Slovak World

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 26, 2003
      Just looking for you Jim and wondering if the fires are near to your home.
      hope you and Dorothy are okay.
      Noreen

    • William F Brna
      Message 2 of 21 , May 20, 2004
        Why can't we leave topics other than those relating to Slovaks and Slovak
        World off this list? If someone has something other than topics limited
        to Slovak matters, either send it to those individuals who are spoiling
        for a fight (you can easily get their email addresses) or just forget
        about it, but spare the rest of us from your incessant drivel?

        William F. Brna
        Message 3 of 21 , May 20, 2004
          Seconded.

          Helen

          >>> wfbrna@... 5/20/2004 12:11:45 PM >>>
          Why can't we leave topics other than those relating to Slovaks and
          Slovak
          World off this list? If someone has something other than topics
          limited
          to Slovak matters, either send it to those individuals who are
          spoiling
          for a fight (you can easily get their email addresses) or just forget
          about it, but spare the rest of us from your incessant drivel?

          William F. Brna

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 21 , May 20, 2004
            I notice there is a mostly unused chat option at both Slovak-World and Slovak-Roots -- why not try chatting about off-topic topics in one or both of those?

            Caye

            Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
            Seconded.

            Helen

            >>> wfbrna@... 5/20/2004 12:11:45 PM >>>
            Why can't we leave topics other than those relating to Slovaks and
            Slovak
            World off this list? If someone has something other than topics
            limited
            to Slovak matters, either send it to those individuals who are
            spoiling
            for a fight (you can easily get their email addresses) or just forget
            about it, but spare the rest of us from your incessant drivel?

            William F. Brna

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 21 , May 20, 2004
              Chat is expensive.
              Vladimir
              I notice there is a mostly unused chat option at both Slovak-World and Slovak-Roots -- why not try chatting about off-topic topics in one or both of those?

              Caye

              Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
              Seconded.

              Helen

              >>> wfbrna@... 5/20/2004 12:11:45 PM >>>
              Why can't we leave topics other than those relating to Slovaks and
              Slovak
              World off this list? If someone has something other than topics
              limited
              to Slovak matters, either send it to those individuals who are
              spoiling
              for a fight (you can easily get their email addresses) or just forget
              about it, but spare the rest of us from your incessant drivel?

              William F. Brna

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              http://www.eset.sk

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 21 , May 20, 2004
                Too bad, cause talk's cheap.

                Caye

                Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:
                Chat is expensive.
                Vladimir
                I notice there is a mostly unused chat option at both Slovak-World and Slovak-Roots -- why not try chatting about off-topic topics in one or both of those?

                Caye

                Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
                Seconded.

                Helen

                >>> wfbrna@... 5/20/2004 12:11:45 PM >>>
                Why can't we leave topics other than those relating to Slovaks and
                Slovak
                World off this list? If someone has something other than topics
                limited
                to Slovak matters, either send it to those individuals who are
                spoiling
                for a fight (you can easily get their email addresses) or just forget
                about it, but spare the rest of us from your incessant drivel?

                William F. Brna

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                http://www.eset.sk

              • gergely
                Message 7 of 21 , May 20, 2004
                  Vladimir,

                  Not to us Americans. We have lots of money and enjoy wasting it.

                  Jack Gergely

                  I notice there is a mostly unused chat option at both Slovak-World and
                  Slovak-Roots -- why not try chatting about off-topic topics in one or both
                  of those?

                  Caye

                  Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
                  Seconded.

                  Helen

                  >>> wfbrna@... 5/20/2004 12:11:45 PM >>>
                  Why can't we leave topics other than those relating to Slovaks and
                  Slovak
                  World off this list? If someone has something other than topics
                  limited
                  to Slovak matters, either send it to those individuals who are
                  spoiling
                  for a fight (you can easily get their email addresses) or just forget
                  about it, but spare the rest of us from your incessant drivel?

                  William F. Brna

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  http://www.eset.sk

                • capt jack
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 20, 2004
                    One mans drivel is another mans interest. :-)

                    CJ

                  • William F Brna
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 20, 2004
                      Thaat may be but it's still drivel.

                      William F. Brna

                      On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:56:02 -0700 (PDT) capt jack <captjack00@...>
                      writes:
                      > One mans drivel is another mans interest. :-)
                      >
                      > CJ

                    • Gil K.
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 20, 2004
                        Hey Bill,

                        Be aware that there may be some "sporadic wisdom" inbedded in what you call "incessant drivel". And I wouldn't want you to miss it. :-)

                        Gil K.

                        writes:
                        > One mans drivel is another mans interest. :-)
                        >
                        > CJ

                      • Dr. Joe Q
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 20, 2004
                          Chat is not expensive for the few who indulge in the
                          nonsense referred to. These folks are well connected
                          to the internet (perhaps they should be connected to a
                          life). However, the attraction of the "few minutes of
                          fame" thing and being "clever in front of others" is
                          too much for them to take the exchanges off this list.
                          All you have to do is set up a few filters to dump
                          the messages from the very few addresses you do not
                          want to either the TRASH (the best location) or some
                          other designated folder, so you can suffer quietly.

                          Complaining that this is a Slovak genealogy and Slovak
                          oriented list will do nothing. This is (fortunately)
                          an uncensored and unmoderated list. Write what you
                          want and watch the show. Perhaps those who do are
                          irritated by some posts posts on this list should
                          embrace one of the netiquette suggestions "Do not
                          annoy and do not be easily annoyed".

                          N�dej zomiera posledn� - Na'dej zomiera posledna'
                          (Hope dies last; the translation of what I wrote for
                          those of us who work on learning the Slovak language
                          and look forward to learning more).

                          Dr. "Q"

                          > I notice there is a mostly unused chat option at
                          > both Slovak-World and Slovak-Roots -- why not try
                          > chatting about off-topic topics in one or both of
                          > those?
                          >

                          > Caye
                          >

                          > Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
                          > Seconded.
                          >
                          > Helen

                          > Why can't we leave topics other than those
                          > relating to Slovaks and
                          > Slovak
                          > World off this list? If someone has something
                          > other than topics
                          > limited
                          > to Slovak matters, either send it to those
                          > individuals who are
                          > spoiling
                          > for a fight (you can easily get their email
                          > addresses) or just forget
                          > about it, but spare the rest of us from your
                          > incessant drivel?
                          >
                          > William F. Brna

                          Yahoo! Domains � Claim yours for only $14.70/year
                        • David
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 30, 2006
                            Hi: Aren't we getting into this religion stuff a little much?
                            Religion is fine, but it starts getting like politics. People start
                            disagreeing and fighting with each other about what the bible says,
                            and who is right and who is wrong. I think it is time to move one.
                            Humble Dave
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 30, 2006
                              I second that.

                              >>> humblebe@... 01/30/06 1:18 PM >>>
                              Hi: Aren't we getting into this religion stuff a little much?
                              Religion is fine, but it starts getting like politics. People start
                              disagreeing and fighting with each other about what the bible says,
                              and who is right and who is wrong. I think it is time to move one.
                              Humble Dave

                              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            • Art
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 30, 2006
                                Also second that, unless its strictly related to Slovaks and Slovakia.
                                Art
                                Hi: Aren't we getting into this religion stuff a little much?
                                Religion is fine, but it starts getting like politics. People start
                                disagreeing and fighting with each other about what the bible says,
                                and who is right and who is wrong. I think it is time to move one.
                                Humble Dave

                                Hotel slovakia Slovakia phone Slovakia

                              • Michelle A Mader
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 30, 2006
                                  I thought it actually had pretty much died out except for the constant spate
                                  of posts about ending the topic.

                                  Art wrote:
                                  >Also second that, unless its strictly related to Slovaks and Slovakia.
                                  >Art

                                  Michelle Maco Mader
                                  Cleveland, Ohio USA
                                • Paul Wolsko
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 30, 2006
                                    Well, David, Slovak World is, in many ways like a Slovak family. I
                                    hope your family was different from mine, but there was no occasion
                                    without a spirited argument...if not a fistfight. Weddings, Funerals,
                                    holidays (fueled by spiritus fermenti), generic get-togethers etc.
                                    Even a family discussion about an innocuous subject turned into a
                                    donnybrook. I, on the other hand, have risen above all that.

                                    You got a problem with that? <g>

                                    Paul

                                    David wrote:

                                    >Hi: Aren't we getting into this religion stuff a little much?
                                    >Religion is fine, but it starts getting like politics. People start
                                    >disagreeing and fighting with each other about what the bible says,
                                    >and who is right and who is wrong. I think it is time to move one.
                                    >Humble Dave
                                    >

                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • David
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 30, 2006
                                      Paul: How true, but I'm a lover...not a fighter.
                                      The Humble One

                                      At 06:21 PM 1/30/2006, you wrote:
                                      >Well, David, Slovak World is, in many ways like a Slovak family. I
                                      >hope your family was different from mine, but there was no occasion
                                      >without a spirited argument...if not a fistfight. Weddings, Funerals,
                                      >holidays (fueled by spiritus fermenti), generic get-togethers etc.
                                      >Even a family discussion about an innocuous subject turned into a
                                      >donnybrook. I, on the other hand, have risen above all that.
                                      >
                                      >You got a problem with that? <g>
                                      >
                                      >Paul
                                      >

                                      >David wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >Hi: Aren't we getting into this religion stuff a little much?
                                      > >Religion is fine, but it starts getting like politics. People start
                                      > >disagreeing and fighting with each other about what the bible says,
                                      > >and who is right and who is wrong. I think it is time to move one.
                                      > >Humble Dave
                                      > >

                                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Dennis and Donna
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 21, 2008
                                        Just thought I would pass on the fact that I must go back to work
                                        Monday.

                                        I have been off a few days 'cause I hurt myself. Maybe during the week
                                        I can check in from time to time.

                                        I have been working on my Genealogy (Descendant lists). Cruising the
                                        internet and maybe drinking to much pivo.

                                        I did get a chance to scan a second Postcard. I read in it.....

                                        "It's Me,Milka Polician'ova " or something like that.There are two
                                        women pictured. Maybe Vasily's Girl friends? This one is much shorter.

                                        I pestered my Folks enough that they actually went through
                                        another box off stuff from My G-Grand Father and have.....

                                        Bothered my wife enough for Her to be glad I am going back to work....

                                        Sent too many E-Mails that Bozena and I have run out of things to say
                                        to each other. (used up our phrase books)

                                        Generaly,I would say that I may have been a nuisance being home and
                                        on-line.

                                        But it has been fun and free also so who is really complaining?

                                        Do zajtra!

                                        Dennis
                                      • fbican@att.net
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 21, 2008
                                          Dennis--

                                          All I can tell you is that I've been retired for five years now. My health hasn't been all that good, but I'm in a good state of mind. All I waste is a few electrons with my laptop and my Skype phone. Toss in my Lingo digital translator, and a little TV once in a while, and I'm happy as a pig-in-you-know-what. Once in a while (usually durring the winter), I'll drag out the short-wave radio to see what I can hear from Europe. I can always get the BBC, but a lot of other countries are getting rather hit-or-miss.

                                          Kindest regards,

                                          Skeeter

                                          -------------- Original message from "Dennis and Donna" <ddhalusker@...>: --------------

[...]

                                        • Joe Armata
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 21, 2008
                                            Right you are, Dennis! It says:

                                            And here's a "poskort" (a postcard) from me
                                            One that's me and the other
                                            Milka Palicijanowa.

                                            The words "z mene" (from me) and "szto" (loosely translated as "that's")
                                            sound Rusyn to me, not Slovak.

                                            Joe

                                            > I did get a chance to scan a second Postcard. I read in it.....
                                            >
                                            > "It's Me,Milka Polician'ova " or something like that.There are two
                                            > women pictured. Maybe Vasily's Girl friends? This one is much
                                            > shorter.
                                            >

                                            > Dennis
                                          • Eve Smith
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 9, 2011
                                              Inez, your trip sounds sooo exciting. Appreciate your sharing. Hope you took many photos. It would be nice if you could do a Facebook profile page and share them.