Sneaky

  • David
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hi: Just about when I had all this spam, porno, prescription junk filtered
      out, some dirty rat, figured how to make me open the message. In the
      subject line he put "Administrator." I thought this was my ISP
      administrator sending me something important. Some of these jackasses must
      work overtime in trying to outsmart the public. Well, back to the drawing
      board.
      Dave
    • Paul J. Wolsko
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
        Don't open ANYTHING that "looks official". It can't be all THAT important
        if it's coming to you via email. I don't seem to get any porno, but if I
        responded to every offer to lengthen my "manhood", and it worked, I'd be
        able to reel it out from here to Pittsburgh.

        Paul

        > Hi: Just about when I had all this spam, porno, prescription junk filtered
        > out, some dirty rat, figured how to make me open the message. In the
        > subject line he put "Administrator." I thought this was my ISP
        > administrator sending me something important. Some of these jackasses must
        > work overtime in trying to outsmart the public. Well, back to the drawing
        > board.
        > Dave
      • David
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
          Bill: So close, but so far. To think I almost was on the verge of becoming
          a millionaire.
          I almost beat them, but the battle isn't done. I shall not retreat to the
          trenches. I will stand fast and face the dirty bastards and fight them
          right to the very end. I am saying this, because I saw were the government
          is stepping up to the plate and is "supposedly," going to make them be a
          little more honest and also say in the subject line that it is an ADV. Of
          course, we will still have to wait for all the junk to down load before we
          can read the subject line. I did remove better then 95percent of the junk
          mail through my filters.
          Dave

          At 07:01 PM 12/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
          >I was going to be quite impressed if as you said in a prior email, you had
          >conquered spam. If that is true, you could sell it and would be a
          >millionaire several fold. There are dozens of companies and thousands of
          >software developers all searching for that holy grail. There are also
          >thousands of police detectives on the same trail, and yet, they are lucky if
          >they have the time to catch one out of 10,000 in a recent report. Over 60%
          >of all worldwide email traffic is now spam. (I receive over 120 spam
          >messages per DAY, up from about 10 a day 12 months ago.) And of course, any
          >mail "header" including email address can be forged with nary a trace.
          >

          >______________
          >Bill Tarkulich

        • Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
              Good luck to you. I had removed 100% of my junk through my filters and two
              commercial versions running in tandem, but that lasted about two days.
              Legislations just won't do it. The issue is that many of these messages are
              coming from rogue servers in Nigeria, Lithuania, Russia, Korea, and places
              where legislation, even international law will have little effect. They
              don't even have to use an ISP, just set up their own server, seridipitously
              register it and voila, in business. Take it down after a couple of days,
              reconfigure it and you're a new man (read: server.)
              The internet structure is frankly too weak (read: trusting) in it's present
              incarnation.

              Efforts are underway to make trustworthy computing a lynchpin of next
              generation communications networking software. Don't hold your breath, it
              will be several more years before you will see its effects. It's like
              trying to redesign a highway once you've let 20 million cars a day access
              it. You can't just stop all the cars and ask people to buy a new one.

              I hope you make a million. When you do, I'll be first in line... :) Keep
              tryin'....

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
                I hate to even think about what you have written. I know it is true, and it
                could become a big problem. In fact, it's amazing that terrorists and third
                world countries that hate America aren't on the band wagon, trying to cause
                interruptions and humongous back loads of messages. I wonder if they could
                jam the email system to a point of collapse?
                Dave

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
                  David,

                  We have already had several "traffic jams" on the internet, where millions
                  of messages ("mail storms") are sent at the same time by innocent users,
                  having had their PC's taken over by "zombies" which quitely invade your
                  machines. In some cases, it has taken the worldwide internet as long as 48
                  hours to resolve. I had a zombie take over my computer once, even with
                  antivirus, spam, firewalls and so on. Fortunately I saw it happen. It took
                  over my keyboard, mouse and screen. It started running programs and sending
                  stuff over the internet. My first reaction was to pull the physical plug on
                  the internet. This saved me. It still took me hours to clean up.

                  In my Fortune-50 company, we have found it necessary on occassion to
                  disconnect the 140,000 employee email system from the internet for as long
                  as 24 hours. Certainly this cost us millions of dollars.

                  Believe me, there are already internet terrorists trying their darndest.
                  More and more viruses are coming from offshore and are sophisticated enough
                  that they required funding to develop. So when it does crash again, and it
                  will, make sure you have a backup of everything electronic that is near and
                  dear to you.

                  If other readers have not yet been persuaded to keep their antivirus
                  definitions up to date and not to open any unknown mail, perhaps this will.

                  Bill Tarkulich