Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak-Iraq Question

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2003
      > When the conflict started, Slovakia sent biological and chemical

      Yes, Noreen, they've been replaced by an engineering unit, currently 82
      troops (of the 85 approved by Parliament). Relative to Slovakia's size,
      that's about the equivalent of 4,500 troops dispatched abroad by the U.S.
      They conduct minesweeping operations. Along with Polish, Spanish, and
      other non-US, non-British troops, they're in the South-Central Sector
      under Polish command.

      Early last week, Bratislava announced that another 30-member patrol unit
      should be sent to Iraq in February to protect the Slovak engineers.

      Slovakia has about 850 soldiers in a variety of international
      military/peacekeeping missions in foreign countries, including Afghanistan
      -- the equivalent of about 44,000 troops sent overseas by the U.S.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • krejc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
        Martin,
        Thanks for the information. I had no idea that Slovakia was giving this
        amount of help. And considering the perspective you put the figures in, it is
        quite a generous amount of assistance.
        Noreen

      • Linn4@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
          Martin,
          Thank you for the information in answer to my question. I had read something
          early on about Slovakia's contribution but was unsure the scope. Amazing
          that a country the size of WV would be able to contribute so much.
          Merle Linn