RE: [Slovak-World] Close to Topic: Booking a hotel in Prague

  • John Sefcik
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
      Try this link:
      http://www.prague-hotel.ws/prague-hotel-dum-u-cerveneho-lva.asp

      John

      -----Original Message-----
      From: agp [mailto:agp@...]
      Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 9:41 AM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Close to Topic: Booking a hotel in Prague

      Hi all

      I entitle this as close to topic as it deals with the Czech republic as
      opposed to our dear Slovakia, but I since we are all slavic brothers and
      sisters -- why not ask here!

      I am looking for a way to book a hotel in Prague. The hotel is the House
      of the Red Lion (Dom u Cerveneho Lva -- I think - -I don't have my papers
      with me). I have been trying to find a good way of booking them, but keep
      coming up with only booking agencies in Prague, some of which want my
      credit card info via a non-secured website -- something I won't do!

      So, can anyone recommend a travel agent in the USA who might be able to
      book it for me. Or does anyone have a good rcommended alternative in the
      Czech republic to book them.

      I can't seem to find a direct phone number for them (allow I haven't looke
      at the Czech phone book)

      Cheers

      Tony P

    • Bernardine Weigand
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
        I too would recommend the same agency. Both our trips to Slovakia (also CZ, Hungary,Poland, Austria) were arranged by AIT and there were no problems.

        Paul Hudak is the owner/manager. Their toll-free # is: 800-542-2487

        Bernardine
        Robert J. Mizikar wrote:

        > Hi Tony,
        >
        > You might try Adventure International Travel Service. Their e-mail address
        > is: Slovaktr@...
        >
        > I believe they are in Cleveland, Ohio.
        >
        > They handled our custom travel plans for a trip to Prague and then to
        > Bratislava, Slovakia etc. in Sept. 2001 They were extremely helpful. Ask
        > for Priska (originally from Slovakia)!
        >
        > Hope this information is helpful.
        >
        > Juanita Mizikar

      • raybravo2000
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
          I just wanted to recommend two things in Prague: the State Opera, and
          the Museum of Communism. My sister & I saw "La Traviata" at the State
          Opera and the music and the theater are were beautiful. My sister
          thought the sets could have been better. We sat in the third row of
          the balcony for $13. The Museum of Communism is very informative.
          They have ironicly funny ads around town, but everything inside is
          very serious. Also they have great concerts in St. Nicholas Church on
          the old town square, the Hussite Church.

          Colin

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
          > Hi all
          >
          > I entitle this as close to topic as it deals with the Czech republic
          as
          > opposed to our dear Slovakia, but I since we are all slavic brothers
          and
          > sisters -- why not ask here!
          >
          > I am looking for a way to book a hotel in Prague. The hotel is the
          House
          > of the Red Lion (Dom u Cerveneho Lva -- I think - -I don't have my
          papers
          > with me). I have been trying to find a good way of booking them, but
          keep
          > coming up with only booking agencies in Prague, some of which want
          my
          > credit card info via a non-secured website -- something I won't do!
          >
          > So, can anyone recommend a travel agent in the USA who might be able
          > book it for me. Or does anyone have a good rcommended alternative in
          the
          > Czech republic to book them.
          >
          > I can't seem to find a direct phone number for them (allow I haven't
          looke
          > at the Czech phone book)
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Tony P
        • agp
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
            Hi all

            Thanks to everyone for their advise on this and on what money to have in
            hand while travelling. Just 3 1/2 weeks to go!!!!

            And thank you to Colin for the ideas on some places to see. The Museum of
            Communism sounds to be a great visit. (As an aside, I am also planning to
            visit the Statue Park in Budapest to see some old rusting Lenins).

            After much wrangling, I finally found a direct website and phone number
            for the Dum u Cerveneho Lva (The house at the Red Lion Hotel) in Prague.
            Unfortunately they were booked, but own a similar hotel, The Golden Star.
            So, I got that at the same price.

            It was interesting to call them and navigate to an english speaker via a
            smattering of phrase book Slovak.

            Oh -- one word of caution to all -- be very aware of booking hotels that
            require your credit card info at their website when booking. Almost all of
            the websites I found for Prague hotels, wanted a credit card, which is
            okay -- however NONE of them were secured websites. NEVER submit your
            credit card details on non secured websites. To be sure of a secured
            website, make sure that the address says https and not just http, and that
            you have a small icon of a closed lock at the bottom of your browser!

            Tony P
            -- your freindly neighbourhood slovak computer geek!