Philly) there were four Vargas when I moved here.
                            > Also I found a "Collin
                            > Varga" in the Yukon and I gotta call this guy at
                            > some point.
                            > Colin
                            >
                            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lil Junas
                            > <lil.junas@w...> wrote:
                            > > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern
                            > Slovakia. My maternal
                            > > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the
                            > USA), came to America
                            > > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern
                            > Slovakia.
                            > > lil
                            > >

                            > > >Ahoj,
                            > > >
                            > > >My Varga family comes from a village called
                            > Jakubany near Stara'
                            > L'ubovna.
                            > > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is,
                            > Ron Cieslak. You can
                            > > >reach him at:
                            > > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                            > > >
                            > > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came
                            > over before my
                            > grandfather
                            > > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                            > > >
                            > > >zBohom,
                            > > >Colin
                            > > >
                            > > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis
                            > Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>

                            > everyone's perspective.

                            > married Jan Varga who
                            > Are we cousins?

                            > "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                            > was a some one in this
                            > father's cousin or

                            > Bochanyin"
                            > number 6 mine in
                            > kind of work did he do?

                            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                            > >

                            > > LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College.
                            > Waverly, Iowa 50677
                            > > For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide,
                            > check
                            > > http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
                            > > "To be nobody but myself."

                          • Robert Pollak
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 27 1:47 PM
                              Dave,

                              I was at the Family History Center today viewing a film from Krasnohorske Podhradie, Slovakia and I came across a number of entries with the name Kuchta. I don't know if these are your ancestors or not but I thought I would let you know.

                              Bob Pollak

                            • David
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 27 3:42 PM
                                Hi: Thank you for thinking about me. There are a few Kuchtas in Western Slovakia, and most if not all that were related to me are dead, except one cousin who was a Kuchta and then married. So none of her children are Kuchtas. Now, in Eastern Slovakia there are many live Kuchtas but none are related to me. Amazing, but true.
                                Dave
                                I was at the Family History Center today viewing a film from Krasnohorske Podhradie, Slovakia and I came across a number of entries with the name Kuchta. I don't know if these are your ancestors or not but I thought I would let you know.

                                Bob Pollak

                              • Paul Wolsko
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                                  David,

                                  Noticed today an obit in the local papers for a Joseph A. Kuchta of Princeton. Is this a relative?

                                  Hope this finds you well!

                                  Paul Wolsko
                                  Hopatcong, New Jersey

                                • David
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 3, 2009
                                    Hello Paul: Thanks for thinking about me. No, he is not a relation. I have a cold that is probably an allergy that won't go away. I did get a blast of the upper respiratory infection along with it. Other wise, I'm in good health. I'm reading and keeping in touch with Slovak World. Taking it all in, but just keeping in the wings. For all you Slovak Steam Engine buffs, No. 9 Mine has on loan, one of the old steam "Lokies," that operated in the area.Made in 1920. (Not operatable) I remember on our tour in Slovakia, we rode on a steam train. GREAT! I love them.
                                    Dave Kuchta