Re: [Slovak-World] (unknown)

  • durisek@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 27, 2003
      Yay! Glad you all are here... Marlene, what is your family name from
      Slovakia? Perhaps we have ideas! Zuzka

    • TCC Editor
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 9 2:18 PM
        So when you complain about the hand dealt you, your preaching to the choir
        here Dave. My family is healthy, and that we can thank God for, the rest we
        can indure and will overcome once again.

        Jim

        Taking the position of Dave here Jim, I dont think he is complaining about
        any hand dealt him but, in all honesty, I believe Dave has a right to let
        off steam and feel he has been cheated and betrayed. After serving many
        years with his employer's "promise" of certain benefits and then to be told
        the game plan is changed (and its not only Dave but tons of others in many
        companies this happens to) who would not feel like complaining?
        Unfortunately, every worker is not in a position to pay for private medical
        benefits and personal life insurance polices and, for those who were
        "supposed" to receive this anyway, these issues are many times not
        considered into their post-retirement plans.

        Best Regards,
        Joy K
      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 10, 2003
          Dear Jim,
          Trnava is also called Slovak Rome, because it has so many churches. Nice
          place to walk around.
          Many people from Trnava work in Bratislava.
          French car maker Peugeot is about to build a large assembly plant there.
          There were also the Dopyera brothers, born in the surrounding of Trnava,
          who emigrated to the US and invented guitar with metal resonator, to be
          played in bottleneck style. This guitar is called DOBRO (DOpyera BROthers),
          and became one of the most important instruments in american Country and
          Blues music.
          Every year, there is a Dobro festival in Trnava, where musicians are coming
          from all over the world.
          Topolcany are very different.They have a large furniture plant there.
          Both places are very catholic.
          No shorts in church.
          Regards,
          Vladimir

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 10, 2003
            I always wondered about the guitar called a dobro. Made me think of
            the word dobre. There's a lot of blue grass music here in Florida and
            there's usually someone playing a dobro. Another hurray for the
            Slovaks. Julia M.

            > There were also the Dopyera brothers, born in the surrounding of
            > Trnava,
            > who emigrated to the US and invented guitar with metal resonator, to be
            > played in bottleneck style. This guitar is called DOBRO (DOpyera
            > BROthers),
            > and became one of the most important instruments in american Country
            > and
            > Blues music.
            > Regards,
            > Vladimir

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 10, 2003
              O'k Vladimir, tell the truth, even though you don't like the Zahoraci :-).
              The inventor of the resonator was Jan Dopjera, who immigrated to CA in 1908 from
              Stra�e, na Zahorie, now S~as~tin / Stra�e.

              I know that Dolna Krupa is mentioned as part of his heritage, I believe Stra�e is
              his birth place.

              Vlado, hope the heat is not affecting you. wish we had some here.

              Vilo

              The word "DOBRO" is derived from Dopyera Brothers

              Matchett wrote:

              > I always wondered about the guitar called a dobro. Made me think of
              > the word dobre. There's a lot of blue grass music here in Florida and
              > there's usually someone playing a dobro. Another hurray for the
              > Slovaks. Julia M.
              >
              > > There were also the Dopyera brothers, born in the surrounding of
              > > Trnava,
              > > who emigrated to the US and invented guitar with metal resonator, to be
              > > played in bottleneck style. This guitar is called DOBRO (DOpyera
              > > BROthers),
              > > and became one of the most important instruments in american Country
              > > and
              > > Blues music.
              > > Regards,
              > > Vladimir

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 10, 2003
                Dear Vilo,
                All wrong!
                I like Zahoraci (Transmontanians) very much. Especially their sauerkraut and
                sense of humor.
                I know, that the inventor was born in Straze, but did not want to go into
                such geographical details now.
                I did a lot if research in Sastin parish.
                I even bought a book with the title"V Kiripolci zaby kuju" (if I am not
                mistaking)
                A load of Zahoracky Humor.
                Kiripolec is Kostoliste, near Malacky.
                The heat is affecting me all right. Don't like it. But, what has to be done,
                has to be done.
                Imagine working in the office where there is 36 deg centigrade.
                Thanks God, I have a fridge here.
                Regards,
                Vladimir

                > O'k Vladimir, tell the truth, even though you don't like the Zahoraci :-).
                > The inventor of the resonator was Jan Dopjera, who immigrated to CA in
                1908 from
                > Straže, na Zahorie, now S~as~tin / Straže.
                >
                > I know that Dolna Krupa is mentioned as part of his heritage, I believe
                Straže is
                > his birth place.
                >
                > Vlado, hope the heat is not affecting you. wish we had some here.
                >
                > Vilo
                >
                > The word "DOBRO" is derived from Dopyera Brothers
                >
                > Matchett wrote:
                >
                > > I always wondered about the guitar called a dobro. Made me think of
                > > the word dobre. There's a lot of blue grass music here in Florida and
                > > there's usually someone playing a dobro. Another hurray for the
                > > Slovaks. Julia M.
                > >
                > > > There were also the Dopyera brothers, born in the surrounding of
                > > > Trnava,
                > > > who emigrated to the US and invented guitar with metal resonator, to
                be
                > > > played in bottleneck style. This guitar is called DOBRO (DOpyera
                > > > BROthers),
                > > > and became one of the most important instruments in american Country
                > > > and
                > > > Blues music.
                > > > Regards,
                > > > Vladimir

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • French Student
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 12, 2003
                  Dear all,

                  If you are slovakian you could help the foreigner students to enjoy
                  your country.

                  I am french and I will be student in Slovakia. I would like to meet
                  some persons to have a drink (eg. french red wine), to go to the
                  nightclub and to speak english/slovencina/francais.

                  If you are interested, you could join me on the
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/students_sk

                  Dovidenia

                  Jerome
                • Rose Cathleen Bagin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 22, 2004
                    If one goes to professor olson's faculty screen at Mcallister. one would learn that this wattribution is but another urban legend.

                    Such drivel!!
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 28, 2004
                      In a message dated 3/22/04 9:47:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      kaima71@... writes:

                      > 6. The best way to improve military morale is to praise the troops
                      > in speeches while slashing veterans' benefits and combat pay.

                      Wrong.
                      Speak to anyone in the military. Combat pay, benefits and salary have gone
                      up up up during the present administration. Not to mention that the equipment
                      has been upgraded. if one is a soldier and facing the enemy, this would be a
                      high priority. the others are peace of mind for a soldier with family.

                    • yawho2001
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 28, 2004
                        kaima71@... writes:

                        > 6. The best way to improve military morale is to praise the
                        troops in speeches while slashing veterans' benefits<

                        >Wrong.
                        >Speak to anyone in the military.<

                        What you're implying when you use "Anyone" is that every person in
                        the military agrees with you. Not a good assumption.

                        >........slashing veterans' benefits<

                        Wrong? I don't think so Noreen. I can provide you with more than
                        hearsay but I didn't want to post a list of VA benefits that are
                        being eroded or have been eliminated during this administration. If
                        you'd like, I'll send them to you in a private message.

                        >and combat pay.<

                        "Pentagon Planned To Cut Pay Of Troops Serving In Iraq And
                        Afghanistan"
                        "After criticism from D-------s, the Pentagon announced that current
                        salaries for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan would not be cut, but
                        such efforts may come at the expense of troops serving elsewhere.
                        [Knight-Ridder, 4/5/03; Los Angeles Times, 4/3/03; CQ, 4/16/03; San
                        Francisco Chronicle, 8/14/03; Army Times, 8/13/03; 8/20/03]"

                        "Wednesday, August 9, 2000
                        WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The men and women of the U.S. military soon will
                        be getting a 3.7 percent pay raise, and funding for their health care
                        needs will jump by 9 percent, after President C------ signed a
                        military spending bill into law.
                        "I have signed this bill because, on balance, it demonstrates our
                        commitment to the military, meets our obligations to the troops,
                        maintains readiness, and funds modernization efforts that will ensure
                        our technological edge in the 21st century," C------ said Wednesday."

                        Remember that previous administrations did not have a 9/11. One was
                        possibly averted in 2000 by the emphasis placed on intelligence at
                        that time.

                        "The following is in response to a request for evidence to refute the
                        idea that President Clinton "gutted" the U.S. military.

                        A list of annual military budgets through 1996 can be found at:
                        http://www.cdi.org/issues/milspend.html.
                        From 1996 to the present, you can find them at:
                        http://www.clw.org/milspend/pentagonbudget.html.

                        Note that the highest budget ever was in 1989 at $376.2 billion. As
                        budgets are prepared a year in advance, this would be the last Reagan-
                        proposed budget.

                        George Bush's military budgets were as follows:
                        1990 358.7 (-$17.5 billion, -4.7%)
                        1991 316.5 (-$42.2 billion, -11.8%)
                        1992 328.6 (+$12.1 billion, +3.8%)
                        1993 312.1 (-$16.5 billion, -5.0%)

                        Clinton's military budgets (during his first term) were as follows:
                        1994 290.3 (-$21.8 billion, -7.0%)
                        1995 272.1 (-$18.2 billion, -6.3%)
                        1996 265.6 (-$6.5 billion, -2.4%)
                        1997 254.4 (-11.2 billion, -4.2%)

                        Clinton's military budgets (during his second term) were as follows:
                        1998 265.3 (+10.9 billion, +4.3%)
                        1999 270.6 (+5.3 billion, +2.0%)
                        2000 280.8 (+10.2 billion, +3.8%)
                        2001 305.4 (+24.6 billion, +8.8%)

                        When Bush came into office, the military budget was 358.7. When he
                        left it was 312.1. That is a decrease of $46.6 billion or 13.0%.

                        When Clinton came into office, the military budget was 290.3. When he
                        left it was 305.4. That is an increase of $15.1 billion or 5%. "

                        **********
                        I don't believe our troops were using muskets during the last
                        administration. They won the war in Kosovo in 78 days without
                        losing troops. You have to be rather naive to believe that
                        upgrading did not go on in preceding administrations. Do you believe
                        that the massive military power we have was built up since this
                        administration came in?

                        Janko
                      • Andrea Vangor
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 12, 2005
                          Thank you for that! I have a bigger project in mind when I get a little time -- I thought people might enjoy seeing the chapter on Slovak immigration from Our Slavic Fellow Citizens, 1910. I need to scan and post it. And I need to take photos of some blouses and post that too. Which is an easier task when I get a few minutes.
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 30, 2006
                            Zher-naa is about the way I say Gernat. I try to tell my grandchildren to say our name correctly. I think it sounds better then Gernat. In Slovak they say Gernut. That I do not like.
                            Edward Gernat (Zher-naa

                            From: Paul Wolsko <pwolsko@...>

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 13, 2009
                              Greet you back!

                              Are you in Nitra, by any chance?

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 2 4:29 PM

                                Google translator says
                                Mŕtvica for stroke.

                                (cerebral vascular
                                accident)?
                                mozgových cievnych
                                nehoda

                                George Sirko

                                http://translate.google.com/#en|en|Stroke
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 2 5:51 PM
                                  No priatelia moji keby ste to nahodou chceli
                                  vediet ako sa to po Slovensky spravne povie, tak je to

                                  MODZGOVA PORAZKA alebo MODZGOVA PRIHODA

                                  Google stuff below won't do it.

                                  My cousin in Zvolen just died of one this Sunday.
                                  Happened while hunting. He was 68. He will be buried in Zvolen tomorrow.

                                  Vladi

                                • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 2 6:44 PM
                                    Dear friends,

                                    It is 'mozgova' not 'modzgova' (from the word 'mozog' or brain.) Mrtvica (lekarsky/ medical), iktus, and 'infarkt mozgu' will also work.

                                    Ben

                                    From: Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...>
                                    Sender: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 17:51:46
                                    To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

                                  • lkocik@comcast.net
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 2 6:50 PM
                                      Vladi

                                       I am sorry about your cousin's early death. I am glad for him that he died while doing something he enjoyed.
                                      I think that is the best you can wish for someone.

                                      respectfully

                                      Larry K ocik ----- Original Message -----

                                      At 04:29 PM 2/2/2011, you wrote:

                                      >Google translator says
                                      >MÅ•tvica for stroke.

                                      >(cerebral vascular
                                      >accident)?
                                      >mozgových cievnych
                                      >nehoda

                                      >George Sirko
                                      >
                                      ><http://translate.google.com/#en>http://translate.google.com/#en|en|Stroke
                                      >--- On Wed, 2/2/11, William
                                      ><<mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>wfbrna@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >From: William <<mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>wfbrna@...>
                                      >Subject: [Slovak-World] (unknown)
                                      >To: <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                                      >Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 3:08 PM
                                      >

                                      >Can somebody give me the Slovak word for "stroke" (cerebral vascular
                                      >accident)?
                                      >
                                      >Bill Brna

                                    • Vladimir Linder
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 2 10:12 PM
                                        Thanks Larry, he was a dentist his wife died some
                                        years ago of Alzheimer. Sad story. But yes he
                                        loved hunting so much that he even went hunting several times to Arfica.

                                        Regarding MODZGOVA MRTVICA . I was testing the
                                        waters if anybody figure it right and correct and
                                        the D was put in on purpose so, Ben's wife will
                                        get an AAA, this time for the D and C for MRTVICA.

                                        However they do not use MRTVICA that often as
                                        MRTVY is DEAD. So when you have hart attack they
                                        say you had an INFARKT and when you have a stroke
                                        they say these days MOZGOVA PRIHODA or MOZGOVA PORAZKA.

                                        My friend the former priest in Liptovska Teplicka
                                        did have a stroke and hart attack at the same
                                        time and I was told that he had an INFARKT and MOZGOVU PRIHODU.

                                        Now you know. Now my cousin he did die from the
                                        prihoda so you could say that he had mrtvica.

                                        Vladi

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 3 7:13 AM
                                          My condolences to you as well, Vladi.

                                          But you are right.  We all should hope to go doing something we love.

                                          I'll probably be right here, typing to you all.

                                          At 06:50 PM 2/2/2011, you wrote:

                                          >Vladi

                                          >Â I am sorry about your cousin's early death. I

                                          >am glad for him that he died while doing something he enjoyed.

                                          >I think that is the best you can wish for someone.

                                          >respectfully

                                          >Larry K ocik ----- Original Message -----

                                        • William
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 3 7:22 AM
                                            On 2/3/2011 10:13 AM, LongJohn Wayne wrote:

                                            > My condolences to you as well, Vladi.
                                            >
                                            > But you are right. We all should hope to go doing something we love.
                                            >
                                            > I'll probably be right here, typing to you all.
                                            >
                                            > --- On Thu, 2/3/11, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...
                                            > <mailto:vlinder49%40shaw.ca>> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > From: Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@... <mailto:vlinder49%40shaw.ca>>
                                            > Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] (unknown)
                                            > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
                                            > Date: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 1:12 AM
                                            >

                                            > Thanks Larry, he was a dentist his wife died some
                                            >
                                            > years ago of Alzheimer. Sad story. But yes he
                                            >
                                            > loved hunting so much that he even went hunting several times to Arfica.
                                            >
                                            > Regarding MODZGOVA MRTVICA . I was testing the
                                            >
                                            > waters if anybody figure it right and correct and
                                            >
                                            > the D was put in on purpose so, Ben's wife will
                                            >
                                            > get an AAA, this time for the D and C for MRTVICA.
                                            >
                                            > However they do not use MRTVICA that often as
                                            >
                                            > MRTVY is DEAD. So when you have hart attack they
                                            >
                                            > say you had an INFARKT and when you have a stroke
                                            >
                                            > they say these days MOZGOVA PRIHODA or MOZGOVA PORAZKA.
                                            >
                                            > My friend the former priest in Liptovska Teplicka
                                            >
                                            > did have a stroke and hart attack at the same
                                            >
                                            > time and I was told that he had an INFARKT and MOZGOVU PRIHODU.
                                            >
                                            > Now you know. Now my cousin he did die from the
                                            >
                                            > prihoda so you could say that he had mrtvica.
                                            >
                                            > Vladi
                                            >
                                            > At 06:50 PM 2/2/2011, you wrote:
                                            >

                                            > >Vladi
                                            >

                                            > >Â I am sorry about your cousin's early death. I
                                            >
                                            > >am glad for him that he died while doing something he enjoyed.
                                            >
                                            > >I think that is the best you can wish for someone.
                                            >

                                            > >respectfully
                                            >

                                            > >Larry K ocik ----- Original Message -----
                                            >
                                            > >From: "Vladimir Linder"
                                            > <<mailto:vlinder49%40shaw.ca>vlinder49@...
                                            > <mailto:vlinder49%40shaw.ca>>

                                            Bill Brna

                                          • pat Thomas
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 9, 2013
                                              YES, HALLELUJAH INDEED, CHRIST IS RISEN_!!
                                              I like your style Paul, that is so great of you to remind us of "the reason for the Season", where do u go to church at?
                                              I attend here in Northern VA, and also go to the Byzantine Catholic Church, love those pierogies!

                                              Praying for many Easter Blessings upon you this season,
                                              Patricia
                                              On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 8:23 AM EDT Paul Payerchin wrote:

                                              >Hallelujah! Christ Is Risen!
                                            • George Sirko
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 10, 2013
                                                Voistinu voskrese