OT - Letter from New Marine Recruit (Gotta read to the end!)

  • theoldpro
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2003
      From: theoldpro - kind of a neat letter from a "new" Marine.

      Subject: Fw: Letter from New Marine Recruit (Gotta read to the end!)

      Message
      Dear Ma and Pa,

      I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the
      Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join
      up
      quick before maybe all of the places are filled. I was restless at
      first because you got to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m.but am getting
      so I like to sleep late.

      Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot and
      shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to
      split, fire to lay. Practically nothing. Men got to shave but it is not
      so bad, there's > warm water.

      Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon,
      etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant,
      pie and other regular food. But tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit
      between two city boys that live on coffee. Their food plus yours holds
      you till noon, when
      you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

      We go on "route" marches, which the Platoon Sergeant says are long
      walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it is not my place to tell him
      different. A "route march" is about as far as to our mailbox at home.
      Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

      The country is nice, but awful flat. The Sergeant is like a
      schoolteacher. He nags some. The Capt. is like the school board. Majors
      and Colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

      This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting
      medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a
      chipmunks head and don't move. And it ain't shooting at you, like the
      Higgett boys at home.

      All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't
      even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

      Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to
      wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they
      break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm
      about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in
      Silver Lake. He joined up the same time as me. But I'm only 5'6" and 130
      pounds and he's 6'8" and weighs near 300 pounds dry.

      Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers
      get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

      Your ever-lovin' daughter,
      Gail.