Re: [Slovak-World] Close to Topic: Booking a hotel in Prague

  • Jan Lan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
      At 09:40 AM 10/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >So, can anyone recommend a travel agent in the USA who might be able to
      >book it for me. Or does anyone have a good rcommended alternative in the
      >Czech republic to book them.
      >
      >I can't seem to find a direct phone number for them (allow I haven't looke
      >at the Czech phone book)
      >
      >Cheers
      >
      >Tony P

      I have a cousin living in Praha. His ancestral home was in the Bardejov
      area where you're eventually headed. We toured Slovakia together in
      1999. I can contact him for advice. Send me a private E-mail with details
      if you're interested.

      http://www.pragahotel.com/pages/hotel_dum_u_cerveneho_lva.php3

      Janko
    • John Sefcik
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
        Try this link:
        http://www.prague-hotel.ws/prague-hotel-dum-u-cerveneho-lva.asp

        John

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
          I too would recommend the same agency. Both our trips to Slovakia (also CZ, Hungary,Poland, Austria) were arranged by AIT and there were no problems.

          Paul Hudak is the owner/manager. Their toll-free # is: 800-542-2487

          Bernardine
          Robert J. Mizikar wrote:

          > Hi Tony,
          >
          > You might try Adventure International Travel Service. Their e-mail address
          > is: Slovaktr@...
          >
          > I believe they are in Cleveland, Ohio.
          >
          > They handled our custom travel plans for a trip to Prague and then to
          > Bratislava, Slovakia etc. in Sept. 2001 They were extremely helpful. Ask
          > for Priska (originally from Slovakia)!
          >
          > Hope this information is helpful.
          >
          > Juanita Mizikar

        • raybravo2000
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
            I just wanted to recommend two things in Prague: the State Opera, and
            the Museum of Communism. My sister & I saw "La Traviata" at the State
            Opera and the music and the theater are were beautiful. My sister
            thought the sets could have been better. We sat in the third row of
            the balcony for $13. The Museum of Communism is very informative.
            They have ironicly funny ads around town, but everything inside is
            very serious. Also they have great concerts in St. Nicholas Church on
            the old town square, the Hussite Church.

            Colin

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
            > Hi all
            >
            > I entitle this as close to topic as it deals with the Czech republic
            as
            > opposed to our dear Slovakia, but I since we are all slavic brothers
            and
            > sisters -- why not ask here!
            >
            > I am looking for a way to book a hotel in Prague. The hotel is the
            House
            > of the Red Lion (Dom u Cerveneho Lva -- I think - -I don't have my
            papers
            > with me). I have been trying to find a good way of booking them, but
            keep
            > coming up with only booking agencies in Prague, some of which want
            my
            > credit card info via a non-secured website -- something I won't do!
            >
            > So, can anyone recommend a travel agent in the USA who might be able
            > book it for me. Or does anyone have a good rcommended alternative in
            the
            > Czech republic to book them.
            >
            > I can't seem to find a direct phone number for them (allow I haven't
            looke
            > at the Czech phone book)
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Tony P
          • agp
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
              Hi all

              Thanks to everyone for their advise on this and on what money to have in
              hand while travelling. Just 3 1/2 weeks to go!!!!

              And thank you to Colin for the ideas on some places to see. The Museum of
              Communism sounds to be a great visit. (As an aside, I am also planning to
              visit the Statue Park in Budapest to see some old rusting Lenins).

              After much wrangling, I finally found a direct website and phone number
              for the Dum u Cerveneho Lva (The house at the Red Lion Hotel) in Prague.
              Unfortunately they were booked, but own a similar hotel, The Golden Star.
              So, I got that at the same price.

              It was interesting to call them and navigate to an english speaker via a
              smattering of phrase book Slovak.

              Oh -- one word of caution to all -- be very aware of booking hotels that
              require your credit card info at their website when booking. Almost all of
              the websites I found for Prague hotels, wanted a credit card, which is
              okay -- however NONE of them were secured websites. NEVER submit your
              credit card details on non secured websites. To be sure of a secured
              website, make sure that the address says https and not just http, and that
              you have a small icon of a closed lock at the bottom of your browser!

              Tony P
              -- your freindly neighbourhood slovak computer geek!