FW: Slovak Heritage Vilija Workshop

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5 9:45 AM
      Please publicize and promote.

      ======= PRESS RELEASE ==========

      The Slovak Heritage Association
      of The Laurel Highlands
      P.O. Box 203
      Johnstown PA, 15907-0203

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 5, 2003
      PR Contact: Karen A. Mesaros (412) 922-2235

      Slovak Heritage Membership Winter Program:
      “Slovak Vilija Workshop"

      Johnstown PA – The Slovak Heritage Association of the Laurel Highlands
      (SHALH) welcomes you to attend a Slovak Christmas Eve (Vilija) Workshop.

      WHEN: Sunday, November 30, 2003
      TIME: 1:00-5:00 p.m. (continuous demos until 4:30 p.m.)
      WHERE: St. Mary's Byzantine Church Hall, Power Street (Cambria City),
      Johnstown, PA.
      ADMISSION COST: Adults $5 -- children admitted free.

      Have you ever wondered what made grandma's poppyseed roll so special? Or how
      to pinch the perfect pirohy? If so, plan on attending the “Slovak Vilija
      Workshop” and observe the expertise of veteran Slovak cooks, bakers and crafters.
      This program will provide eight different traditional Slovak food and folk art
      workstations complete with recipes and instructions to take home and prepare
      your own Slovak Christmas Eve Vilija.

      Admission entitles you to observe the following eight demonstrations, with
      some hands on experience and limited to one take home craft (while supplies
      last).

      Workstations include:

      -- Mushroom Soup

      -- Pirohy

      -- Bobalky

      -- Nut/Poppyseed Rolls

      -- Medovnicky Cookie Ornaments

      -- Star Tree Top

      -- Paper Ornaments

      -- Jezulanky Candy Ornaments

      Additional activities include:
      Raffles, refreshments, oplatky and kolache sales.

      All ages and general public welcome. Advance admission tickets available, but
      not necessary. Advance admission tickets and kolache orders can be made by
      contacting a SHALH committee member, by phone at 412/922-2235 or email at <A
      HREF="mailto:slovaklh@...">slovaklh@...</A>.

      ====================
      KOLACHE ROLL SALES:
      Orders will be taken for long kolache rolls until November 15 and must be
      picked up at the workshop November 30. Kolache rolls are 16 oz. cake dough and
      freeze well. They are available in nut with apricot center, plain nut, apricot,
      or poppyseed. Cost per roll is $5. Please include you name and phone number
      with your order.

      ====================

      The Slovak Heritage Association of the Laurel Highlands is a non-profit
      organization whose mission is to preserve, study, celebrate, share, and teach the
      Slovak heritage. Members include old and young from the Laurel Highlands region
      and beyond. This is a good opportunity for the general public to come and
      find out what we are about! Anyone interested in learning about Slovak culture
      is cordially invited to attend.

      This project was supported by the Pennsylvania Partners in the Arts (PPA),
      the regional arts funding partnership of the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts,
      a state agency. State government funding comes through an annual appropriation
      by Pennsylvania's General Assembly and from the National Endowment for the
      Arts, a Federal Agency. PPA is administered in this region by the Pennsylvania
      Regional Arts Alliance (PRAA).

      ###
    • WHew536674@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5 2:30 PM
        In a message dated 11/5/2003 11:53:43 AM Central Standard Time,
        greg@... writes:
        > The Slovak Heritage Association
        > of The Laurel Highlands
        > P.O. Box 203
        > Johnstown PA, 15907-0203

        Is this an annual event? I'm down here in at the tip of Texas on the border
        of Mexico. The house is up for sale. When it sells we are moving to the
        Pittsburgh area. (Latrobe) I feel like a cat pacing the cage. Can't wait to get
        out of here and start to enjoy all those festivals that you folks in PA and
        Ohio go to. I assume the one at Pitt is on every year, correct?

        Joyce