For Miner Dave

  • Curtis Bochanyin
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
      as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?

      Curt B.
    • raybravo2000
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        I think what you are describing was also called a "Breaker Boy". I believe coal was passed down a chute while boys with hammers
        on either side broke up the large pieces of coal into smaller bits that were more useable. I found this photo at the Library of Congress:

        http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?detr:4:./temp/~ammem_uWbB::@@@mdb=manz,eaa,aaeo,aaodyssey,hh,gottscho,bbpix,bbc
        ards,magbell,berl,lbcoll,cdn,cic,cwnyhs,cwar,consrvbib,coolbib,coplandbib,curt,dag,fsaall,aep,fine,fmuever,dcm,cmns,cowellbib,toddbi
        b,lomaxbib,ngp,gottlieb,alad,mcc,mymhiwebib,aipn,afcwip,fawbib,omhbib,pan,vv,wpapos,psbib,pin,presp,qlt,ncr,mesnbib,denn,runyon,
        wtc,detr,upboverbib,varstg,horyd,hawp,suffrg,awh,awhbib,wright

        I believe there is an anthricite mine museum near Scraton which might have more information.
        Colin

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
        > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
        > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
        >
        > Curt B.
      • David
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
          Hi: Here is a chapter from my book on Breaker Boys. Enjoy! No.6 was the
          colliery at the eastern end of Lansford. Before my father died, he worked
          there.
          Dave

          ONCE A MAN, TWICE A BOY

          When most of the early immigrants came to America, they didn't understand
          nor speak English. One of the first jobs they received was in the coal
          breakers, picking slate, rock, wood or any other debris that came out of
          the mines. Of course, if they were miners in the old country, they usually
          were offered jobs in the mine.
          In modern times, these coal breakers are now called coal preparation plants.

          Many children of the immigrants also ended up working in these coal chutes.
          If a miner was killed, his son would usually be offered a job working as a
          "breaker boy." The first breakers built were, " Dry Breakers." They used no
          water until the late 1860's. These were tall wooden structures and were
          very dusty and noisy when they operated.

          When the coal was brought out of the mines, it was transferred to the top
          of the breaker through some form of tipple. The mine cars had an end that
          opened up and when the coal car was hoisted to the top of the breaker, it
          was tipped in such a position that the load of coal dumped out the end of
          the car down into various chutes. Also in the breakers were crushers and
          screens. The crushers were to break the larger lumps of coal into smaller
          sizes and then the screens separated the various sizes of coal for market.

          When all this large machinery worked the whole building shook and made all
          types of loud noises. About 1920, most of the old wooden breakers were
          either burned or tore down and replaced with steel and concrete buildings.
          These were still huge in comparison to today's coal preparation plants.

          Most of the early "slate pickers, or breaker boys," were from 7 to 14 years
          of age. In the same case, they also had adults that did these same jobs. In
          the No. 9 breaker in Lansford, PA, it had about 50 slate pickers and half
          were adult and half were children. In 1914, the Federal Government passed
          the Child Labor Laws, and after that you had to be at least 14 years old to
          do any breaker or mine work. Of course, most of the later breakers were
          more automated and didn't need slate pickers anymore.

          The early "Slate Pickers," sat on a wooden plank that faced what seemed to
          be an endless stream of coal passing in front of them or under the plank
          that was their seat.

          They sat there for hours, bent over, removing the impurities that were
          mixed in with the coal. It was a monotonous, backbreaking job and was very
          painful on their fingers. Most of the younger kids couldn't afford to buy
          gloves and if they did, the sharp anthracite coal would shred the material
          in a very short time.

          The breaker boss stood over them all day long. He usually carried some type
          of stick or cane, which he wouldn't hesitate to use on the young "slate
          pickers." He also would give them a good poke with the cane, if they left
          too much slate or rock pass by. If they dozed off, he would give them a jab
          to bring them back to reality. If he got any resistance from the young lads
          he would shake it at them vigorously to settle them down. Of course, if
          they gave him too much trouble he just fired them on the spot.
          Being this money helped support his father's income, none of the young
          workers wanted to lose this job. It certainly wasn't the best of jobs, but
          was a job never the less.

          In the mid 1800s, the "breaker boys," got paid five cents an hour. They
          usually worked a 10hour shift. In 1913, mine labors received 10 cents an
          hour. As they picked out the slate, rock or wood that came down the chutes,
          the impurities would be thrown into a special chute. These impurities then
          went down into a hopper or loading bin where they were then loaded into
          wagons, or in later times, mine cars and taken out to a rock or culm bank
          where it was disposed of. In the early days, the dust and noise was
          certainly detrimental to their health. Through the years some of the young
          workers, through carelessness, got caught in pulleys, gears or other mechanism.

          In one state mine inspector's report it mentioned that the "coal breaker,"
          stopped for a minor repair job and in the process the slate pickers started
          horse playing and one of the boys threw one of the other worker's cap down
          one of the chutes. While retrieving it, the machinery started up and the
          breaker boy was caught and crushed in some of the gears.

          Some of the breaker boys were always looking for ways to get even with the
          breaker bosses and pulled off many pranks on them. But, it had to be done
          in a very clever fashion, because if he caught anyone doing them, they
          would be fired. No, if, ands or buts! All the boys looked forward to the
          day that they would be able to get jobs working inside the mines. The first
          jobs inside the mine were usually a door tender or mule driver. Later they
          moved up to mine labor and then eventually the most sought after job, that
          of miner.

          If the miner became crippled, or too old to do his job, many times he
          returned back into the breaker and once again, became a "Breaker Boy."
          Hence: "Once a man, twice a boy."

          Breaker Boys

          Breaker Boys

          At 02:36 PM 12/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          >My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
          >as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
          >
          >Curt B.

        • David
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
            No they didn't break up the lumps of coal. They picked out the rock, slate
            and wood. They used regular crushers and screens to break and separate the
            coal to various sizes.
            It was long, boring work. In 1850 they worked 10 hours a day and got paid 5
            cents an hour. In 1913, wages doubled to 10 cents an hour. Yes, 63 years it
            took to go from five to ten cents. Dave Kuchta

            At 06:22 PM 12/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            >I think what you are describing was also called a "Breaker Boy". I
            >believe coal was passed down a chute while boys with hammers
            >on either side broke up the large pieces of coal into smaller bits that
            >were more useable. I found this photo at the Library of Congress:
            >
            >http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?detr:4:./temp/~ammem_uWbB::@@@mdb=manz,eaa,aaeo,aaodyssey,hh,gottscho,bbpix,bbc
            >ards,magbell,berl,lbcoll,cdn,cic,cwnyhs,cwar,consrvbib,coolbib,coplandbib,curt,dag,fsaall,aep,fine,fmuever,dcm,cmns,cowellbib,toddbi
            >b,lomaxbib,ngp,gottlieb,alad,mcc,mymhiwebib,aipn,afcwip,fawbib,omhbib,pan,vv,wpapos,psbib,pin,presp,qlt,ncr,mesnbib,denn,runyon,
            >wtc,detr,upboverbib,varstg,horyd,hawp,suffrg,awh,awhbib,wright
            >
            >I believe there is an anthricite mine museum near Scraton which might have
            >more information.
            >Colin
            >
            >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
            > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
            > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
            > >
            > > Curt B.

          • David
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
              Curt: Reading your message once again, I'm reading it in another manner.
              The slate picker I explained. Now, as far as "Coal Cracker," goes, there is
              no such job in the mines or breaker. This was a term referring to all
              people who worked for the coal industry and for all the people who lived in
              coal mining communities. It was intended to be derogatory. Like, "Like he
              is a lousy coal cracker." But now it has changed. We "Coal Crackers," are
              proud of this heritage and it is an honor to be called such a name.
              So, when you father's cousin was referred to as a coal cracker, it was
              because he worked for a coal industry.
              Dave

              At 02:36 PM 12/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
              >My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
              >as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
              >
              >Curt B.

            • raybravo2000
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or Curtis's
                father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                Colin

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
                > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
                > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
                >
                > Curt B.
              • Curtis Bochanyin
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                  raybravo,

                  No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.

                  By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                  was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?

                  Curt B,

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                  wrote:
                  > My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this
                  Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                  Curtis's
                  > father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                  > Colin
                  >
                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin"
                  <curtb@a...> wrote:
                  > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in
                  Lansford
                  > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
                  > >
                  > > Curt B.
                • raybravo2000
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Ahoj,

                    My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara' L'ubovna.
                    I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                    reach him at:
                    http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/

                    Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my grandfather
                    in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.

                    zBohom,

                    wrote:
                    > raybravo,
                    >
                    > No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                    >
                    > By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                    > was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                    >
                    > Curt B,
                    >
                    > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this
                    > Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                    > Curtis's
                    > > father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                    > > Colin
                    > >
                    > > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin"
                    > <curtb@a...> wrote:
                    > > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in
                    > Lansford
                    > > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
                    > > >
                    > > > Curt B.
                  • David
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 2, 2003
                      Hey, Hey, No problem!
                      Dave Kuchta or Miner Dave. Sometimes Humble Dave

                      At 09:01 PM 12/2/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                      >My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this Group. I
                      >thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or Curtis's
                      >father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                      >Colin
                      >
                      >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...> wrote:
                      > > My Father's cousin worked as a boy at the number 6 mine in Lansford
                      > > as a slate picker and coal cracker. What kind of work did he do?
                      > >
                      > > Curt B.

                    • Curtis Bochanyin
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                        Colin,
                        The Varga family I am related to came from Matasovce in Zemplin
                        County. So I guess they are not the same.

                        I have been in Stara Lubovna and Jakubany though...

                        wrote:
                        > Ahoj,
                        >
                        > My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara'
                        L'ubovna.
                        > I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You
                        can
                        > reach him at:
                        > http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                        >
                        > Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my
                        grandfather
                        > in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                        >
                        > zBohom,
                        > Colin

                      • Lil Junas
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                          There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
                          grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
                          in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
                          lil

                          >Ahoj,
                          >
                          >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara' L'ubovna.
                          >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                          >reach him at:
                          >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                          >
                          >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my grandfather
                          >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                          >
                          >zBohom,
                          >Colin
                          >
                          >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
                          >wrote:
                          >> raybravo,
                          >>
                          >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                          >>
                          >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                          >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                          >>
                          >> Curt B,
                          >>
                          >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                          >> wrote:
                          >> > My apologies, I didn't realize Miner Dave was a some one in this
                          >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                          >> Curtis's
                          >> > father. I didn't mean to butt in.
                          >> > Colin
                          >> >
                          >> > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin"
                          >> Lansford

                          LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
                          For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
                          http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
                          "To be nobody but myself."
                        • Tom Flynn
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                            On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Lil Junas wrote:
                            > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
                            > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
                            > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
                            > lil
                            >

                            > >Ahoj,
                            > >
                            > >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara' L'ubovna.
                            > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                            > >reach him at:
                            > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                            > >
                            > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my grandfather
                            > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                            > >
                            > >zBohom,
                            > >Colin
                            > >
                            > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
                            > >wrote:
                            > >> raybravo,
                            > >>
                            > >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                            > >>
                            > >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                            > >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                            > >>
                            > >> Curt B,
                            > >>
                            > >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                            > >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                            > >> Curtis's

                            > >> Lansford

                            Indeed, my mother's family is from Zemplinska Teplica in Eastern Slovakia,
                            though not many from her family emigrated to the US (just 2 people).
                            We had a "Varga" relative staying with them for 3 months this summer here
                            in the US (with his girlfriend), he was working a summer job between 4th
                            and 5th years of college (guess their equivalent to "bachelors" degree
                            program is 5 years long (business school), maybe ours will be extended
                            from 4 years also to cover the extra courses now needed?
                            ---------
                            Tom Flynn
                            I speak only for myself
                          • raybravo2000
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 3, 2003
                              Yes, while I was in Slovakia I saw a Varga Construction Co., a Varga running
                              for office, and I even saw a jeans store called "Colin". Here in Manayunk
                              (Philly) there were four Vargas when I moved here. Also I found a "Collin
                              Varga" in the Yukon and I gotta call this guy at some point.
                              Colin

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lil Junas <lil.junas@w...> wrote:
                              > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern Slovakia. My maternal
                              > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the USA), came to America
                              > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern Slovakia.
                              > lil
                              >

                              > >Ahoj,
                              > >
                              > >My Varga family comes from a village called Jakubany near Stara'
                              L'ubovna.
                              > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is, Ron Cieslak. You can
                              > >reach him at:
                              > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                              > >
                              > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came over before my
                              grandfather
                              > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                              > >
                              > >zBohom,
                              > >Colin
                              > >
                              > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>
                              > >wrote:
                              > >> raybravo,
                              > >>
                              > >> No apologies necessary, we try to get everyone's perspective.
                              > >>
                              > >> By the way, my dad's cousin had a sister who married Jan Varga who
                              > >> was also a miner at no. 6 mine in Lansford. Are we cousins?
                              > >>
                              > >> Curt B,
                              > >>
                              > >> --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                              > >> Group. I thought Miner Dave was Curtis's father's cousin or
                              > >> Curtis's

                              > >> Lansford

                              > LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College. Waverly, Iowa 50677
                              > For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide, check
                              > http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
                              > "To be nobody but myself."
                            • Mary Flynn
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 19, 2004
                                ---mvflynn88@... writes:
                                My Varga cousins live in Zemplinska Teplica and
                                Kosice.My Father was Andrew Varga who was born in 1899
                                in Kerestur(now Zemplinska Teplica), Austo-Hungary(now
                                Slovak Republic. He married my mother, Johanna
                                Faragova in 1922 and immigrated to Pennsylvania the
                                next year where he lived until 1966. Are there any
                                other Varga's who lived in Zemplinska Teplica
                                (Kerestur) and may be ancestors of members of
                                Slovak-World?
                                Mary Varga Flynn

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 19, 2004
                                  My Varga cousins live in Male Ozorovce, which is just 2 villages down
                                  the road from Zemplinska Teplica. My mom's 1st cousin married Jan Varga
                                  (also their younger son's name). Jan's younger brother came to Chicago
                                  sometime after WWII. Irony: a woman from Z. Teplica married Jan's
                                  other son and became a Varga. I remember hearing the name Kerestur in
                                  my parents' reminiscences when I was a kid.

                                  Helen

                                  >>> mvflynn88@... 7/19/2004 2:58:58 PM >>>

                                  raybravo2000 <colinv@...> wrote:
                                  > Yes, while I was in Slovakia I saw a Varga
                                  > Construction Co., a Varga running
                                  > for office, and I even saw a jeans store called
                                  > "Colin". Here in Manayunk
                                  > (Philly) there were four Vargas when I moved here.
                                  > Also I found a "Collin
                                  > Varga" in the Yukon and I gotta call this guy at
                                  > some point.
                                  > Colin
                                  >
                                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Lil Junas
                                  > <lil.junas@w...> wrote:
                                  > > There are MANY Vargas, especially in eastern
                                  > Slovakia. My maternal
                                  > > grandfather, Michael Varga (became Wargo in the
                                  > USA), came to America
                                  > > in the 1880s from Megas (now Medzianky) in eastern
                                  > Slovakia.
                                  > > lil
                                  > >

                                  > > >Ahoj,
                                  > > >
                                  > > >My Varga family comes from a village called
                                  > Jakubany near Stara'
                                  > L'ubovna.
                                  > > >I'm not a genealogist but I know someone who is,
                                  > Ron Cieslak. You can
                                  > > >reach him at:
                                  > > >http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Personally I don't know of any Vargas who came
                                  > over before my
                                  > grandfather
                                  > > >in 1910. But there's lots I don't know.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >zBohom,
                                  > > >Colin
                                  > > >
                                  > > >--- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis
                                  > Bochanyin" <curtb@a...>

                                  > everyone's perspective.

                                  > married Jan Varga who
                                  > Are we cousins?

                                  > "raybravo2000" <colinv@e...>
                                  > was a some one in this
                                  > father's cousin or

                                  > Bochanyin"
                                  > number 6 mine in
                                  > kind of work did he do?

                                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                  > >

                                  > > LIL JUNAS. Comm Arts Dept. Wartburg College.
                                  > Waverly, Iowa 50677
                                  > > For facts about my book, MY SLOVAKIA," and guide,
                                  > check
                                  > > http://members.tripod.com/~Junas
                                  > > "To be nobody but myself."

                                • Robert Pollak
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                                    Dave,

                                    I was at the Family History Center today viewing a film from Krasnohorske Podhradie, Slovakia and I came across a number of entries with the name Kuchta. I don't know if these are your ancestors or not but I thought I would let you know.

                                    Bob Pollak

                                  • David
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                                      Hi: Thank you for thinking about me. There are a few Kuchtas in Western Slovakia, and most if not all that were related to me are dead, except one cousin who was a Kuchta and then married. So none of her children are Kuchtas. Now, in Eastern Slovakia there are many live Kuchtas but none are related to me. Amazing, but true.
                                      Dave
                                      I was at the Family History Center today viewing a film from Krasnohorske Podhradie, Slovakia and I came across a number of entries with the name Kuchta. I don't know if these are your ancestors or not but I thought I would let you know.

                                      Bob Pollak

                                    • Paul Wolsko
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                                        David,

                                        Noticed today an obit in the local papers for a Joseph A. Kuchta of Princeton. Is this a relative?

                                        Hope this finds you well!

                                        Paul Wolsko
                                        Hopatcong, New Jersey

                                      • David
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 3, 2009
                                          Hello Paul: Thanks for thinking about me. No, he is not a relation. I have a cold that is probably an allergy that won't go away. I did get a blast of the upper respiratory infection along with it. Other wise, I'm in good health. I'm reading and keeping in touch with Slovak World. Taking it all in, but just keeping in the wings. For all you Slovak Steam Engine buffs, No. 9 Mine has on loan, one of the old steam "Lokies," that operated in the area.Made in 1920. (Not operatable) I remember on our tour in Slovakia, we rode on a steam train. GREAT! I love them.
                                          Dave Kuchta