Re: [Slovak-World] OT - Warshing cloze

  • June A. Malina
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 30 10:17 PM
      Thanks, Jan, for the memory prompts. I, too, have fond memories of my mother
      washing clothes in the basement of a bungalow in Cicero, Illinois...and her
      process followed yours quite closely, including using the bluing!

      My mother would start by making a fire in the water heater furnace...as opposed
      to the furnace that heated the house. She would get coal from the coal bin in
      the basement. The coal bin was next to the "fruit cellar" a small enclosed room
      with a door and tiny window. We kept homemade canned food there.

      Most important, were our conversations. I'm sure telling her daughter about her
      childhood in Cicero, Illinois and her career at Western Electric and her
      courtship by Paul, were a lot more fun for my mother than concentrating on doing
      the laundry. And I sat, entranced, on the basement stairs, listening to her
      every word. We bonded. My siblings really didn't care for her stories, so
      disappeared in case there might be work to be done...but I was fascinated by her
      stories...and we bonded as I sat on the basement stairs and listened. More
      stories were shared the next day when she ironed...everything...sheets, petina
      covers, shirts, blouses, pajamas, etc. and I listened to her stories. My
      siblings wondered how, after my mother died, I knew her favorite colors, the men
      she dated before she married my father, her dreams for herself, and her dreams
      for her children. I knew because I listened on laundry and ironing days!

      June Malina

    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 4, 2003
        Wow, this was truly roughing it.