Re: For Miner Dave

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      I think what you are describing was also called a "Breaker Boy". I believe coal was passed down a chute while boys with hammers
      on either side broke up the large pieces of coal into smaller bits that were more useable. I found this photo at the Library of Congress:

      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?detr:4:./temp/~ammem_uWbB::@@@mdb=manz,eaa,aaeo,aaodyssey,hh,gottscho,bbpix,bbc
      ards,magbell,berl,lbcoll,cdn,cic,cwnyhs,cwar,consrvbib,coolbib,coplandbib,curt,dag,fsaall,aep,fine,fmuever,dcm,cmns,cowellbib,toddbi
      b,lomaxbib,ngp,gottlieb,alad,mcc,mymhiwebib,aipn,afcwip,fawbib,omhbib,pan,vv,wpapos,psbib,pin,presp,qlt,ncr,mesnbib,denn,runyon,
      wtc,detr,upboverbib,varstg,horyd,hawp,suffrg,awh,awhbib,wright

      I believe there is an anthricite mine museum near Scraton which might have more information.
      Colin

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
      > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
      > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
      >
      > Curt B.
    • David
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        Hi: Here is a chapter from my book on Breaker Boys. Enjoy! No.6 was the
        colliery at the eastern end of Lansford. Before my father died, he worked
        there.
        Dave

        ONCE A MAN, TWICE A BOY

        When most of the early immigrants came to America, they didn't understand
        nor speak English. One of the first jobs they received was in the coal
        breakers, picking slate, rock, wood or any other debris that came out of
        the mines. Of course, if they were miners in the old country, they usually
        were offered jobs in the mine.
        In modern times, these coal breakers are now called coal preparation plants.

        Many children of the immigrants also ended up working in these coal chutes.
        If a miner was killed, his son would usually be offered a job working as a
        "breaker boy." The first breakers built were, " Dry Breakers." They used no
        water until the late 1860's. These were tall wooden structures and were
        very dusty and noisy when they operated.

        When the coal was brought out of the mines, it was transferred to the top
        of the breaker through some form of tipple. The mine cars had an end that
        opened up and when the coal car was hoisted to the top of the breaker, it
        was tipped in such a position that the load of coal dumped out the end of
        the car down into various chutes. Also in the breakers were crushers and
        screens. The crushers were to break the larger lumps of coal into smaller
        sizes and then the screens separated the various sizes of coal for market.

        When all this large machinery worked the whole building shook and made all
        types of loud noises. About 1920, most of the old wooden breakers were
        either burned or tore down and replaced with steel and concrete buildings.
        These were still huge in comparison to today's coal preparation plants.

        Most of the early "slate pickers, or breaker boys," were from 7 to 14 years
        of age. In the same case, they also had adults that did these same jobs. In
        the No. 9 breaker in Lansford, PA, it had about 50 slate pickers and half
        were adult and half were children. In 1914, the Federal Government passed
        the Child Labor Laws, and after that you had to be at least 14 years old to
        do any breaker or mine work. Of course, most of the later breakers were
        more automated and didn't need slate pickers anymore.

        The early "Slate Pickers," sat on a wooden plank that faced what seemed to
        be an endless stream of coal passing in front of them or under the plank
        that was their seat.

        They sat there for hours, bent over, removing the impurities that were
        mixed in with the coal. It was a monotonous, backbreaking job and was very
        painful on their fingers. Most of the younger kids couldn't afford to buy
        gloves and if they did, the sharp anthracite coal would shred the material
        in a very short time.

        The breaker boss stood over them all day long. He usually carried some type
        of stick or cane, which he wouldn't hesitate to use on the young "slate
        pickers." He also would give them a good poke with the cane, if they left
        too much slate or rock pass by. If they dozed off, he would give them a jab
        to bring them back to reality. If he got any resistance from the young lads
        he would shake it at them vigorously to settle them down. Of course, if
        they gave him too much trouble he just fired them on the spot.
        Being this money helped support his father's income, none of the young
        workers wanted to lose this job. It certainly wasn't the best of jobs, but
        was a job never the less.

        In the mid 1800s, the "breaker boys," got paid five cents an hour. They
        usually worked a 10hour shift. In 1913, mine labors received 10 cents an
        hour. As they picked out the slate, rock or wood that came down the chutes,
        the impurities would be thrown into a special chute. These impurities then
        went down into a hopper or loading bin where they were then loaded into
        wagons, or in later times, mine cars and taken out to a rock or culm bank
        where it was disposed of. In the early days, the dust and noise was
        certainly detrimental to their health. Through the years some of the young
        workers, through carelessness, got caught in pulleys, gears or other mechanism.

        In one state mine inspector's report it mentioned that the "coal breaker,"
        stopped for a minor repair job and in the process the slate pickers started
        horse playing and one of the boys threw one of the other worker's cap down
        one of the chutes. While retrieving it, the machinery started up and the
        breaker boy was caught and crushed in some of the gears.

        Some of the breaker boys were always looking for ways to get even with the
        breaker bosses and pulled off many pranks on them. But, it had to be done
        in a very clever fashion, because if he caught anyone doing them, they
        would be fired. No, if, ands or buts! All the boys looked forward to the
        day that they would be able to get jobs working inside the mines. The first
        jobs inside the mine were usually a door tender or mule driver. Later they
        moved up to mine labor and then eventually the most sought after job, that
        of miner.

        If the miner became crippled, or too old to do his job, many times he
        returned back into the breaker and once again, became a "Breaker Boy."
        Hence: "Once a man, twice a boy."

        Breaker Boys

        Breaker Boys

        At 02:36 PM 12/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
        >as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
        >
        >Curt B.

      • David
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
          No they didn't break up the lumps of coal. They picked out the rock, slate
          and wood. They used regular crushers and screens to break and separate the
          coal to various sizes.
          It was long, boring work. In 1850 they worked 10 hours a day and got paid 5
          cents an hour. In 1913, wages doubled to 10 cents an hour. Yes, 63 years it
          took to go from five to ten cents. Dave Kuchta

          At 06:22 PM 12/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          >I think what you are describing was also called a "Breaker Boy". I
          >believe coal was passed down a chute while boys with hammers
          >on either side broke up the large pieces of coal into smaller bits that
          >were more useable. I found this photo at the Library of Congress:
          >
          >http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?detr:4:./temp/~ammem_uWbB::@@@mdb=manz,eaa,aaeo,aaodyssey,hh,gottscho,bbpix,bbc
          >ards,magbell,berl,lbcoll,cdn,cic,cwnyhs,cwar,consrvbib,coolbib,coplandbib,curt,dag,fsaall,aep,fine,fmuever,dcm,cmns,cowellbib,toddbi
          >b,lomaxbib,ngp,gottlieb,alad,mcc,mymhiwebib,aipn,afcwip,fawbib,omhbib,pan,vv,wpapos,psbib,pin,presp,qlt,ncr,mesnbib,denn,runyon,
          >wtc,detr,upboverbib,varstg,horyd,hawp,suffrg,awh,awhbib,wright
          >
          >I believe there is an anthricite mine museum near Scraton which might have
          >more information.
          >Colin
          >
          >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
          > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
          > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
          > >
          > > Curt B.

        • David
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
            Curt: Reading your message once again, I'm reading it in another manner.
            The slate picker I explained. Now, as far as "Coal Cracker," goes, there is
            no such job in the mines or breaker. This was a term referring to all
            people who worked for the coal industry and for all the people who lived in
            coal mining communities. It was intended to be derogatory. Like, "Like he
            is a lousy coal cracker." But now it has changed. We "Coal Crackers," are
            proud of this heritage and it is an honor to be called such a name.
            So, when you father's cousin was referred to as a coal cracker, it was
            because he worked for a coal industry.
            Dave

            At 02:36 PM 12/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            >My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
            >as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
            >
            >Curt B.

          • raybravo2000
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
              My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or Curtis's
              father. I didn't mean to butt in.
              Colin

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
              > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
              > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
              >
              > Curt B.
            • Curtis Bochanyin
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                raybravo,

                No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.

                By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?

                Curt B,

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                wrote:
                > My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this
                Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                Curtis's
                > father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                > Colin
                >
                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin"
                <curtb@a...> wrote:
                > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in
                Lansford
                > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
                > >
                > > Curt B.
              • raybravo2000
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                  Ahoj,

                  My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara' L'ubovna.
                  I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                  reach him at:
                  http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/

                  Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my grandfather
                  in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.

                  zBohom,

                  wrote:
                  > raybravo,
                  >
                  > No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                  >
                  > By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                  > was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                  >
                  > Curt B,
                  >
                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this
                  > Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                  > Curtis's
                  > > father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                  > > Colin
                  > >
                  > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin"
                  > <curtb@a...> wrote:
                  > > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in
                  > Lansford
                  > > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
                  > > >
                  > > > Curt B.
                • David
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Hey, Hey, No problem!
                    Dave Kuchta or Miner Dave. Sometimes Humble Dave

                    At 09:01 PM 12/2/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                    >My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this Group. I
                    >thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or Curtis's
                    >father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                    >Colin
                    >
                    >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
                    > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
                    > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
                    > >
                    > > Curt B.

                  • Curtis Bochanyin
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                      Colin,
                      The Varga family I am related to came from Matasovce in Zemplin
                      County. So I guess they are not the same.

                      I have been in Stara Lubovna and Jakubany though...

                      wrote:
                      > Ahoj,
                      >
                      > My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara'
                      L'ubovna.
                      > I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You
                      can
                      > reach him at:
                      > http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                      >
                      > Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my
                      grandfather
                      > in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                      >
                      > zBohom,
                      > Colin

                    • Lil Junas
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                        There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
                        grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
                        in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
                        lil

                        >Ahoj,
                        >
                        >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara' L'ubovna.
                        >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                        >reach him at:
                        >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                        >
                        >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my grandfather
                        >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                        >
                        >zBohom,
                        >Colin
                        >
                        >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
                        >wrote:
                        >> raybravo,
                        >>
                        >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                        >>
                        >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                        >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                        >>
                        >> Curt B,
                        >>
                        >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                        >> wrote:
                        >> > My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this
                        >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                        >> Curtis's
                        >> > father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                        >> > Colin
                        >> >
                        >> > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin"
                        >> Lansford

                        LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
                        For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
                        http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
                        "To be nobody but myself."
                      • Tom Flynn
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                          On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Lil Junas wrote:
                          > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
                          > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
                          > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
                          > lil
                          >

                          > >Ahoj,
                          > >
                          > >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara' L'ubovna.
                          > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                          > >reach him at:
                          > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                          > >
                          > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my grandfather
                          > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                          > >
                          > >zBohom,
                          > >Colin
                          > >
                          > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
                          > >wrote:
                          > >> raybravo,
                          > >>
                          > >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                          > >>
                          > >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                          > >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                          > >>
                          > >> Curt B,
                          > >>
                          > >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                          > >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                          > >> Curtis's

                          > >> Lansford

                          Indeed, my mother's family is from Zemplinska Teplica in Eastern Slovakia,
                          though not many from her family emigrated to the US (just 2 people).
                          We had a "Varga" relative staying with them for 3 months this summer here
                          in the US (with his girlfriend), he was working a summer job between 4th
                          and 5th years of college (guess their equivalent to "bachelors" degree
                          program is 5 years long (business school), maybe ours will be extended
                          from 4 years also to cover the extra courses now needed?
                          ---------
                          Tom Flynn
                          I speak only for myself
                        • raybravo2000
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                            Yes, while I was in Slovakia I saw a Varga Construction Co., a Varga running
                            for office, and I even saw a jeans store called "Colin". Here in Manayunk
                            (Philly) there were four Vargas when I moved here. Also I found a "Collin
                            Varga" in the Yukon and I gotta call this guy at some point.
                            Colin

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lil Junas <lil.junas@w...> wrote:
                            > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
                            > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
                            > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
                            > lil
                            >

                            > >Ahoj,
                            > >
                            > >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara'
                            L'ubovna.
                            > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                            > >reach him at:
                            > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                            > >
                            > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my
                            grandfather
                            > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                            > >
                            > >zBohom,
                            > >Colin
                            > >
                            > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
                            > >wrote:
                            > >> raybravo,
                            > >>
                            > >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                            > >>
                            > >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                            > >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                            > >>
                            > >> Curt B,
                            > >>
                            > >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                            > >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                            > >> Curtis's

                            > >> Lansford

                            > LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
                            > For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
                            > http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
                            > "To be nobody but myself."
                          • Mary Flynn
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 19, 2004
                              ---mvflynn88@... writes:
                              My Varga cousins live in Zemplinska Teplica and
                              Kosice.My Father was Andrew Varga who was born in 1899
                              in Kerestur(now Zemplinska Teplica), Austo-Hungary(now
                              Slovak Republic. He married my mother, Johanna
                              Faragova in 1922 and immigrated to Pennsylvania the
                              next year where he lived until 1966. Are there any
                              other Varga's who lived in Zemplinska Teplica
                              (Kerestur) and may be ancestors of members of
                              Slovak-World?
                              Mary Varga Flynn

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 19, 2004
                                My Varga cousins live in Male Ozorovce, which is just 2 villages down
                                the road from Zemplinska Teplica. My mom's 1st cousin married Jan Varga
                                (also their younger son's name). Jan's younger brother came to Chicago
                                sometime after WWII. Irony: a woman from Z. Teplica married Jan's
                                other son and became a Varga. I remember hearing the name Kerestur in
                                my parents' reminiscences when I was a kid.

                                Helen

                                >>> mvflynn88@... 7/19/2004 2:58:58 PM >>>

                                raybravo2000 <colinv@...> wrote:
                                > Yes, while I was in Slovakia I saw a Varga
                                > Construction Co., a Varga running
                                > for office, and I even saw a jeans store called
                                > "Colin". Here in Manayunk
                                > (Philly) there were four Vargas when I moved here.
                                > Also I found a "Collin
                                > Varga" in the Yukon and I gotta call this guy at
                                > some point.
                                > Colin
                                >
                                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lil Junas
                                > <lil.junas@w...> wrote:
                                > > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern
                                > Slovakia. My maternal
                                > > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the
                                > USA), came to America
                                > > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern
                                > Slovakia.
                                > > lil
                                > >

                                > > >Ahoj,
                                > > >
                                > > >My Varga family comes from a village called
                                > Jakubany near Stara'
                                > L'ubovna.
                                > > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is,
                                > Ron Cieslak. You can
                                > > >reach him at:
                                > > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                                > > >
                                > > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came
                                > over before my
                                > grandfather
                                > > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                                > > >
                                > > >zBohom,
                                > > >Colin
                                > > >
                                > > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis
                                > Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>

                                > everyone's perspective.

                                > married Jan Varga who
                                > Are we cousins?

                                > "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                                > was a some one in this
                                > father's cousin or

                                > Bochanyin"
                                > number 6 mine in
                                > kind of work did he do?

                                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                > >

                                > > LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College.
                                > Waverly, Iowa 50677
                                > > For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide,
                                > check
                                > > http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
                                > > "To be nobody but myself."

                              • Robert Pollak
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                                  Dave,

                                  I was at the Family History Center today viewing a film from Krasnohorske Podhradie, Slovakia and I came across a number of entries with the name Kuchta. I don't know if these are your ancestors or not but I thought I would let you know.

                                  Bob Pollak

                                • David
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                                    Hi: Thank you for thinking about me. There are a few Kuchtas in Western Slovakia, and most if not all that were related to me are dead, except one cousin who was a Kuchta and then married. So none of her children are Kuchtas. Now, in Eastern Slovakia there are many live Kuchtas but none are related to me. Amazing, but true.
                                    Dave
                                    I was at the Family History Center today viewing a film from Krasnohorske Podhradie, Slovakia and I came across a number of entries with the name Kuchta. I don't know if these are your ancestors or not but I thought I would let you know.

                                    Bob Pollak

                                  • Paul Wolsko
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                                      David,

                                      Noticed today an obit in the local papers for a Joseph A. Kuchta of Princeton. Is this a relative?

                                      Hope this finds you well!

                                      Paul Wolsko
                                      Hopatcong, New Jersey

                                    • David
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 3, 2009
                                        Hello Paul: Thanks for thinking about me. No, he is not a relation. I have a cold that is probably an allergy that won't go away. I did get a blast of the upper respiratory infection along with it. Other wise, I'm in good health. I'm reading and keeping in touch with Slovak World. Taking it all in, but just keeping in the wings. For all you Slovak Steam Engine buffs, No. 9 Mine has on loan, one of the old steam "Lokies," that operated in the area.Made in 1920. (Not operatable) I remember on our tour in Slovakia, we rode on a steam train. GREAT! I love them.
                                        Dave Kuchta