Language on Lord's Prayer Plaque

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
      Can someone look at this "Our Father" plaque and
      tell me if it is transliterated Ukrainian, Rusyn or
      Church Slavonic?

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3250559773

      Thanks

      Greg Kopchak
      www.iarelative.com
    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
        Hi! It's Church Slavic. Notice the "daz~d" for "give", which would be
        "daj" nowadays.

        Since it uses "h" for "g" (as in "dolhi" instead of "dolgi" = debts),
        it's a Ukrainian or Rusyn rendition, as a Russian rendition would have
        kept the original "g".

        Joe

        Can someone look at this "Our Father" plaque and
        tell me if it is transliterated Ukrainian, Rusyn or
        Church Slavonic?

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3250559773

        Thanks

        Greg Kopchak
        www.iarelative.com

        ---------------------~-->
        Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
        Canada.
        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/KDdolB/TM
      • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
          Update - I ran across this interesting page giving the Our Father in a
          zillion languages, including Slovak and Ruthenian and Ukrainian:

          http://www.christusrex.org/www1/pater/index.html

          Joe

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
            In a message dated 11/5/03 1:07:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            greg@... writes:

            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3250559773

            Hi Greg,
            That is a real interesting plaque. I put "Lukavaho" into the google search
            engine because i wanted to see what language said that for "Amen"
            this prayer or information came back. also they spelled Chleb as chlib, same
            as the plaque. can you read this??:

            Výsledok: zvítazilo HZDS

            V sobotu je velký sviatok – Nanebovstúpenie Panny Márie. Z miestneho
            pravoslávneho kostola sa ozýva modlitba: ,,Otce naš, iže jesi na nebesich, da
            svjatitsja imja Tvoje. Da príjdet carstvíje Tvoje. Da budet vola tvoja, jako na
            nebesi, i na zemli. Chlib naš nasušcnyj dažd nam dnes. I odstavi nam dolhi naše,
            jakože i my ostavlajem dolžnikom našim. I ne vvedi nas vo iskušeníje, no
            izbavi nas ot lukavaho...“

            the other entry for lukavaho was regarding Greek Orthodox.

            best wishes,
            Noreen

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
              "Lukavaho" doesn't mean "amen", it means "evil".

              Helen

              Helen Fedor
              European Division
              Library of Congress