Close to Topic: Booking a hotel in Prague

  • agp
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
      Hi all

      I entitle this as close to topic as it deals with the Czech republic as
      opposed to our dear Slovakia, but I since we are all slavic brothers and
      sisters -- why not ask here!

      I am looking for a way to book a hotel in Prague. The hotel is the House
      of the Red Lion (Dom u Cerveneho Lva -- I think - -I don't have my papers
      with me). I have been trying to find a good way of booking them, but keep
      coming up with only booking agencies in Prague, some of which want my
      credit card info via a non-secured website -- something I won't do!

      So, can anyone recommend a travel agent in the USA who might be able to
      book it for me. Or does anyone have a good rcommended alternative in the
      Czech republic to book them.

      I can't seem to find a direct phone number for them (allow I haven't looke
      at the Czech phone book)

      Cheers

      Tony P
    • Robert J. Mizikar
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
        Hi Tony,

        You might try Adventure International Travel Service. Their e-mail address
        is: Slovaktr@...

        I believe they are in Cleveland, Ohio.

        They handled our custom travel plans for a trip to Prague and then to
        Bratislava, Slovakia etc. in Sept. 2001 They were extremely helpful. Ask
        for Priska (originally from Slovakia)!

        Hope this information is helpful.

        Juanita Mizikar

[...]

        ---
        [This E-mail scanned by Citizens Internet Services with Declude Virus.]

        ---
        [This E-mail scanned by Citizens Internet Services with Declude Virus.]
      • raybravo2000
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
          Benyo World Wide Travel
          The Best in Travel Service at Bargain Prices Serving. All
          Destinations Worldwide. Special Expertise with Slovakia &
          Eastern Europe.
          http://www.benyo.com/

          They were recommended by a friend and I have used them to
          book my flights.

          Colin

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
          > Hi all
          >
          > I entitle this as close to topic as it deals with the Czech republic
          as
          > opposed to our dear Slovakia, but I since we are all slavic
          brothers and
          > sisters -- why not ask here!
          >
          > I am looking for a way to book a hotel in Prague. The hotel is
          the House
          > of the Red Lion (Dom u Cerveneho Lva -- I think - -I don't have
          my papers
          > with me). I have been trying to find a good way of booking them,
          but keep
          > coming up with only booking agencies in Prague, some of
          which want my
          > credit card info via a non-secured website -- something I won't
          do!

          > So, can anyone recommend a travel agent in the USA who
          might be able to
          > book it for me. Or does anyone have a good rcommended
          alternative in the
          > Czech republic to book them.
          >
          > I can't seem to find a direct phone number for them (allow I
          haven't looke
          > at the Czech phone book)
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Tony P
        • Jan Lan
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
            At 09:40 AM 10/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
            >So, can anyone recommend a travel agent in the USA who might be able to
            >book it for me. Or does anyone have a good rcommended alternative in the
            >Czech republic to book them.
            >
            >I can't seem to find a direct phone number for them (allow I haven't looke
            >at the Czech phone book)
            >
            >Cheers
            >
            >Tony P

            I have a cousin living in Praha. His ancestral home was in the Bardejov
            area where you're eventually headed. We toured Slovakia together in
            1999. I can contact him for advice. Send me a private E-mail with details
            if you're interested.

            http://www.pragahotel.com/pages/hotel_dum_u_cerveneho_lva.php3

            Janko
          • John Sefcik
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
              Try this link:
              http://www.prague-hotel.ws/prague-hotel-dum-u-cerveneho-lva.asp

              John

[...]

            • Bernardine Weigand
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
                I too would recommend the same agency. Both our trips to Slovakia (also CZ, Hungary,Poland, Austria) were arranged by AIT and there were no problems.

                Paul Hudak is the owner/manager. Their toll-free # is: 800-542-2487

                Bernardine

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
                  I just wanted to recommend two things in Prague: the State Opera, and
                  the Museum of Communism. My sister & I saw "La Traviata" at the State
                  Opera and the music and the theater are were beautiful. My sister
                  thought the sets could have been better. We sat in the third row of
                  the balcony for $13. The Museum of Communism is very informative.
                  They have ironicly funny ads around town, but everything inside is
                  very serious. Also they have great concerts in St. Nicholas Church on
                  the old town square, the Hussite Church.

                  Colin

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, agp <agp@t...> wrote:
                  > Hi all
                  >
                  > I entitle this as close to topic as it deals with the Czech republic
                  as
                  > opposed to our dear Slovakia, but I since we are all slavic brothers
                  and
                  > sisters -- why not ask here!
                  >
                  > I am looking for a way to book a hotel in Prague. The hotel is the
                  House
                  > of the Red Lion (Dom u Cerveneho Lva -- I think - -I don't have my
                  papers
                  > with me). I have been trying to find a good way of booking them, but
                  keep
                  > coming up with only booking agencies in Prague, some of which want
                  my
                  > credit card info via a non-secured website -- something I won't do!
                  >
                  > So, can anyone recommend a travel agent in the USA who might be able
                  > book it for me. Or does anyone have a good rcommended alternative in
                  the
                  > Czech republic to book them.
                  >
                  > I can't seem to find a direct phone number for them (allow I haven't
                  looke
                  > at the Czech phone book)
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Tony P
                • agp
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 7, 2003
                    Hi all

                    Thanks to everyone for their advise on this and on what money to have in
                    hand while travelling. Just 3 1/2 weeks to go!!!!

                    And thank you to Colin for the ideas on some places to see. The Museum of
                    Communism sounds to be a great visit. (As an aside, I am also planning to
                    visit the Statue Park in Budapest to see some old rusting Lenins).

                    After much wrangling, I finally found a direct website and phone number
                    for the Dum u Cerveneho Lva (The house at the Red Lion Hotel) in Prague.
                    Unfortunately they were booked, but own a similar hotel, The Golden Star.
                    So, I got that at the same price.

                    It was interesting to call them and navigate to an english speaker via a
                    smattering of phrase book Slovak.

                    Oh -- one word of caution to all -- be very aware of booking hotels that
                    require your credit card info at their website when booking. Almost all of
                    the websites I found for Prague hotels, wanted a credit card, which is
                    okay -- however NONE of them were secured websites. NEVER submit your
                    credit card details on non secured websites. To be sure of a secured
                    website, make sure that the address says https and not just http, and that
                    you have a small icon of a closed lock at the bottom of your browser!

                    Tony P
                    -- your freindly neighbourhood slovak computer geek!