FW: Rusyn Folk Group Coming to Cleveland

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 28, 2003
      C-RS CLEVELAND CHAPTER PRESENTS

      The Reviljak Family Singers from Bardejov, Slovakia, in Concert

      St. Andrew's Orthodox Church
      16069 Maple Park Dr., Maple Heights, Ohio, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
      The Reviljak Family from the Slovak Republic has performed a lively and
      varied folk art song repertoire on European, Canadian, and American stages
      for sixteen years. The talented family of Milan, Ol'ga, daughters Zuzana and
      Julia, and son Milan grew up singing in the city of Bardejov, Slovakia.

      They have received numerous awards in national competitions and appeared on
      national festival stages, radio and TV. Enjoy the rich Slavic experience of
      Carpatho-Rusyn and Slovak folk songs, and their modern popular compositions,
      along with many international favorites, including American folk songs and
      theater favorites.

      Reservations are requested by November 9th.
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 29, 2003
        I've forwarded this on to my mom's friend (she was also my sponsor when I was Chrismated into the Orthodox church last summer) -- she belongs to St. Michael's in Cleveland -- but they have many functions at St. Andrew's as well -- so I asked her to publicize it and if she attends to let me know how it was. Thanks Greg.

        Caye

        Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:

        C-RS CLEVELAND CHAPTER PRESENTS

        The Reviljak Family Singers from Bardejov, Slovakia, in Concert

        St. Andrew's Orthodox Church
        16069 Maple Park Dr., Maple Heights, Ohio, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
        The Reviljak Family from the Slovak Republic has performed a lively and
        varied folk art song repertoire on European, Canadian, and American stages
        for sixteen years. The talented family of Milan, Ol'ga, daughters Zuzana and
        Julia, and son Milan grew up singing in the city of Bardejov, Slovakia.

        They have received numerous awards in national competitions and appeared on
        national festival stages, radio and TV. Enjoy the rich Slavic experience of
        Carpatho-Rusyn and Slovak folk songs, and their modern popular compositions,
        along with many international favorites, including American folk songs and
        theater favorites.

        Reservations are requested by November 9th.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • raybravo2000
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 29, 2003
          Ahoj Caye,

          What is the date of this performance and could you put it on the
          Calendar on the home page.

          Dakujem,
          Colin

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick
          <ccaswick@y...> wrote:
          > I've forwarded this on to my mom's friend (she was also my
          sponsor when I was Chrismated into the Orthodox church last
          summer) -- she belongs to St. Michael's in Cleveland -- but they
          have many functions at St. Andrew's as well -- so I asked her to
          publicize it and if she attends to let me know how it was. Thanks
          Greg.

          > Caye
          >

          > Gregory J Kopchak <greg@i...> wrote:
          >
          > C-RS CLEVELAND CHAPTER PRESENTS
          >
          > The Reviljak Family Singers from Bardejov, Slovakia, in
          Concert

          > St. Andrew's Orthodox Church
          > 16069 Maple Park Dr., Maple Heights, Ohio, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
          > The Reviljak Family from the Slovak Republic has performed a
          lively and
          > varied folk art song repertoire on European, Canadian, and
          American stages
          > for sixteen years. The talented family of Milan, Ol'ga, daughters
          Zuzana and
          > Julia, and son Milan grew up singing in the city of Bardejov,
          Slovakia.

          > They have received numerous awards in national competitions
          and appeared on
          > national festival stages, radio and TV. Enjoy the rich Slavic
          experience of
          > Carpatho-Rusyn and Slovak folk songs, and their modern
          popular compositions,
          > along with many international favorites, including American folk
          songs and
          > theater favorites.
          >
          > Reservations are requested by November 9th.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 29, 2003
            The Reviljak Family Singers from Bardejov, Slovakia, in Concert

            St. Andrew's Orthodox Church
            16069 Maple Park Dr., Maple Heights, Ohio,

            7:00-9:00 p.m.
            NOVEMBER 14, 2003

            The Reviljak Family from the Slovak Republic has performed a lively and
            varied folk art song repertoire on European, Canadian, and American stages
            for sixteen years. The talented family of Milan, Ol'ga, daughters Zuzana and
            Julia, and son Milan grew up singing in the city of Bardejov, Slovakia.

            They have received numerous awards in national competitions and appeared on
            national festival stages, radio and TV. Enjoy the rich Slavic experience of
            Carpatho-Rusyn and Slovak folk songs, and their modern popular compositions,
            along with many international favorites, including American folk songs and
            theater favorites.

            Reservations are requested by November 9th.

            For more info call 440 546-9526

            or email lucak@saed,kent.edu

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 30, 2003
              Good Question -- Greg? Can you post the date of the event and I'll see if I can post it to the calendar. Thanks.

              Caye

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                  Can someone look at this "Our Father" plaque and
                  tell me if it is transliterated Ukrainian, Rusyn or
                  Church Slavonic?

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3250559773

                  Thanks

                  Greg Kopchak
                  www.iarelative.com
                • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                    Hi! It's Church Slavic. Notice the "daz~d" for "give", which would be
                    "daj" nowadays.

                    Since it uses "h" for "g" (as in "dolhi" instead of "dolgi" = debts),
                    it's a Ukrainian or Rusyn rendition, as a Russian rendition would have
                    kept the original "g".

                    Joe

                    Can someone look at this "Our Father" plaque and
                    tell me if it is transliterated Ukrainian, Rusyn or
                    Church Slavonic?

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3250559773

                    Thanks

                    Greg Kopchak
                    www.iarelative.com

                    ---------------------~-->
                    Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
                    Canada.
                    http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/KDdolB/TM
                  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                      Update - I ran across this interesting page giving the Our Father in a
                      zillion languages, including Slovak and Ruthenian and Ukrainian:

                      http://www.christusrex.org/www1/pater/index.html

                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                        In a message dated 11/5/03 1:07:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        greg@... writes:

                        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3250559773

                        Hi Greg,
                        That is a real interesting plaque. I put "Lukavaho" into the google search
                        engine because i wanted to see what language said that for "Amen"
                        this prayer or information came back. also they spelled Chleb as chlib, same
                        as the plaque. can you read this??:

                        Výsledok: zvítazilo HZDS

                        V sobotu je velký sviatok – Nanebovstúpenie Panny Márie. Z miestneho
                        pravoslávneho kostola sa ozýva modlitba: ,,Otce naš, iže jesi na nebesich, da
                        svjatitsja imja Tvoje. Da príjdet carstvíje Tvoje. Da budet vola tvoja, jako na
                        nebesi, i na zemli. Chlib naš nasušcnyj dažd nam dnes. I odstavi nam dolhi naše,
                        jakože i my ostavlajem dolžnikom našim. I ne vvedi nas vo iskušeníje, no
                        izbavi nas ot lukavaho...“

                        the other entry for lukavaho was regarding Greek Orthodox.

                        best wishes,
                        Noreen

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 5, 2003
                          "Lukavaho" doesn't mean "amen", it means "evil".

                          Helen

                          Helen Fedor
                          European Division
                          Library of Congress