RE: [Slovak-World] Missing Mail--Spam Filters

  • Bill Tarkulich
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2003
      BJ,
      The only way to know for certain is to have your very own mail server,
      without SPAM filtering enabled. You can be certain that the big houses
      like AOL are still filtering even after you have disabled "your"
      filters. They are filtering not just spam but virus and trojans, too.

      I have my own web domain and my own shared mail server, so I get ALL the
      garbage there is (presently about 120 spam and virus messages per DAY.
      The upside to this is that I have FULL control of my mail accounts. I
      have then set up a couple of different SPAM filter systems that work for
      about 80% for me. Now, I'm a computer techie by trade, been doing email
      since 1983 and know far too much about all this (more than I care to,
      but need to know.) and have a predisposition to conquer this garbage
      myself.

      SPAMMers have figured out how to forge the header information so it
      appears to all filters as legit. And the anti spam software jumps the
      gun a bit too much. AOL has a financial incentive to minimize spam
      since it costs them a LOT of $$ in bandwidth and storage space to
      process and hold all this stuff. Don't bother trying to fight AOL or
      Yahoo - try to find a smaller provider that gives you the same access
      but more control. While you get Yahoo for free, you never get something
      for nothing. There are plenty of decent smaller ISPs out there like
      juno.com who have local dialup numbers and still let you have more
      control of your email.

      I stopped using AOL a long time ago because of all the restrictions and
      it's magnetic attraction of SPAM.
      I needed to have a permanent email address due to the unsolicited
      inquiries I get from friends and customers. However, over time, you
      address gets out and you lose control over it.

      The only sure fire way to lose this stuff is to either a) MOVE - get a
      new email address, or b) use a challenge/response spam filter, where the
      sender must authenticate him/herself. This however, will not stop you
      from missing messages unless you get onto a different mail system.

      It will require a revolution in the internet email system to solve this
      problem. A system that requires "positive ID" will have to be
      established to challenge and authenticate, or "trust" each new sender.
      And it will all have to be transparent to the end user. The email
      system we use today is too trusting, and unfortunately too pervasive.
      Talks are underway to develop secure methods of email - but it will be a
      long time in adoption, since by now hundreds of millions of users are
      running email - no easy feat to change, but required.

      So consider yourself in the embryonic stages of internet email. You
      WILL have some stories to tell you great grandchildren....