Re: OT Anybody hear of the Halifax explosion?

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2003
      Yeah, I had heard of it. Talk about your friendly fire.
      Colin

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Claudia Medvik"
      <cmedvik@m...> wrote:
      > Saw a program on Canadian TV this week about the Halifax
      Explosion. Halifax harbor is on the Atlantic, and was a busy port
      for the allies during WWI, even though there were allot of civilians
      living nearby. One French munitions ship carrying 226,797 kg
      (don't know what that is in lbs) of TNT sailed into the 'Narrows'
      just outside the main harbor, intending on meeting up with a
      convoy escort to cross the Atlantic, December 6, 1917. Another
      ship was coming the other way in this narrow strait and these
      two idiot captains played a game of 'chicken', blowing their horns
      for the 'other guy to get out of the way'!! Neither did in time and
      they hit. The sparks from the other ship pulling away from the
      French ship set off barrels of liquid Benzol on the forward deck
      (223,188 kg). The French crew thought they had only seconds to
      get away and abandoned ship, leaving the burning freighter to
      drift towards the docks of Halifax. Where firemen, ignorant of its
      cargo, were trying to put the fire out.

      > It took 35 minutes for the TNT to heat sufficiently, and the
      Canadian, not having any contact with the war, thought the
      explosions on deck were something like fireworks. They stayed,
      gathered and watched. At 9:04 am the ship, the Mount Blanc,
      blew up. It was the greatest man made explosion in history until
      the Bomb was dropped in WWII. Yet nobody remembers it!
      Boston still receives a Christmas tree yearly for the doctors,
      nurses, medicine and Red Cross supplies they sent to Halifax,
      or what was left of Halifax.