coupla websites of interest

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2003
      I came across a couple of websites that listmembers might find interesting.

      This first is the on-line Encyclopedia of 1848 Revolutions. It has an
      introduction and a large number of papers by various authors/scholars on
      many different aspects of 1848 ("year of revolutions"). I noticed the
      following papers: Claims of the Slovak Nation, Congress of the Slavs in
      Prague, Prague June Uprising, Prague Upheavals of 1848, Slovak Peasant
      Revolt, Slovak Newspapers. http://www.ohiou.edu/~Chastain/index.htm I
      found this while trying to find info on the potato plague in Europe (same
      time period), but most info seems to focus on Ireland, even though it
      affected Europe also.

      While putting away some periodicals, I glanced through a 3-year-old issue
      of Rocenka. It has an article on Czech/Slovak internet radio and TV
      stations. The most useful URL they gave is probably http://www.comfm.com ;
      On the home page, click on "Live TV" (in the upper middle part of the
      homepage). This will bring up a page listing TV stations by country; click
      on Europe, and you'll go to a page that lists European countries; click on
      Slovakia, and choose a station/program! Practice your Slovak--easier than
      listening to BBC in Slovak, because they don't speak so damn fast, and
      since it's video as well as audio, you can pick up a little bit from body
      language etc.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2003
        You want to read on Slovak History in ENGLISH??

        Then this is the book for you.

        US$79.95 all inclusive.

        Only 5 books available.
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/lexicon.htm

        Christmas shopping at:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Christmas/christmas_home.htm

        Reserve by email and then mail your personal check to:

        Vladimir Linder
        3804 Yale St.
        Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6 CANADA

        SLOVAK HISTORY
        CHRONOLOGY&LEXICON

        Publisher: SPN (Slovak Republic2002)
        This book is in English
        The book (350 pages) is divided into two sections.
        The first section, the calendar, presents Slovak history from the first
        evidence about human beings on Slovak territory up to the events that took
        place in 1998 with notations summarizing important historical events and
        phenomena.
        The second section is an encyclopedic dictionary with three hundred
        alphabetically arranged entries characterizing the most important concepts,
        institutions, and events. It includes genealogical tables of the longest
        reigning dynasties on the Hungarian throne, a list of all rulers and
        presidents of states to which the lands of Slovakia belonged (Great
        Moravia, the Kingdom of Hungary, Austria, Czechoslovakia and Slovakia).
        Six historians from Bratislava prepared this chronology of Slovak history
        (J. Bartl, V. Segeš, V. i aj, D. Škvarna-main author, R. Letz and M. Kohútová).
        It is said that the way to the knowledge of the present leads through a
        knowledge of the past. Therefore, this book can be recommended to all
        readers, who are interested in the Slovak history as well as to those, who
        are involved in genealogical research.
        We can only welcome this book trying to fill the gap because until now,
        Slovak history was not sufficiently covered and to a very limited extent in
        the English language.

        Vladimir Linder

        I do Genealogical research, Ancsestral Village Videos and Ancestral Village
        Photography in Slovakia.

        More information on:
        Genealogy:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
        Ancestral Village Videos:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
        Ancestral Village Photography:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm

        Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$30.00 per page

        Next Genealogical, Ancestral Village Videos and Photography trip starts on
        MARCH 2004

        To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
        My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-907-297-508

        Email: vlinder49@...

        Contact me for more details
        Vladimir Linder
        3804 Yale Street
        Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
        Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616