Slovak wines

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
      Grand Opening of SlovakWine.com!! Click here
      <http://www.slovakwine.com> to go straight there!

      Our thanks go out to many of you who have stuck with us through this
      long process. We initially thought we would have wine in the US last
      year, and though headaches and delays have bogged us down, we are now
      proud to announce that our wine is on sale now at Slovakwine.com!

      Our first wines cover a wide range of tastes. We have two reds, two
      whites, and one Tokaj. Our reds are Cabernet Sauvignon and
      Svatovavrinecke, our whites are Rizling Rynsky and Veltlinske Zelene,
      and our Tokaj is a 4 Putnovy. These unique wines are the only Slovak
      wines available in the US. Our hope is that many of you will enjoy these
      wines so we can bring in more! wines in the near future, from both
      Slovakia and the Czech Republic, that cover more wine types and a bigger
      price range.

      SPECIAL!! - Anyone who orders a case of wine from Slovakwine.com will
      receive one free year of tuition at LearnSlovak.com. That is a $240
      value, free! Just order your case today and then contact us for the free
      account at Learnslovak.com. The case can be any combination of 12
      bottles.

      Slovakwine.com is owned by Seiler Importing. This is what you will see
      on your credit card bill once you have ordered from us. For fastest
      service, order the wine online and it will be shipped right to your
      door. If you would like though, we have attached! an order form that
      you can print out, fill out, and either mail in to us at the address
      below or fax it in. If you would rather send a check with the order
      form instead of filling in your credit card information, that is ok as
      well. Make checks payable to Seiler Importing.

      Slovakwine.com
      c/o Brad Seiler
      320 W. Illinois St. #C109
      Chicago, IL 60610
      Phone: 800-776-5646
      Fax: 312-881-7323

      We are going to send out a few follow up emails to you explaining a
      little more about our wines. After the emails about our wines, we may
      send out a few about ourselves and the 16 month process we went through
      to get the wine here. It should be a fun look back on a painful
      process. If you want to stop any more of these emails from coming,
      simply click on the remove me link below.

      Thank you all for hanging in with us as we struggled to finally get
      this great wine here!

      Regards,

      Brad Seiler & Vladimir Gecelovsky

      We do not buy or sell email addresses. The following is the only way
      you have gotten on this email list. You have submitted your email to us
      or emailed us directly at slovakwine.com, czechwines.com,
      learnslovak.com, slovakairlines.com, czechslovak.com,
      bratislavaslovakia.com, tokays.com, seilerimporting.com,
      winetimeshare.com or boberdoo.com. If you believe that you have not
      done this, please click on the remove link and/or email us at
      info@... and we will manually remove your email address
      from this system and also research how you got on this list. We hate
      SPAM just like the next person and if you did get this by mistake, our
      apologies.
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2005
        Does anyone have any recommendations for particular wines to buy in Slovakia (to bring back)? How about places to buy wine in any of these cities:

        B-slava
        Kos~ice
        Pres~ov
        Martin

        Thanks in advance,
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2005
          I'm not a wine drinker, but I have heard nothing but
          good about the wines from the Tokaj region -- which is
          not far from Kosice -- there is a ton of information
          on the Internet about the Wines of Tokaj, FYI.

          Caye

          --- Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
          > Does anyone have any recommendations for particular
          > wines to buy in Slovakia (to bring back)? How about
          > places to buy wine in any of these cities:
          >
          > B-slava
          > Kos~ice
          > Pres~ov
          > Martin
          >
          > Thanks in advance,

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2005
            Suggestion buy Australian wine in Metro. Less expensive than Slovak vinegar
            type of wines.

            At 07:32 AM 02/05/2005, you wrote:
            >Does anyone have any recommendations for particular wines to buy in
            >Slovakia (to bring back)? How about places to buy wine in any of these cities:
            >
            >B-slava
            >Kos~ice
            >Pres~ov
            >Martin
            >
            >Thanks in advance,

            > *
            >
            > *
          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2005
              Let me repost two reviews of Riesling/Rizling 2002, kas~tiel/Chateau
              Bela', in Muz~la (see below). It might be impossible, Helen, to find
              it at the initial price it sold for in Slovakia (about $4.25) before
              it reached international recognition. It could still be available in
              some stores (most alcohol is sold in supermarkets in Slovakia, there
              aren't many specialized liquor stores) for around $13.

              Much of it, and especially of its even higher-rated 2001 vintage
              (selling for up to $100 now) has since been yanked from the domestic
              market and exported. It would be fun to find an ultra-cheap bottle
              lingering on a shelf in an tiny store somewhere off the beaten track
              (I wouldn't hold my breath).

              The vintage 2003 of this wine has had reasonably good reviews, too.

              Martin

              votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

              x x x

              Critics Platinum: 2002 Chateau Bela Riesling, Sturovo Region,
              Muzla, $18.99 -- Fruity and tropical with bright acidity... Tart.

              2002 CHATEAU BELA, STUROVO, MUZLA (SLOVAKIA), RIESLING --
              Lovely, lime-like riesling aroma. Very, very bright and refreshing
              lime and flowers aroma. Nice citrus-peel 'minerality.' Blossoms to
              a complex bouquet of peach, grapefruit, wax, nut, mint, and lentil.
              Jorge adds 'Peruvian lemon.' A cross between Austria and Australia!
              Barely off dry, with nice acidity. Red currant snap. Rich and long.
              Unique. Sultry and eager. Lots of vitality and depth. Fabulous
              start here. Price each $18.99
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                I've had Slovak vinegar/wine and I've had excellent Slovak wines, both at the emassy here in Washington, but I just can't remember the name of the good stuff, even though I remember looking at the label.

                Helen

                >>> vlinder49@... 05/02/05 10:53 AM >>>

                Suggestion buy Australian wine in Metro. Less expensive than Slovak vinegar
                type of wines.

                At 07:32 AM 02/05/2005, you wrote:
                >Does anyone have any recommendations for particular wines to buy in
                >Slovakia (to bring back)? How about places to buy wine in any of these cities:
                >
                >B-slava
                >Kos~ice
                >Pres~ov
                >Martin
                >
                >Thanks in advance,

                > *
                >
                > *

                To visit your group on the web, go to:
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                  Thanks, Martin, I'll give it a try.

                  Helen

                  >>> votrubam@... 05/02/05 1:58 PM >>>
[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  To visit your group on the web, go to:
                • LHBrigham
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                    Go to Spectacular Slovakia:
                    http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2003/03_low_mountains.html
                    This is the part of the web site discussing the wine region of the Low
                    Carpathians just north of Bratislava.
                    Then, click on one of the wineries like Masaryk:
                    http://www.spectacularslovakia.sk/ss2003/03_masaryk.html
                    and you can read about some of the better wineries in the area. I
                    suggest that you attempt to visit one or more of these wineries and
                    sample their wines while in country. If you find one that you really
                    like - brink it home.

                    My experience with Slovak wine was limited - and the 2 bottles we had
                    were not that impressive. I would not spend the required effort to
                    bring them home. However, I did bring home 4 liters of home made
                    Slivovitza given to me by my relatives. This homemade Slivovitza is far
                    more important to me than all of the Tokay in Slovakia. I have even
                    developed a liking for it!!!!

                    Lowell

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                      I always forget about the _Spectator_ and Spectacular Slovakia. Thanks for the reminder. I printed out the "Pick of the Crop" list and will take it with me.

                      Helen

                      >>> LHBrigham@... 05/02/05 5:32 PM >>>

                      Helen Fedor wrote:

                      >Does anyone have any recommendations for particular wines to buy in Slovakia (to bring back)? How about places to buy wine in any of these cities:
                      >
                      >B-slava
                      >Kos~ice
                      >Pres~ov
                      >Martin
                      >
                      >Thanks in advance,
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                      To visit your group on the web, go to:
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 23, 2006
                        Here's an article on Slovak wines that appeared in "Wines & Vines," Oct. 2004. It was brought to my attention by the author, who did some research here at LC:

                        http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3488/is_10_85/ai_n6254314

                        Unfortunately, the importer (Seiler) went out of business.

                      • Gregory J Kopchak
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006
                          Helen:

                          My daughter-in-law is running a food and wine experience at the
                          Chase Park Plaza in Saint Louis, Missouri on January 28 and 29, 2006.

                          Over 400 wines from all over the world will be available for tasting
                          along with some fabulous foods.

                          www.repstl.org/events/foodandwine/index.shtml

                          Liana has been working over a year to get things ready.

                          Greg Kopchak
                          It's All Relative

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 24, 2006